Do you have free speech? SF transit blocks cellphones to disrupt protest!

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/terms/Article_2011-08-13-US-BART-Phone-Jamming/id-e39c2fdc9cf64260ab8ed00d1efa85ea "It all boils down to the safety of the public," Fairow said. "It wasn't a decision made lightly. This wasn't about free speech. It was about safety." This is total B,S. I don't care what they thought might happen the reality is people pay for a service and they are deciding it is in their interest to control them by cutting them off. I really don't care what was the start of the protest as long as they aren't doing anything illegal no agency has the right to try and stop them. How can our government sit around and talk about censorship and oppression of information and knowledge in other countries but do the same thing? What if someone has a medical emergency like a heart attack? Are they going to take responsibility for the person dying? I doubt it. Welcome to communism people, the few decide what is wrong and right for the many and screw the constitution and your first amendment rights.
When was America really free? I laugh when people say we have freedom of speech and freedom itself in this country. No, that is not the case. In other countries, people can protest for their rights and even if they get arrested it does not impact their lives. But in United States, if you get arrested while protesting your potential to get a job in the future becomes slim. I remember that a few years ago (after 2000)people were fired from their job just because they displayed their loyalty towards a specific political party.
Really? wow, I never heard about that.. I think there was a lot of freedom for a long time, but these trends are very disturbing!
@Adoniah (7515)
A precedent has now been set. They have gotten away with it and now it will be done over and over. We have just lost one more freedom and no one is doing anything about it. Chalk another one up to American wimpiness!!! When are we going to grow a backbone? When are we going to demand our rights. This is not about safety or someone possibly having a heart attack and not getting medical attention. This is about our civil liberties being taken away DAILY!!!
@bobmnu (8160)
I can see blocking cell phones if you have a crises or in the case of riots where people are organizing the trouble via cell phones if you can get a judges order on a case by case situation. but not a government agency deciding to do it because there might be a protest. Besides in SF they don't have trouble, the city of peace and love the extreamist there get together for a few Molotov Cocktails and some weed. They may throw a bomb or two but nothing like a nuclear bomb or at least not a big one.
@peavey (16829)
I agree; that's BS. There is no respect for the rights of the people any more, from anyone. How can they cut off a service like that? It should be illegal if it's not. They don't care about anyone but themselves.