What to do if a dog has fleas?

@Judy890 (1633)
What should I do to get rid of the fleas? I caught 7-9 fleas yesterday on my dog I'm afraid the eggs are still on her, What should I do as I'm new to having a dog?
If you want an inexpensive way to shampoo your animal the best thing to use is dawn dish soap. It doesn't hurt the animal but kills the fleas pretty fast. The spray is good but only lasts until the dog cleans it off. The best thing for the fleas is at the vet. They have a new pill that works great but is a little pricy. Also you can try putting garlic powder or yeast in the dogs food, although the dogs breath might be a bit smelly lol. The fleas don't like the smell and deters them from the dogs skin.
@Judy890 (1633)
You know my next door neighbor came over today and told me that she used dawn dish soap on her cat and told me it got rid of the fleas I'm just not sure if it will work for dogs maybe I'll give it a try since dawn dish soap is inexpensive.
what seems to be the active ingredients of Dawn Dish soap that other liquid soap has not? coz here in our place there is no Dawn Dish soap available.
Palmolive dish soap also works. Most dish detergents work i just find that Dawn works the best and is less irritating to the dogs skin if used on a regular basis. Dish soap should only be used if having problems with fleas and not as a regular shampoo for the animal.
@petersum (4526)
First a bath, then you have the choice of a flea spray which the dog wont like, or a flea collar that takes a while to work.
@Judy890 (1633)
Thanks petersum I guess I've have to buy some first thing tomorrow
@joystick (1680)
You can buy a shampoo for a dog that gets rid of the fleas and just to ensure that they are gone, you should also treat the dog with either flea treatment from a vets, like drop things that go on the back of the dogs neck, or the spray that you can get.Also at the same time as treating for the fleas, you should treat the dogs for worms.
@dlpierce (476)
I would suggest you get a good flea control that you apply on your dogs back or back of neck. The cheap stuff does not work well, ask a vet for their opinion as which one to use. Use this after you have given the dog a bath. Don't use flea collars as some dogs are allergic to them. The reaction can be deadly.
@marianne87 (3526)
I don't have a dog but I have 3 cats and fleas are a huge problem for us every summer. There are a lot of cats in our street, and its a hotspot for foxes too, not to mention rats as we are near the river, so fleas are commonplace. I can't guarantee this gets rid of them completely, but what we do is give all the cats flea tablets, and bathe them, and within a day or two of this we have to get the kids out for the day and spray the house from top to bottom too. It certainly keeps the numbers down to a minimum, if nothing else. This summer as usual we have a flea problem, I am considering flea bombs (you set them off in the house but you have to be out for the day) they release an insecticide gas which is apparently great for killing fleas. However you would still have to treat the dog.