Who's Your Pick for the Republican Nominee for President?

@debrakcarey (19924)
As most of my regular responders know I am only able to get online once a week so if you want a livley and timely discussion you may pass this one by. I will answer, just not quickly. I watched the Republican Debate on FOX and paid close attention to the Iowa straw poll and many discussions on FOX network during the last week or so. What do you think of the dropping out of Tim Pawlenty and the entering in of Rick Perry. How did the other candidates do in your opinion? What about Michelle Bachmann's winning the straw poll, are you impressed with her? Will you be voting according to your social ideology or by who is best for our economy? In short, what's your opinion on the Republican field so far? I haven't made up my mind yet but am leaning towards Bachmann or Perry. Let me know what YOU think if you are voting in the Republican Primary next fall.
@carmelanirel (20979)
Hey, where you been? I was thinking of you not too long ago.. Wasn't there another candidate? One who tried running last time or the time before, but I can't remember his name. Yeah, I am not that much into politics, and it is too early for me to make a decision on who I am voting for..
@debrakcarey (19924)
I haven't had access to the internet since I became unemployed. Borrowing time on my ex's dime right now. Take the time to investigate if you can, this election is very important as you've heard me say before. It is early, but I'm watching all of them so I not to have to make a hurried decision. How have you been? I won't be back on to answer till next week so don't feel I'm ignoring you.
@debrakcarey (19924)
I've started a Business Tech. certificate course and will be busy with that. Mostly stuff I already know, but this will give me a certificate to list on my resume. Plan on taking some college credit courses as the Career Center here articulates with the two year college we have here in town and I will be eligable for 36 FREE hours of course work! Going for a Journalism degree. What do you think?
Sounds like a plan... So you are thinking of going into journalism? That was one job I knew I wouldn't enjoy..Personally I prefer writing fiction, which is probably why I am struggling so hard writing my resume and cover letter..Ugh, I really need to get this done and over with.. Thanks for letting me know your plans, I hope we both accomplish our goals...:)
@djbtol (5498)
Not really close to a decision yet, but I have a few impressions. Romney will be one of my least favorite. He acts too much like the mainline GOP or a RINO, so I don't think he will put forth the effort to make some real changes. I am suspecting that Palin is not running. Pawlenty is out. Bachmann is certainly an option - I like a strong conservative. Still learning about Perry. I did see his recent statement saying that the science behind global warming is weak. I could love a candidate for injecting some common sense into the global warming scam!
@debrakcarey (19924)
I'm in agreement with you for the most part. Perry did force the HPV vaccine on middle school girls in TX and I'm investigating that before I give him a pass on it. Right now I too am listening and watching closely. I like Bachmann, only worried she'll get so frustrated with the attacks she'll say or do something to fuel the fire. And can a woman get elected? I'm certainly NOT sexist, but more the realist. Paul turned me off by saying it didn't matter if Iran went nuclear during the debate, we need someone who can stand up to tyrants as the world is full of them. Romney is a democrat in disguise. So is Huntsman. I like Herman Cain but worry about his foreign policy strength. Santorum is stronger now and I'm listening closely to him as well. I liked Gingrich's response on the debate about the MSM and those gotcha questions they like to throw at the candidates. He does have the experience but is HE electable? He has a history to overcome. It's going to be an interesting year! We need someone who can beat Obama for sure. And I may be willing to give Perry a pass on the forced vaccines at a later time if it looks like he's strong enough to win.
@djbtol (5498)
It is interesting and there is a lot to ponder. I would trade in the bunch of them for one really strong candidate that can win the election, but I'm not sure 'the ideal' exists. There are two issues at hand: We want a president that will be effective and smart in office. We also want a president that can win the election (beating obama or whoever they throw up). I'm not sure it takes the same kind of person to do both. Look at obama - absolutely worthless in office, but able to fool the masses during the election.
@debrakcarey (19924)
I would be happy if ONE of them could BEAT Obama too. His approval rating is so low now that it may seem easy, but as they're all saying; alot can happen in 15 months. I look for a real 'dirty' campaign coming from the left. Maxine Waters is alreay fired up and spreading 'good cheer'. Her remarks about the Tea Party are going to be par for the course I think.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
So far, I'm liking Ron Paul, with Gary Johnson coming in second. But, I know it won't happen. The party will end up either selecting an establishment slicker like Romney or Santorum or a poser like Bachman or Perry. None of which stand a ice cube's chance in a fusion reactor of winning against Obama.
