My customer has no money to pay me..

So,I will pay for her order since I have to in order to put in my next order. Then I will sell back the stuff when someone orders one from the book. I don't ant her to ever order from me again unless she can pay up front for her item. She said she had a family emergency. Which may be true but to stick me with the bill is not right.
@carmelanirel (20979)
That is why I never got into selling Avon, I have heard too many nightmares where one is stuck with a bunch of stuff.This is also why I see at an occasional garage sale a lot of Avon products, the woman probably got stuck too. Have you considered selling Mary Kay? With Mary Kay, the customer pays first, then you are not stuck with paying out of pocket..My neighbor's daughter is starting into selling this and I love the makeup..Of course they don't have the clothes or items Avon does, but at least you are protected..
I am going to make a flyer up an send it with all my orders asking for the money upfront. I can do that with avon as well. I thought it would happen sooner or later. but the good thing is I have the money for her order. if not i would be screwed..
They are shopaholics. They spend with their emotions. No practical common sense. Or they figure the money will come from a magical "somewhere", or they spend every dollar they have three times before it comes into their hands.
Good Idea gifts, I didn't know you could do that..Yes, I do suggest you ask for the money upfront or don't order the item(s)..
Hi Gifts, Is this the one where you went to her house and she was so nice to you? I wouldn't be selling stuff to anyone that didn't have a credit or debit card, I don't think. I wouldn't want to get stuck like that. I used to sell Avon about 35 years ago and I made 40% of what I sold... but I never made much money because people always took advantage of me. I would be much smarter now.
@sid556 (31005)
Hi Gifts, This is the exact situation that messed me up with Avon. I'm glad you had the money to cover her because truthfully that is the best way out of a situation like this. I was stupid with my customer. She was such a sweet lady and I believed her story when she said she ran into trouble financially (still do). What sucked me in was that she kept telling me that she was going to pick up the stuff on such and such a day so I held it. The day would come and go and just when I was about to try and sell it, she'd contact me again and promise to pick it up "tomorrow". I have no doubt that she had a "situation" but seriously, I got stuck with a bunch of late fees and a shipping & handling fee when I finally returned the stuff and my credit got trashed and I could not take more orders. I pretty much paid Avon to work for them. Make sure this lady knows the situation she put you in by pulling this.
@bagarad (12716)
• Paso Robles, California
I think sometimes people are just hesitant to tell you they changed their minds and think stringing you along is the nice thing to do. I ahve gotten to the place now that when I'm dealing with a private customer who wants me to make a special order, I ask for the payment up front, or at least enough to cover my cost. I had a home school customer once who really wanted something I was out of stock on and I told her I could order it for her, and she was so happy. I made an order for more than I really needed because there is a minimum order with wholesalers, and the only thing I really needed then was the item she had ordered. Before it came in, she emailed me, and expected me to rejoice with her because she jsut found out her friend had what she needed and would loan it to her, so she wouldn't need the item after all. I hate to admit I wasn't rejoicing that I'd make an order for something I didn't need right then and would now have to wait quite a while to sell to someone else. I suppose she told her friend she'd ordered it and then the friend said, you didn't need to do that. I've got one you can borrow." They are so happy to save the money; they don't even consider that they have given their word to someone and commited themselves to buy something and that someone else will pay the money they saved.
@vittos (121)
• Bulgaria
Some people just don't have any conscience at all and come up with all kind of lies just to get what they want. I'm not saying that she is lying but it's possible.
She could not even call me to let me know. so I think you could be right. I will not let her order again unless she pays upfront.
I had this happen a few times when I sold Avon. It was just too easy for people to order things they wanted, even if they knew they could not afford it. If you start getting upfront payments you will need to have a special place to put it so no one can steal it and it does not accidentally get spent. You are so soft hearted, I am afraid you might help someone who really needs money badly.
@Amanda81587 (3046)
No sticking you with the bill is definitely not right. I hated when this would happen to me or when someone wanted to return something. You could sell it back or you could return it for your money back. Either way. I would definitely not sell to her again unless she has the money to pay you right then and there. I would actually do this the fourth time I started selling. I would make them pay when they placed the order. I got stuck with a 100 dollar bill before!
@sid556 (31005)
Actually, returning the merchandise is an expense as well. When I returned a very lightweight box of stuff to Avon recently, it cost me almost 8.00. The books you hand out to get the orders are 1.00 apiece and so many take them and don't bother placing an order. You have to get at least 50.00 in sales every other week before you even begin to earn even a small amount.
@bagarad (12716)
• Paso Robles, California
Waht are we supposed to do when an Avon representative hangs the catalog on my doorknob and I didn't ask her to? I don't wear makeup and never buy any. I left the catalog outside where she can get it if she comes back, but it's been there several days now and I don't know if and when she is coming back. If you had hung it on my door, what would you want me to do with it?
