Ice Cream varies so much from brand to brand

@stealthy (8189)
Ice cream really varies a lot from brand to brand. This is true not only in the taste but in the texture, stickiness, and in how fast it melts. I got a store brand today that is actually quite good but it melts very fast. I also got another brand at the same time and they where both in the same bag, one that I take to the store myself. By the time I got home the store brand was running down the sides of the container and had gotten a lot on the inside of the bag while the other brand was showing no sign of melting at all. The store brand was so bad that it even dripped inside the freezer and I had to clean in there in addition to cleaning the inside of the bag and the outside of the container.
@cerebellum (3871)
I hate to buy any kind of novelty ice cream, like popsicles. I am always afraid they will melt too fast. I got Dairy Queen dilly bars and I was expecting the same problem. They don't melt as fast as other novelties I have had and thought it was just me, but maybe it's the brand.
@stealthy (8189)
I was talking about regular cartons of ice cream from the Supermarket. Both the ones I mentioned were the 1.5 quart size.
So which brand melts faster? the expensive ones or the cheaper brand? I haven't tried this yet and compare but I knew that all ice cream melts just the same no matter what their brands are depending also on the time they spend on the freezer. Meaning, if they have been placed inside the freezer for so long, unlike the rest, then those who have been placed on the freezer with lesser time frame would have melted faster , sounds reasonable to me. But as what I have already said, I did not experimented on this yet, like placing two different brands inside the freezer at the same freezing point and time and take them out who's going to melt faster.
@stealthy (8189)
The store brand that melts so fast is Kroger Deluxe; this was not the first time I have encountered it melting so fast, just the first time with a side by side comparison. In fact the Kroger brand has melted fast every time I have gotten it, making a mess on the inside of the bag, etc. As store brands go, I find it to be quite good otherwise, as good as many premium brands except for the melting problem.
@lady1993 (16073)
YEs, it does..before i was used to this brand of ice cream, but then it was out of stock so we tried another one.. And the taste was not so good. I thought all ice creams were delicious- i should have stuck to the brand i liked.
• Mexico
Perhaps every brand has its own secret formula and that's the reason they are so different. I prefer homemade style icecreams, which are pretty difficult to find now. Malls now just sell those popular brands which are mostly over flavoured and so synthetic. I will learn how to make it myself :)
@millertime (1398)
Ice cream does vary a lot between brands. I try different ones all the time and I've found that, many times, I like the cheaper brand better than the expensive, name brand stuff. I actually find the big name brands to be too rich and sweet for my taste. I get the Publix brand and usually get the frozen yogurt instead of ice cream. I've never had the problem of it melting any faster than any other brand though. I would sure wonder what is causing that. I'd hate to have that mess every time I bought it and would probably not buy it after that.
@globaldoc (860)
I understand why. It is actually the essence of their competition in the market, as to which will taste better.
@salonga (28061)
Ice cream - What is your brand?
Not all ice cream are created equal so you are right in saying that it varies from brand to brand. I don't like ice cream that easily melts and bubbles. I like those that melts only on my mouth not on the cone. I hate drippings on my cone. I want to finish the whole cone of ice cream without the trouble of licking the drippings on the side lest they all go down my hand.
@Judy890 (1633)
Yes you're correct. I once bought a ice cream that was runny and would not harden up even after putting it in the freezer so I just through it out. I like my ice cream soft but it's little it harden and does not run.
@ebuscat (5949)
for me yes very good idea that's the matter most if you love to eat ice cream it is good about the branded one.
@Triple0 (1907)
I am a total fan of cookies and cream ice cream! There's a brand I particularly eat and when it's on sale, I have to buy it immediately. Now that you've mentioned it, ice cream does vary brand by brand. I once bought a 4 litre tub and it was much cheaper than the 2 litre cookies and cream one. I realized that it would freeze in the freezer and ice would form on top. It also tasted watery. The branded and more expensive ice cream tasted much better and tasted just right! =)
hi:) I love ice-cream, chocolate in particular, I'm not that picky on brands as long as it's delicious and cleanly prepared.
@cream97 (29175)
Hi, stealthy. Yes, this can be true, ideally. I have not had any similar experience with the store brand ice cream melting. I do know that I have to keep my ice cream box in a ice cream bag, because if I don't the ice cream will taste like, freezer ice cream instead.
@dandan07 (1908)
The materials and process of ice-cream is different from one brand to another. Usually the one emulsifed well may melt easily but good for taste. The one with coarse taste can keep their sharp longer. If the ice-cream melt on your way from store to your home, and then you freeze it in the fridge. You will find the taste become coarse and not so good. The best way to have the ice-cream is buying it and eat it up soon.
Yes, the qualities that you mentioned are the ways ice cream manufacturers tend to measure the quality of their ice cream. Also, the way they make ice cream really affects those qualities like the texture and melting time. Also, the formula and ingredients of the ice cream greatly affects the quality of it. No brands have the exact same way of making an ice cream and also the raw materials differs depending on where the source of their supply is. That is why, some prices of ice cream products are also different from each other. There are also specialty products from one company because the ice cream products they offer have different characteristics. This is also true with other products in the market. The competition makes the difference in the products.