I want to make my own laundry soap

Today I bought the washing powder along with the borax and two bars of laundry soap. is there anything I am missing? I need to know what else there is to do t make my soap. I have a big bucket waiting to be filled. I also bought washing machine cleaner to wash my machine. is this all i need to stop the link from getting on my clothes. I can't get all the link out of the lint catcher so I hope these two bottles of cleaner will help. Thanks guys for the instructions. also am I making liquid or dry soap. thanks
@stephcjh (32327)
That sounds like a neat idea. Let us know how it turns out after you get it made. I have never done that before.
I made the powder foorm and it would not go down in my machine. so now I have to try the liquid form.
@sedel1027 (17855)
You may have used too much. You are only supposed to use a table spoon at a time.
@bluespygirl (2112)
Hello there! I make dishwashing liquids, fabric softeners, perfumes and other homecare products! I make for our house use and I sell it. I also teach here in my community but I'm sorry I can't post the instructions here. The chemicals might not be available in your area. I bought my raw materials in a pack along with the instructions. One pack of dishwashing liquid raw material is good for 12liters. I sell raw materials or finish products.
could you message me the info. i can search online for the ingredients. thanks
@carmelanirel (20979)
Here is my homemade laundry soap I have been making for 2 years this November. It costs me less than 15.00 for the first year, not counting that I do add essential oil to make it smell good. I also use the castille soap because I have very hard water.. Ingredients: 1 bar heavy-duty laundry soap (found in the laundry aisle) Example: Fels Naptha 1 cup washing soda (This is not the same as baking soda, although Arm and Hammer does make the product and it's called "Super Washing Soda", the box looks like a large size box of baking soda.) You should be able to find it in the laundry aisle. Procedure: 1. Grate the bar of soap into a saucepan. Use the part on the cheese grater that is for hard cheeses and chocolate. Add sufficient water to cover the soap about 2 inches. Let it soak up the water overnight. (This step is not essential, but will make it much easier to melt the soap. 2. When ready to make soap, fill a 5 gallon bucket with enough warm water to fill it to within a few inches from the top. This will be easier if you set it in the bathtub. 3. Put the saucepan with the soap and water on the burner on medium-high heat. Cook, stirring with a whisk continuously until soap is melted. When melted, pour the hot soap into the bucket then add washing soda. Do not reverse this order. Allow the mixture to cool. When cool, stir again well. You can make it easier on yourself by separating the mixture into empty gallon jugs. Be sure to not fill the jugs completely so that you can have room to shake the solution before use. 4. Use about 1 1/2 cups of this soap per large load. You can use less water and get a more concentrated version by using 2 gallons of water instead. It will be much thicker, so you might need to put it into a container with a large spout. You will only need to use about 1/2 a cup of this concentrated mixture. Notes: Do not expect this soap to lather up. Just because we don't see a lot of suds, doesn't mean it isn't working. In fact, some of the commercial soaps are hard to rinse out and leave a sudsy film on your clothes. Try washing some of your clothes that have already been washed without adding any additional soap, you will be surprised at the amount of suds that come out of the supposed clean clothes. These suds tend to cause allergic reactions and also make your clothes appear dull. Since no one wants dull clothes, the manufacturers can get you to spend more money on extra products to help with this problem. You will probably find that you don't need to add any additional fabric softeners when using this homemade recipe. It won't look much like commercial soap either. Remember that the soap you buy is full of dyes and perfumes and has gone through many processes to make it look nice and to maintain a uniform mixture. You will need to stir your soap every time you use it. You can modify the recipe and add other ingredients if you have problems with allergies or hard water. For allergies try using bar soap that you've had success with. Make up a small batch first and test it. If you have hard water problems, try using a soap that is especially made for hard water like Kirk's Castille soap. Other ingredients that can be used are: Borax (for more cleaning power) Clorox color-safe bleach *Add about 1 cup of the additional ingredient to begin with and add it at the same time as when you add the washing soda. You can also make a version for delicates by using a mild soap like Ivory. This is good for washing baby clothes. Also, I stared out using gallon water jugs only to find they can leak..So I ended up collecting liquid laundry soap bottles from family and friends and filling those up instead and the plus is, it comes with its own measuring cup..
Wow!! I had no idea on how to go about making our own laundry soap. After reading your response, I hope you do not mind that I am printing this out as I want to try it as well. Very descriptive and helpful!
No problem HWG, I really like this recipe and once I got the hang of it, I can almost make it without reading the directions.
Amazing. I copy paste this in a notepad. :) Would it still smell good even without bubbles? I remember, I had tried using electric toothbrush. It cleans well but it doesn't create bubbles. So I don't feel like I have taste the mentol. So it would be better to manually brush my teeth. Nothing. I just find the situation similar to soap that do not lather up. Bubbles helps too.
@sedel1027 (17855)
That all depends on which one you want. You can make either with the ingredients. You do need a grater if you don't have one. This page has directions for both liquid and powdered. http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/make-your-own-laundry-soap.html I had tried this once and grating the soap bothered my nose. If you catch a good sale and use coupons you can buy detergent this cheap,
I was hoping it would work well and save me money. I will see soon. thanks
@jazel_juan (15767)
That would be pretty cool. I have seen some episodes on tv..which is a local channel unfortunately...where they were making soaps! I could not remember the ingredients though.. they used natural ingredients from flowers..and they used different molds and colors for it! I know they used glycerin in it though. It looked cool because they are in different shapes, one was in a star shaped soap..then there is a cirle..heart..and in different bright colors. They packed it into these cute papers and put ribbons in it. They sold it and some sold it for souvenirs and gifts. It was pretty cool.