The results of Obama's new amnesty for illegal immigrants.

@speakeasy (4215)
[b][/b]Could he have chosen a better "poster child" for his new amnesty policy that shows his utter disregard for America and the American taxpayer? http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/23/us/23immig.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha23 The first individual to be the recipient of amnesty is a Mr Guerra - a 27 year old Mexican living in Florida who has been keeping his deportation case tied up in US courts for the past FIVE years. During those 5 years he has "been a Florida leader of the illegal immigrant student movement, helping to organize a protest walk by four students to Washington and a mock university held by students wearing mortarboards on Capitol Hill." He is NOT in college and has never been in the military. He is waiting to get a work visa now just so that he can "be legally eligible for the first time to apply for financial aid that would allow him to continue his religious studies"; so, he can become a priest. So, he has used taxpayer dollars to tie up the court system for five years (even if he somehow came up with the money to pay his attorneys, we paid for the judges, prosecutors, etc.). During that time he has been very active politically stirring up trouble with his protests. He is waiting now to get a work visa so he can qualify for financial aid (taxpayer dollars and taking both a college position and financial aid that could go to an American citizen). All of this, just so, he can eventually become a priest; but, as politically active as he has proven himself to be - do we really believe he will even attempt to maintain separation of church and state (part of the foundation our country was based on) once he graduates? And, there are currently 300,000 more people in the system that Obama wants to grant amnesty to (only after a case by case review, of course) that he wants to dump in our laps. This does not count the hundreds of thousands more that will come crawling out of the woodwork to try to take advantage of this amnesty program. If Obama had handpicked this individual out of all the pending deportation cases; he could not have shown his disregard for America and the American people any more strongly than he has with this indiviual. In this time of recession with federal debt growing by leaps and bounds he is forcing more nonproductive people into our system and taking support away from our own young citizens that would enable them to get college educations and better their own lives.
I think now more that ever Obama will do all he possible can to get amnesty for illegals because he desperately needs their "gratitude votes" for the upcoming election. His presidential approval rating is only 26%. As of today this is the lowest approval rating ever for Obama in his presidency. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll
@speakeasy (4215)
The amnesty he granted them only allows them the right to stay in the US without paying any penalties for being here illegally in the first place. It does not give them citizenship or the right to vote. It does not even give them the right to work; it just gives them the right to apply for a "work visa" so they can earn money to support themselves (and take a job from an American citizen). Then, they still need to meet several other requirements before they can apply for citizenship and voting rights (a lot of them just want the right to work here and send money home which is where they plan to retire anyway - they do not even want citizenship). So, few, if any, of them will actually be able to register and vote in 2012 - the time is too short.
@Adoniah (7515)
Do you realize that most illegals vote. There is a little town a hundred miles north of where I live. It is full of illegals because of the type of work that is done there (fern industry). Many of these people get public assistance and medicaid, housing and yes, they somehow were added to the election roles in the local little towns. They do vote because they are bussed in to the poles on election day. I will bet that this is not the only area in the US where this is going on...I just happen to know about this one.
I never knew that illegals were also committing voter fraud when will the list of crimes perpetrated by these people ever stop!!! GRRRR
@peavey (16640)
Obama doesn't care about America, that should be obvious by now to anyone. Unfortunately, there are enough others who don't care about America either to keep him afloat for the time being. Amnesty or not, these people are low life scum. Just what we need.
@speakeasy (4215)
We someone or somthing that will instill a sense of pride in America. Not just things that devalue being an American, like this does. Obama clearly is not the "someone" that we need to accomplish that.
@peavey (16640)
I agree.
@Adoniah (7515)
More free votes...More folks on welfare...More folks in poverty...Less middle class...Small wealthy class~Definition of Socialism. Just what The Obominations have been working for since day one...What was the question?
@speakeasy (4215)
No question; just a follow up on the discussion I posted before this one when he came out with this policy and said he didn't care about our immigration laws and was going to do whatever he wanted to do.
@Taskr36 (13925)
Oh, I'm sure you know why this was the first "undocumented Democrat" chosen. This guy can rally more illegals to vote democrat once they get amnesty. I really think that's what the whole amnesty crap is about, political power.