@sid556 (31005)
Hi Bagarad, If she puts it on your door and you don't use the stuff then just toss it. I never went around and put them on doors but if I did, I'd know that the odds were 50/50 of gaining a customer. I would put them out on the counter where I work and customers could look through them or take one. They'd all go but I didn't get many orders. I didn't expect them to bring them back. My point was that AVON charges us 1.00 per book. We don't expect the customers to return them if they don't order. Throw your book away. She won't be back unless you order.
@rajaiv0810 (1013)
I am sure you will be able to sell it if it's an avon product. It is such a disappointment if there are people who cannot pay you in your business. You are also trying to make a living there and others may not see that and just take advantage. I hope that she was not lying though. That because of some family emergency everything slipped from her mind.
@jazel_juan (15767)
That happen here, i mean doing avon business here works that way. The seller - the avon dealer, gets credits from avon..its like she leaves a bond in avon, a certain amount of money..then when she sells the products or when one orders from her, they can get it from her on credit and they pay the avon dealer after 15 days or a month..with interest i believe or she gets a big discount from avon because of the bond.
That is one big reason why this sort of selling is a bummer. So many times people forget and spend the money before the order gets to them. I remember when I was planning a trip and needed some make-up within a week. I called the Avon rep and she said oh sure, it will be there by the date I specified. So that date rolls around and passes. Not even a phone call. I had to cancel the order I had with her in messages because she wouldn't even answer her phone. I was amazed. It really gave me a whole different outlook on Avon.
@bagarad (12716)
• Paso Robles, California
I have a customer that did not pay me, too. This school bought over $700 worth of books from me on May 25, 2010. So far they have paid me only $200 of that money, and I doubt if they will ever pay the rest. They sent a note with the check saying the would pay $75 a month until the debt was paid, but they never sent another payment. My calls don't get me anything but promises, and now the promises have stopped. This has never happened to me with a school purchase order before or since. They said they couldn't pay because they didn't get all the students they expected, but they didn't offer to return any of the books they bought for those students who didn't pay. I don't think I should have to bear the burden when the school is short of money. My creditors that I need to pay with that money don't give me a break. Now I have another school that owes me $800 that is 60 days late in paying, so I can't pay off my credit card balance this month. I'm sure this school will pay. They just had a computer glitch wth their payment software. But waiting for that money is hard, and it costs me money in credit card interest.
Thats awful for her that she had a family emergency but now that you are stuck with the bill it isnt fair. I think if I did avon I would want to get the money first but I'm guessing the buyers want their items then they will pay the money. I think when I ordered from avon before I paid the money up front.
@kearkear (259)
I've been in your situation, Yeah, the best thing you could do is not take her orders unless she would pay her debts. It's really hard this kind of business, you should select people that with capacity to pay and willing to pay. Lots of people have capacity to pay but not willing to pay. I know you are aware of that. Just consider it as an experience and don't let your trust invest right away.
Oh Shucks, this does happen in business from time to time. I am sorry to hear about this but do hope you get to sell it soon. I don't blame you for not wanting to sell to her again, although it may be an emergency, still one you cannot afford to flip the bill for ever again. Sadly some people are this way where they think that they can order things and pay for them, then as it turns a family emergency seems like that she did not much money to begin, so she should not have ordered. All behind you now and maybe remind anyone ordering that you are not able to pay for their items to at least be a bit more courteous.
@stephcjh (32327)
No. That is not right at all. I would ask for payment upfront before placing the order, that way you will not be out any money for it.
its happen here, if we want to order something we need to make a front payment at least 50% from the total order, some of seller even asked us to pay 100% of the order. And if the customer canceled the order, she will not get her money back. It is to prevent customer as what giftandbags has. By asking for front payment its mean that the customer is being serious to buy from us, and she will think twice before canceling her order. If the customer cancel her order, at least we will not broke too much incase if we cannot sale the canceled item to other customer.
@crazynurse (7489)
Years ago when I was a newlywed, I tried selling AVON for a little extra spending money. I found that it was near impossible to make enough money to warrent the headaches that it caused for me. My neighborhood had few houses in it, my employer had strict rules about not selling at work, and I was living in a new city where I knew very few people. I do remember being stuck a few times as you describe. I think people order and then forget that they have ordered and when you show up with their merchandise they are alarmed and saying, "Oh my gosh, I forgot." I am glad that you happen to have enough money to cover the order.
I agree. If I was your customer, I'd prefer to pay you upfront, so that I'd no linger be responsible for the transaction. I prefer things that way.