$180 bucks for what?

@uath13 (8207)
My wife went to pick up her textbook yesterday. It cost $180 & was nothing more than a stack of paper & a code to the web program. She'll have to get her own binder to put it in. I'm no accountant , that's the course she's taking , but I can tell you somebodies making a BUNCH of money off that B.S.. It's nothing but photocopied pages for petes sakes. How can they justify charging that much? We're going to have to update the saying. Those who can't do, teach..& charge an arm & a leg to do so.
@stary1 (6622)
The price of textbooks is indeed outrageous. I don't understand how they can get away with it and yet the problem seems to get worse and worse. My daughter wasn't able to resell a fraction of the cost as the publishers just coming up with newer versions of the same old material. It's really a shame.
@uath13 (8207)
It's probably also why the public schools have so many budget problems. They have to provide those books themselves.
@stary1 (6622)
You are probably correct, but I blame some of the budget problems in public schools on the administrations. They have too many people working to ‘administrate’ and not enough to teach. The unions don't help matters. Especially here in California.
@Fishmomma (11452)
My daughter is attending college and its hard to believe students can afford to take any classes with all the fees and textbooks. Sorry to hear your wife had to pay that much for a textbook of papers. It doesn't sound like she could buy them any place else.
@uath13 (8207)
Unfortunantly because it has a CODE we're pretty much stuck. Buying the book used & a new one use code would cost more than buying them both in the new package. There's no place you can get them since it's school specific.
@dragon54u (31636)
It's ridiculous, isn't it? When I was taking classes I bought my books used through Amazon and usually was able to resell them there for what I paid--I even made a profit on one of them. You know the prices are what the market will bear but students often have little choice since the school chooses the books. Unfortunately, that prevents students from choosing other sources so I guess we're stuck with these insane prices.
@uath13 (8207)
Buying the book used wouldn't help. The code inside only works once. If you try to buy the book used & then the code seperatly it actually ends up costing even MORE!