@speakeasy (4215)
That is what it is about to the politicians. But, actually this may backfire against him before they are able to do any voting. The amnesty he is granting them only puts them on a path to citizenship. It will be several years before they can actually do any voting. However, he has just strengthened the Republican opposition to him and he has even alienated the Democrats that come from states where illegal immigration is a real problem. He may not be able to get any legislation passed that he wants now.
@mehale (2200)
This is a subject that really makes me angry! There are thousands of people waiting and following the rules to come to this country LEGALLY and yet we now give the ILLEGALS amnesty and allow them to stay? This is in no way fair or right. I truly think it is simple politics and the Dems trying desperately to get more votes any way they can. On the other hand, don't they realize how many American citizens that they angered by doing this?
@speakeasy (4215)
I think a lot of the people who support illegal immigrants (and, they are not all politicians) are short sighted, naive, apathetic, and misguided. They do not take a close look at how allowing this to continue will affect their families and the country as a whole - short sighted. They think that since we have survived earlier waves of illegal immigrants we will always be able to absorb them into our country - naive. They think it is not possible to do anything; so, why not give in - apathetic. They listen to politicians (who want votes), business leaders (who want cheap labor) and religious leaders (who want larger congregations and find many illegal immigrants are very religious) who try to get them to believe what illegal immigrants are "good" - misguided. Those of us who are angry need to let our politicians know we won't take it any more. We need to tell business leaders that we will not continue to support them if they support illegal immigration (I no longer shop at PetsMart after their CEO and other business leaders threw their campaign dollars into preventing AZ from passing another anti-illegal immigration bill). We need to let religioius leaders know that they need to keep OUT of politics and start supporting citizens in their own communities (I stopped going to church when our church started getting into politics and telling it's members what they should think about illegal immigrants, the war on terror and other issues.
@mehale (2200)
Very well said. Honestly the churches and corporations need to stop trying to control the government. I did not know about PetsMart though, thank you for that info. People need to stand up for their rights and their country and hold government accountable for its actions. Only then will we actually be able to have true and much needed change in our country.
@speakeasy (4215)
We also need to hold businesses responsible for the influence they have in these decisions. The group of business people who influenced AZ to not pass more anti-illegal immigrant laws had 60 companies that signed a letter that went to all of our legislators (one of whom published the letter AND all of the companies that signed). Petsmart was the only company on the list that I went to routinely; but, they lost my business as a result. Businesses have NO vote; but, they have money that can be donated or withheld from politicians and that gives them a LOT of influence. They need to be held responsible for their actions in politics too.
@daeckardt (6245)
While I don't agree with illegal aliens getting free money, I don't know that deportation is the answer. If these people want to get money from the system, I think they should have to work for a certain number of years (at least 5 to get anything) where they show that they paid taxes and everything else that citizens do. Since he has been in the court system for five years, perhaps he should be required to work for an additional 10 years before becoming eligible for any kind of assistance. Everyone has a right to some kind of quality of life and that is one reason so many people try to come here for that. I just wish that they would make an effort to come into the country legally. Of course, money is an issue for the people who come in illegally and I don't know whether that should be used against them. As far as the federal debt, if the government would stop wasting so much money on bailouts and wars, there wouldn't be all that debt and they could support social services.
@speakeasy (4215)
The only reason they are poor when they get here is the fact that they have paid thousands of dollars to get themselves here illegally. It is not a simple matter of walking across a border - they pay bribes and fees to get safely into this country. If they would take the money they saved to get here illegally and invested it in themselves and their own country - the conditions in their country would not be so bad. They should stay home and fix what they have rather than coming to our country and taking what we have. They either chose to come here illegally or their parents made that choice for them. We did not go to their country and force them to come here. We are not forcing them to stay. We do not owe them anything. They should not be allowed to stay here if they are here illegally. They should go home and take what they have with them and THEN they should apply to come here legally like anyone else from their country if they want to come back. Because there are so many of them and they are so vocal; there is now talk of revoking birthright citizenship and there is talk of confiscating their property here in the US so they will have less of an incentive to try to return. The new laws in Alabama are the toughest anti-illegal immigrant laws in the US today and many other states are following with their own laws.
@daeckardt (6245)
ok. It is getting harder and harder for me to want to stay in this country myself even though I was born here and have been a citizen all my life. The way things are going here, I think I would be better off going to another country myself.