what is wrong with my washing machine?

I just washed the machine so I know it was working right. then I put in a load and the water filled up and then it stopped spinning. Then I took out the rugs and the towel and still nothing is happening. I drained the water out and plugged the machine back up. the machine filled up all over again then stopped again. now it is standing here with dirty water and i don't know what to do now.
Oh yuck I dislike when the machine suddenly stops working. Ours did last year and although it was a community washing machine for my building the upstairs people use to put way too heavy items that cause the motor to burn. Our landlord refused to replace. Our neighbors refused to chip in and so we bought our own and have to monitor it frequently because I believe that when I am away they are using it. We are thinking of getting some kind of lock for it as they did not want to chip in and are to harsh with it. They do not even clean after themselves. after using it. Maybe a repairman can take a look but find out how much to check it because it might be too high and another one even if used might be best. Is this the buildings though? Or your own?
This machine is mine. I have a friend I can call to check it for me. But adrian will flip out because he is my ex.
I would ask Adrian first if he knows someone and if he does not then suggest and explain who it is first. This will avoid any arguments later.
Why did I not think of that. Thanks
I don't know about washing machines, but I am just taking a logical guess. Are you saying that it only stopped working since you cleaned it out? Could whatever substance you used to clean it, have clogged something up, or interfered with the system somehow? Just guessing.
No it was clorox washing machine cleaner. it looks just like bleech..
@sedel1027 (17855)
We had this happen once when we lived in a an apartment, I think they said the motor burned out. Of course our machine was old and they just replaced it. I assume its something you can pay a repairman to look at and fix
I think you should better bring that to a technician. It sounds like it's already broken. We used to rely on our washing machine but found out how much water usage it adds up to our bill. We then resorted to sending our clothes to laundry shops instead. It's cheaper and our clothes turn out well-washed and nicely folded.
The tech wants $75 just to come in the house.
That's a lot. Don't you know someone who fixes those?
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
It almost sounds like the tumbler / spinner is off it's spindle... if that makes any sense. However if that were the case it'd have made a racket on the first wash and you'd have known it was that. I'd say just get it looked at, it might be as simple as a readjustment, but be prepared for it to be a bit expensive. I'd get someone to take a look at it as an evaluation, and if they think it'll cost a lot to fix, ask if its' just easier to get a new washer.
I will have a friend come check it out first. he said it could be the belt not spinning. I will see if it is working today.
Probably, overloaded? or the machine down there is clogged. As you mentioned, you wash the rugs with the washing machine. We don't normally wash rug using washing machine as it is full of dust. And other small stones. The rugs doesn't have to be too much clean. That is my opinion.
The last time I was overloaded I removed some things and it was fine. this time I emptied the machine and still it won't work.
@bird123 (10501)
Mine did that a few years ago. A sock somehow made it to the water pump. I removed the sock and it works. A washing machine empties the water out before it spins by way of the water pump. Of course, it could also be a number of other things but check the water pump first. Now we know where all those socks that disappear go. They go down the drain.
I found two socks under the washing machine and removed them but that was not making it stop working.
@cereben (12)
I think that is company defect, or maybe it wont hold a lot because of its age. How old is your washing machine anyway?
5 years old.
hi gifts gremlins are wiping out my postings so copy paste. I am wondering if its because your rugs are too heavy or probably the motor is going out on you. I know cleaning it would not cause that. sometimes an overload will do that to you and as you mentioned rugs, those things get heavy in water. I would try with half the load and see, as I may be as wrong as wrong here. I had this happen to me in a laundromat and the owner really was upset with me and told me I had put too many rugs and towels in it. lol. hope you can get it fixed, but wow your ex and Adrian , that could be a bad combo. do you have another friend who is also washing machine savvy who could help?
I don't know anyone who will not charge me.
@webzap (885)
From what i have heard or read from fellow mylotters, I would guess it is the timer that conked out. if you are not a technical person, then I suggest getting help from friends who knows something about machines like this.
@stephcjh (32327)
I sure wish I knew what to tell you on how to fix it. You may have to call a service technician to come over and fix it for ya. I hope you got it working now though. You may have a broken belt or the motor may have gone out.
@Judy890 (1633)
I went through 2 washing machines this year both stopped working for no reason
I'm hoping that whatever the problem is that it will be a quick and inexpensive fix. Otherwise, it may mean schlepping to the laundromat for a bit, which is always a pain.