@debrakcarey (19924)
I disagree with you on Bachmann but can you tell me why you feel Perry is a poser? I don't know much about him and my limited internet access is stifling my research. What can you tell me about Johnson too? And there was another unknown in the straw poll as well (don't remmeber his name). As I said above, Ron Paul was getting my interest until he said it didn't matter if Iran went nuclear. I am not a fan of going to war needlessly, but by saying that he showed me he is naive about the danger to the US and Israel posed by radical Islam. In a perfect world, Ron Paul would be my choice, but we live in a dangerous time and we need to have a President who understands that danger.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Can you give me some links on Bachmann's and Perry's views? I know they both are campaigning on a morality base but HOW do they intend to put these views into law? It's one thing to hold a view on morallity and another on trying to put your views into law. Are you sure they both INTEND to go this route? As for Ron Paul, I did watch the debate and heard his remarks. I am agreeing with you that he is mostly right in what he says and that he is honest in what he says. BUT, would he take the step into war if it was needed? I am trying to be a realist here, as I said; I do not want war by any means but the real world sometimes intrudes on what we may want. I wish I had more internet time to research these things. Normally I would look for the answers myself but since having to borrow time that is impossible. IS Ron Paul electable? What are the numbers on him in the serious polls? I'm still up for grabs on who I am supporting. I like a little bit of all of them.
@marie2052 (3697)
My husband and I ponder over this listening to the news talk shows on radio and tv. Personally I really like Herman Cain. He has built a business from ground up and knows what it takes for someone to start a business. Kind of reminds you of the olden days when your word was all you had. I love Michelle Bachmann she is holding her own with all the other republican candidates. Now secretly, I would LOVE to see Herman Cain Debate the annointed one (Obama) From Obama we have heard the republicans and tea partiers are racist, when he did not get what he wanted, When the Republicans got enough votes for the House, he still cut a few racial slurs. Now that he did not win this last bill the way he wanted to you know he is blaming it on politics. WHile I am not Obamas best follower, I can honestly and genuinely feel if I was serving in the military today with the way he has not stood up and worked as a president should for the good of the nation, I would have had to go AWOL. I could not have had to stop and salute him as the Commander in Chief when he is not assisting to run the country as a president does. My husband and I both argue as we both have served in the military. But I do know I could not have served under this man watching him what he is busy taking away from Americans. And it does not matter if you are black, white, or purple with pink polkadots. His ideas of love for our country sure don't mesh with mine or my ancestors that worked hard every day to farm and grow what we needed to survive. All we can do is listen carefully and vote from the heart next year. This race is something much bigger than each individual person. And we need each thought to come together and work together for the goodness of the country. I say this willingly because I served under 2 wars Vietnam and Desert Storm. Bless everyone in the military right now, and all people struggling because of lack of jobs and money. I just pray the next president voted in will see how hard everyone is struggling and be able to make differences for us instead of having a vacation going, golfing trip, person that would rather do that than actually get up and lead. And don't anyone wonder why there are no Democrat candidates that should have stepped up by now if they were going to run? and why is Obama campaining when he should be doing his job? He is already in the white house but how he acts he sure don't show it. Lots and Lots to think about before the final election day. Good luck to us all andGod bless us to do the right thing.
@debrakcarey (19924)
I agree with you that Obama is NOT doing his job and there are quite a few military who have said so publically. A couple are even in lock up for refusing to follow his orders to deploy. I too have wondered why the (lol) annointed one is off in a bus he bought with our tax money from CANADA (love you Canadians) instead of an American company, campaigning instead of working to solve this crisis HE is responsible for. Yes, he is responsible. He may have inherited a mess, but EVERY president has inherited a mess of one sort or another, but Obama has made this one a hundred times worse than when he started. If I may say so; it almost seems like it is on purpose? How can such a smart Harvard grad. do such STUPID things? Got to have been deliberate! lol I've heard rumors the DNC plans on putting forth another candidate besides him. George Soros is even dissing him in the press. If you'll remember, Soros was his largest backer in 2008. Anyway, Herman Cain is proof the Tea Party is not against Obama simply because he is black. Cain enjoys ample Tea Party support across the nation. We just want results and a working president who understands how the economy and foreign relations work. I am a little hesitant to support Mr. Cain due to his not having experience in foreign relations. But I did like his answer that he would surround himself with loyal and knowledgable advisors. Is that enough? That is what I am not sure of.
