Medication Madness. I am Seriously Confused

@cynthiann (18619)
Jamaica
My sister left a herbal pill with me tealed that I must take at night as I often have problems sleeping They worked too. so last night I googled the pill and found out that it can be addictive. As I don't have anymore then that problem is solvedake quiteve to t. But I then researched my other medication - I am prescribed quite a number. Well the first pill researched revealed that if I drink grapefruit juice I may have a stroke. That's nice isn't it? Number two pill stated that I should not drink alcohol otherwise I may have a seizure BUT if I am already drinking alcohol when I begin to take this med then I must NOT STOP as I may have a seizure Number 3 pill should not be taken if I want to be alert. Nothing mentioned about driving or machinery like I usually read. Just do not take if you need to be alert. WOW! Number 4 pill should not be taken if I take number 1 pill Number 5 pill may damage my liver - I should have had a blood test first to determine how my liver is. Note to liver: Please behave Number 6 pill advises that I rush to a hospital if I get breathless or my vision goes. Number 7 pill - well I am not yet brave enough to find out what this one will do to me. Note to self: Remember to keep alcohol in house at all times and when I take my one drink at night I must remember that it is medicine and if I stop then I will have a seizure! Has this happened to you? do you think that I should change my Doctor?
@saphrina (31740)
• South Africa
I would say, take all those pills, empty them in the toilet and take the holders to a new doctor. I have never read anything like this before, sweetie. I think your doctor, might have been a vet a while agao. Chnage it, please.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
I am going to change my doctor but need to still take the tablets for hypertensionAdvice noted and appreciated
@saphrina (31740)
• South Africa
Sweetie, do you want to know what's the best medicine for hypertension?
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
I think that I am entering a trap but - tell me. Tell me what is the best medicine for hypertension?
@paula27661 (15899)
Hum...Maybe...It is confusing alright! We get told of side effects etc. here but not what can happen if the medication is taken along with another and, as far as non-prescription pills such as vitamins etc. no one has ever mentioned that some should not be taken with some prescriptions ones. I used to take St John Wort for depression which is non-pharmaceutical. My doctor decided to mention that the anti-depressants he prescribed should not be taken with St John after I complained of hallucinations and strange dreams. Maybe all doctors should be re-trained...
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
St. John's Wort was one of the ones I was told not to take too. It is also sold out here. I agree with you - many doctors should be re trainedremember the old saying? Doctors differ and patients die!
@bunnybon7 (36881)
• Holiday, Florida
omg, thats one reason i dont like to take meds. to many side effects to each one and so many times ive heard one thing wont mix well with another. i read all the warnings and side effects im afraid when i take anything for the first time. maybe you should ask the doctor why he prescribes things that dont mix with other things. its just like that last antibiotic i took. the doctor said nothing about dont eat or drink certain things with it but the pharmicist told me. which makes me wonder if thats why ive had so much trouble with different antibiotics. so now i read every little line. lol.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
You are right - we each have to take responsibility for our own health and read the literature that comes with the meds. A good pharmacist has saved many a life
Here they recommend that you always use the same pharmacy and many pharmacies have software that first of all prints all that stuff up for you to have and also checks to see if there is going to be any conflict. As far as the liver one goes . . . did you have a physical before you started taking it? If so your liver enzymes were possibly checked as a routine part of that physical. I would also question whether or not you should take that herbal pill with all the other medications you are taking. Often the POSSIBLE side effects of medicines sound very scary.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
I head taken the last herbal pill. No pharmacy out here has ever given me a print out or advice. So I honestly feel that my regular doctor should have advised me. I do use the same pharmacy though
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I think that you should give up reading...
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
You will be sorry you said that when my daughter caols to tell you that I have popped my clogs You are so funny
Okay, either I missed something or this is a private joke..
@carmelanirel (20979)
This is where both your doctor and pharmacist should work together to make sure you know what you can and can not consume with the different meds..My husband and daughter, both who take various medications, ask if there is anything that will conflict with the meds they are taking..
