I was really scared but now relaxed

Source---http://www.sugarfreegold.net/ In some discussions and responses, I read ‘Aspartame causes cancer’. Some friends who visited our home last Sunday, looked at sole of my feet, said ‘be careful, you may get cancer because of aspartame you consume’. I and my wife both suffer from diabetes, like most Indians, we are fond of sweets, particularly homemade sweets. I and my wife consume about 10 pellets of ‘Sugar Free Gold’, each daily; this is nothing but Aspartame, this we add to our coffee, tea and milk. The home made sweets are made with this ‘Sugar Free Gold’; here in my city there are shops that sell sweets that are made not from sugar, bur aspartame. So I collected the following data from their site and sharing it here, hope those suffering from diabetes and SCARED OF ASPARTAME will feel comfortable. Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) (L-a-aspartyl-L-phenylalanine methyl ester) is a low-calorie Sweetener used to sweeten a wide variety of low- and reduced-calorie foods and beverages, including low-calorie tabletop sweeteners. Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) is composed of two amino acids, aspartic acid and phenylalanine, as the methyl ester. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are also found naturally in protein containing foods, including meats, grains and dairy products. Methyl esters are also found naturally in many foods, such as fruits and vegetables and their juices. One pellet of Sugar Free Gold will replace 1 tea spoon (5 gm) of Sugar. One Sachet of Sugar Free Gold replaces 2 Tea spoons of sugar (10 gm). One measuring spoon of Sugar Free Gold Powder concentrate replaces 1 Teaspoon of Sugar (5 gm). So enjoy all sweetness while keeping a tab on calories. The World Health Organization (WHO) has set an acceptable daily intake of Aspartame at 40 mg/kg of body weight. For example if you weigh 70 kgs, you can safely consume 155 pellets or 78 Sachets of Sugar Free Gold per Day. This is equivalent to 780 gms of normal Sugar! The American Diabetes Association states that Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) is a safe and useful sweetener for people with diabetes. Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) makes food taste sweet and does not contribute calories or raise blood sugar levels. About 90 percent of people with diabetes use Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold)-sweetened products. Foods and beverages sweetened with Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) offer people with diabetes a much wider variety of products from which to choose and greater flexibility in budgeting their total carbohydrate intake. Thus, it can help them follow nutrition recommendations and still enjoy good-tasting foods. Research shows that Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) does not affect short-term or long-term blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. The American Diabetes Association states “Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration, a governmental agency that conducts thorough scientific review to determine foods that are safe for public consumption. We follow FDA recommendations and recognize there is no credible scientific evidence linking Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) to any health-related problems for people with diabetes.” The overwhelming body of scientific evidence clearly demonstrates that Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold), even in amounts many times more than what people typically consume, is safe and not associated with adverse health effects. Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) is not associated with adverse health effects, including headaches, seizures, changes in mood, cognition or behavior, or allergic reactions. Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) is not associated with allergic reactions. A wide variety of foods can cause allergic reactions in some people. Those who suspect a food allergy should seek diagnosis and treatment from a qualified medical professional, such as a board-certified allergist. Self-diagnosis can delay treatment of a more serious medical problem. Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) does not cause cancer according to the American Cancer Society, the FDA and the National Cancer Institute. There was no increase in brain tumors or any other type of cancer. When Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) is digested, the body breaks it down into its components, aspartic acid, phenylalanine and methanol, which are consumed in much greater amounts in common foods, such as milk, meat, dried beans, fruits and vegetables. The body handles the components from Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) in the same way it handles them when derived from other foods. Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) does not enter the bloodstream and therefore cannot travel to essential organs including the brain. [b]Thus, there is no physiological reason why Aspartame (Sugar Free Gold) could cause cancer. I really feel relaxed now. Please share your views and comment on this.[/b] Thanks in advance. Professor ‘Bhuwan’. . 30/8/2011
@tigeraunt (6331)
hi professor, you really researched on this and i am happy you got your answers. i too felt uneasy when i have read of the article saying that substitute sugar could cause cancer. maybe it is some marketing technique by other product producers so that instead of buying aspartame, they buy the sugar instead. have a nice day. ann
Sweety I really feel relaxed, since your blood sugar level is just on the upper safe margin, you should be cautious, why not take aspartame? Thanks for nice response. Best of luck. Professor
@tigeraunt (6331)
hi professor, am trying to avoid processed sugar like the white and brown. am not sure how safe is muscovado (this i heard to be a natural unprocessed sweetener made from sugar cane). i have not researched on this though, but i guess i would use this more than the other sweeteners. i guess honey is very good too. ann
Thanks for this information Sweety
@myfb2009 (8304)
I think it is no harm to use aspartame as your drink sweetener. My mother also using aspartame for a few years and so far still doing fine. Except she don't drink as much as both of you. Most of the time, she prefer to drink plain tea or milk. Only when she feels really needed some sweet taste, the she will use aspartame. The best is, consume moderately on any food and drink as well. Not forgetting, try to take moderately aspartame in your drink and hope both of you are always fine...
Thanks for response and telling me about your mom, God bless her. Best of luck. Professor
I've not so much heard that the artificial sweeteners can cause cancer, but I do know that with many of the artificial sweeteners that the way that the body metabolizes it, it will turn into formaldyhyde in the body. This is something that is particularly disturbing to me. Of course, my friend made light of this fact the other day and said that the reason that people consume it is so that they can maintain their youth.
I have shared the information here for benefit of all. Thanks for response Best of luck. Professor
Hello Papa! Oh gosh yes you and Maa have to be very careful with absolutely everything you consume. Though I am sure you currently are doing so, but things like substitutes for me scare in a ways. That I feel they are not at all natural and can cause more harm then be safe. I am glad you did the research and are comfortable and feel more relaxed about it. Do have your feet checked though in case it can be something else. Have a great night.
Beta As i have said else where, 'Nerve-conductivity' tests were made at Appolo hospital, it has been confirmed that the nerves on soles of feet are damaged and those on palms are effected, such damage are irreversible!!! We are on herbal medicines now blessings Papa
@lumenmom (1997)
I am not afraid of it, I just cannot tolerate the taste of it and it makes me nauseous. I know so many people that love it and my father really goes overboard with consuming it. He loves it and has had no problems.
Thanks for sharing your opinion, good luck to your father. Best of luck. Professor
I have heard that aspartame is very bad for you and can certainly cause cancer. Fortunatly I do not have diabetes and do not have to use a sugar substitute. And I am also very fond of sweets although I am not Indian!Is the product "stevia" available to you? I have heard that it is a natural product. I do not know if it has the same effect on the insulin production as sugar does. I have only heard it is not as harmful as sugar or other sugar substitutes. It is a sweet product from the green leaf of a plant.
I don't think 'stevia' is available here, i too had heard that aspartame is not good, may cause cancer etc, so i logged to the site of the manufacturer and got this information, shared for benefit of all. Thanks for sharing your views Best of luck. Professor