@marie2052 (3697)
wow I never expected to get a best response on any political discussion. I try to stay pretty tame on subjects so I am not angering someone or walking on their toes so to speak. While you are right that Mr. Cain did not have experience in foreign relations, What can we say Obama really did except fund raisers. yes he was a so called Senator in Illinois. But before he ran for Democrat president had any place other than Illinois heard of him? I loved the idea of Cain because he worked hard to get where he was. I respect that. I ran a business for 25 years and if anyone had EVER told me I would be doing what I did in business I would have laughed at them in the face. Probably being more political because of being in the military I for one know there is no single handed person that can know everything all over the world. Why do people think the pentagon is within walking distance to the White House and Capitol? When you are in a higher office whether it be a General or a President, there is expectations that you have done certain obligations that would have you the rights to this position. I hold Generals, Colonels, Lt. Colonels, and even Majors to a high esteem. If it had not been for their capability and knowledge and expertise in learning, imagine what our country would be like. there is so much more going on that even though this is a political discussion, I just don't want the backlash of knawing at me. I guess the military taught me when to speak and when to stay quiet. I will never claim being racial or prejudice over cultures. I learned a lot about both being in D.C. during the racial wars at the tender age of 18, and I also came face to face with a Viet Cong. Decisions are made sometimes in the heat of anger. Unfortunately once words are said, or actions and reaction is taken, it leaves a wound. If allowed the wound festers. Pretty much where our country is right now. Again thank you for making me best response. I was proud to serve the military, and there is not a day now that I genuinely feel sorry for all the troops that have to call him their Commander in Chief. I am sorry Mr Cain was struck down. He had a vision. Pretty much like Martin Luther King whom I hold high regard for to this very day.
@debrakcarey (19924)
You spoke from the heart and were honest. You deserve this best response.
@dragon54u (31635)
I would like to see Herman Cain get the nomination. I know, he's said some controversial stuff but it's been all twisted around into something that wasn't intended for the most part. People are determined to misunderstand so that they can get a sensational headline or soundbite. I know he won't get the nomination and that's too bad. I don't really like anyone else. And now, yesterday, Bachmann promises gas below $2 if she's president--what folly! And so unwise..I'm tired of people promising things they may not be able to do and controlling gas prices is nearly impossible because they can't control the price of oil. Perry used to be a democrat. So did Reagan, but Perry just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. Still, I'd prefer him over Romney. We don't have very good candidates--again. Too bad an average, normal person with good ideas can't run and get nominated. It takes so much freakin' money to run that only wealthy people or those with some big connections can afford to try for public office.
@dragon54u (31635)
By the way, great to see you here! I hope you get more online time soon, we miss you! You're in my prayers.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Thank you dragon. I miss you guys too. What needs to be done is the supporters of any particular candidate need to get real vocal online. I've participated in some polls and some petitions to get Allen West to run. Things like that can be done with very little money spent. Name recognition is what counts come time to vote in primaries. Get your candidate's name out there as much as you can. Facebook is a good place to campaign for your favorite. I'd like to see more people fired up about this, it's that important! I like Cain too. But like you I worry about his electability. I feel there is something Perry is hiding too. Well, have to research and ask for opinions is all. Much can change in the time before the primaries.
@mehale (2200)
I am leaning toward Cain as of now. He has strong business and economic experience, he has some very good ideas to fix the nation's problems, he seems to stand behind his values, plus he has a lot of common sense and is not a career politician. I do not like Perry, and he is my state's governor...lol. I also don't trust Romney and really and not sure about most of the rest. Unfortunately I am not sure that Cain can get enough support to win the nomination. I just hope that it does not come down to either Perry or Romney.
@debrakcarey (19924)
Hello, sorry it took me so long to respond. Well, Cain is out. If the democrats think Bill Clinton is the greatest president EVER after having S3x in the oval office, why is it the merest hint of a s3x scandal from a republican candidate for president generates such outrage? I'm old enough to remember when democrats wanted to silence a black man who was not toeing the line, all they'd have to do is accuse him of impropriety with a white woman...do you think that is what took place? I don't care for Perry either, just intuition. I don't trust Romney and I've heard Gingrich was seen at one of the Bohemian Grove (gathering for VIP big government types) get togethers, BUT I do want to see him debate Obama. THAT would MAKE my whole year! The man IS intelligent. Right now, I'm backing Gingrich or Romney as one of them will be the nominee. Where has your support gone since Cain is out?