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Remember that I live in a Third World country. We do have excellent doctors nut oh the cost! I am going to monitor everything better and then also take my findings to my doctor!
Oh yeah, I forgot.. so you may have to do your own research and that is good idea to share with your doctor..
@stary1 (6622)
Many of us share your frustration and annoyance. As I watch TV commercials often the side effects of a medication are worse than the original problem It is so hard to know what to do. I use the same pharmacy for everything but even then I am not too sure all is ok. I find the more I research the Internet, the more confusing things are.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
You should change your doctor and your pharmacist. Doctors can be retarded and forget to look at your chart to see what's already going on with you. But a good pharmacist can generally catch any doctor's mistakes. Apparently you were unlucky enough to have both a retarded doctor and a lazy pharmacist!
@skysuccess (8882)
cynthiann, Honestly, from what you've posted - I have to say that I am equally as confused as you are. First of all, I hope that you've done your researched with a reliable medical website where it is being backed by qualified medical hospital(s), doctor(s) or health board(s). Secondly, I do believe you will need to read the whole article before arriving at the reaction(s) and precaution(s) section. A lot of medication will react differently with a person's condition, preexisting medical condition, health status, blood group, body weight, allergies and other medication combination. These are the very factors which discourage us (non medical practitioners) not to self medicate and that we should always seek professional medical opinion and advise before deciding on the medication. Thirdly, we have to remember that we are built differently and let me say that size does matter. Prescriptions usually does not come with high in dosage and I am sure 2 persons' similar medication may have different intake dosage. And, those reactions mentioned are usually conditions one would encounter when there's an "overdose". Take the tranquilizer shot for an adult tiger, which will knock the animal out for 3 hours but when it is administered to a human being - he/she may be knocked out for days. I know where your concerns are but you seem to have 7 different kinds of medication and I am wondering or rather hoping that they are not for the same condition. If you have concerns or doubts, you can always check back with the doctor who prescribed them or have a second opinion, lest you worry and get yourself all worked up for this weekend. Take care.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi ya cynth Blimey. I would certainly get a second opinion! hahaha. You might find that you only need to pop one pill for all your ailments and be done, hopefully with no side effects at all, wouldn't that be great? I am lucky to not be on any medication at all. I hope I will be like my own mother when I am older, who at 62 takes no medication at all, unlike her younger sisters who are on all sorts! I hope you get it sorted though, I would definately get some more advice from another doctor! Let me know how you get on if you do choose to do this good luck
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Thaks Humbug, I am looking around and getting opinions and do know that I need a good cardiologist as I am officially big hearted as my heart is enlarged. And who would believe it but I am older than you mother
@Humbug25 (12551)
Aww you do have a big heart Cynth and not just physically. I really hope you find the right people to be able to help you and get your meds sorted X
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
I will - I promise
@bounce58 (17526)
Sorry to hear about all these medications that you have to take cynthiann. And sorry to hear about all the stress it may be causign you just thinking about its effects. Personally, this is why I don't like taking any pills when I get sick. I don't want to be dependent on it when I'm 'young' and grey. But I think one day, I would really have to give up and face the fact that I would have to take some pills. And maybe one of the pills would be because I didn't take any when I was younger!
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
You always manage to make me smile. Just had a fabulous family day where we interacted with Dolphins. Totally amazing experience. I never thought that I would end up hugging and kissing a dolphin. But my DIL and grand twins (5) go back tomorrow to Qatar. I have the gift if tears
@bounce58 (17526)
That must have been nice! Hugging a dolphin. My son is also 5, and I'm sure he would love that too!
@jillhill (37383)
I wouldn't switch. I think sometimes they forget to tell you all the related facts....they hurry throught something...I only take one prescription...but do read all labels of anything else I feel like taking along with it...
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
I am going to have to take more responsibility for my own health that's for sure! I won't switch until I have got a better handle on things.