Buying storage units?

I have been watching all the new shows out about buying abandoned units and making money from it. It seems like an easy way to earn money but I am not too sure how I would go about starting it. I know I would need a good amount of money to start up, and a place to put the stuff I aquire. So my question is does anyone have any ideas about how I could start this business and where I could find out about where there are units etc.
I would think the storage place would answer all your questions. I know a woman who brought all the stuff to her home. took what she wanted and had a sale to get rid of the rest. on tv they make it big time with this.
I know they do, sometimes I think they make it bigger then it seems. For me I would love to do it, but I need to make some money to get started. Thanks for the response.
Find out if there is a unit you can buy then go to a cahs advance place and in between that time of getting it and taking it home have a house sale. You can do it.
@manleyjoe (1599)
Be mindful that those shows may go through thousand places before they hit one that is good enough to make the show about. I have went to a couple of these type sales and most of the time there is only junk left there.
@carolscash (9500)
I think you would have to start with the storage units near your home and work your way into bigger areas once you had some money made. You will either need to be able to have garage sales or open a flea market booth to get rid of the extra items unless you have an auction that you can sell the unwanted stuff at. Also, you need to know something about what is valuable and what isn't. It can be done, but it will take some work.
That is what I was thinking start small first. I made a mental note driving the other day of some units in my area. I should call them and see if they have auctions and when to see when I could get this business idea going. Thanks for the response.
@bunnybon7 (37902)
• Holiday, Florida
my mom and step dad used to keep a weekend spot for selling at a flea market. they would watch the papers for storage auctions, big yard sales, etc. they had a big truck and a shed to keep stuff weekly in. clean it, fix it and sell it all every weekend. now and then they'd sometimes take a loss on a couple of items in order to sell them but most things they profited on.
@cher913 (25890)
i know a guy that did that before these tv shows came on and now everyone tries it as a get rich quick scheme. it takes a lot of rock (junk) before you hit a goldmine!
@Lakota12 (42681)
look into the storage unit places in your townand around find the ones that havent paid for along time these usually ge sold to other people and sure you will need quite a bit of money