Have you ever been a penny short?

I went to buy some business supplies on vista print and was one penny short from putting in my order. I could not believe it. One penny and I emailed them to ask if they can take off one penny so I can complete my order. If I get my avon money collected i can just put it in the bank and pay for my stuff. I thought it was so funny..
@ a penny short. Yes I do remember being a penny short and the cashier saying don't worry about it. What I did was the next time I was at the store I gave, what was another cashier an extra penny. It bugged me so much that I felt even if the regular cashier was not there to know at least I got it off my chest. lol Did they take the penny off the order? I do see it is an online order so I hope they do take it off.
I also hope they are kind enough to process the order for her. That would be so nice.
I would be interesting in hearing if they declined the one penny order. I wonder if she will get a live rep to be able to take a look at the order and honor it with the penny short. Would be nice to hear someone had some compassion.
They emailed me back saying they could not make a price adjustment on my order. I will just put the money in the bank on Wednesday and order my supplies.
@cream97 (29166)
Hi, giftsandbagcom. Yes, I have been a penny short many of times before. Sometimes, the cashier will me slide too. And other cashiers, will just pay the penny for me themselves. The smaller percentage will just make me pay every penny, even one cents. Sometimes, I say, oh, they could have let me go by without having one penny. Some cashiers are so nice to pay that last cent for me without a problem. A penny is not a lot of money, but when it is short, it seems like more money then. I hope that you, won't have to go through this again, because not having, one cent is not a lot of money to make a person not complete an order.
@chrislotz (8203)
I think something like that has happened to most people at some time in their life. It has sure happened to me, being a penny or two short for my groceries or whatever. Most of the time the cashier doesn't care and lets it go but sometimes in smaller stores they can't afford to do that so then some other customer will usually give it to the person. I have given some one up to $3.00 once. I feel for someone when they are just a little short. I am sure that avon let it go too, if you were able to get ahold of anyone. Can I ask you, off the subject here, are you making out good with avon? I have purchased a few things from the neighbour who sells it and I haven't been happy with any of it. I ordered 6 tops and 3 pairs of sandals and they back ordered 4 of the tops and one pair of the sandals and when I got the ones they didn't back order I found them to be so cheap, the material was cheap and the tops had loose threads all over them. I cancelled my back orders because I certainly didn't want them so I ordered a bunch of make-up instead because I had already paid for the backorder. When I got the make-up I was completely dissatisfied with it also. I still have it all but I don't use any of it because it is so cheap it doesn't have much color, especially the eye liners and eye shadows. I hope you are doing good with your sales..I just wonder how you keep repeat customers when there products are so cheap now..they used to be good as I used to buy avon for years. What happened to their products? Cheers my friend, Chris
I was never into buying avon so i can only go by what I see and hear. I hear the products are better than before. I know the makeup sells like crazy and the bath and body stuff smells great. Even my mother loves the fragrances a lot. I am doing rather well with it being they have household items that people are ordering. LIke the onion storage units and the potatoe bags and stuff. you can also get a lot of good stuff on clearance and save on them. Everyone is getting avon for Christmas this year. The products are great. I just bought the repair shampoo set for kay and she came rushing over for me to feel her hair. it was so much softer. The anew brand is working wonders to moisten my dry face as well. I don't mae money on clothing I think but bath and body I do. This week I made $100 and that was nice..
@chrislotz (8203)
Wow, that's great. I'm glad you are doing well with it. I do have to say I like their bath stuff a lot. Good luck.
@petersum (4525)
Well why not? How many times do you get charged $x.99? You have to take a penny change which you cannot otherwise use. A cent to me is just a piece of scrap metal!
I thought that too till I bought a new piggy bank. now all my pennies and other coins go right in the little yellow pig.
@MsTickle (24983)
Where I live, one and two cent pieces are no longer legal tender.
@yoyo1198 (3643)
I've been a penny or so short several times and the cashier just dipped into the penny cache and made it right. On the other hand, I've also been in the line when someone else was short. I doled out the required amount from my pocket and helped the customer in front of me. The cashier then gave me extra stamps to make up for my contribution. It always helps to pay it forward.
That paying it forward is a great movie as well.
@Amanda81587 (3046)
I was at the dollar store over the summer and I was buying diapers and wipes for my daughter and I just grabbed enough. Well I miscalculated tax and the lady behind me gave me the penny because the cashier was going to make me put something back over a penny. When I was a cashier I would help people if they were a penny or so short. I would add it to my register out of my own pocket,
That as very sweet of that person to help you get those items.
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
That has definitely happen to me on occasion in the past. Its happened in a store but they would have a dish of pennies to add if someone was short a penny. Many who don't have this would let you slide for a penny but I'm sure there are some that wouldn't. I now usually pay everything with a debit card and because of that there is no problem.
That is where I went short. LOL on my debit card and since I won't over draft it I have to wait to pay for my business supplies.
@stephcjh (32327)
LOL. Yeah. I have been a penny short a few times too. I wish they would lower the price when that happens also. Some places will and some won't.
That is true and some places have that take a penny leave a penny tray.
@saundyl (9690)
Yes, i have been a penny or two short when shopping in person. online i tend not to shop anyways. if in person i take a penny from the take a penny leave a penny jar. And if i get a penny or two for change i often leave them in various places for someone who might just be short that one or two cents.
Never when I was shopping on line, but occasionally, I'll be in a store and be a penny short. The cashiers are very good about letting it slide, or they have a take-a-penny-leave-a-penny tray. :)
I have never been online and a penny short but have been in the store and been short. They usually have a little dish by the register with pennies in it and they throw one in. How funny though to be on here and be one penny short. I usually use my debit card and my bank takes out any extra I need from saving. Thank goodness.
Hi Gifts! I've never been short on an online order, but I have been a penny or two short when I did cash buys at the store... and then they would just pop a penny into the register and I could complete my purchase. However, now I do all purchases or almost all purchases with my debit card, so there is enough there if I make my purchase. I have been short by a few dollars and had to put some stuff back.. that's a little embarrassing.
Yeah it can be embarrassing and when I shop at times I am adding up the cost as I put the items in the basket to try and not go over. Since I second guess my self I usually leave the items I don't urgently need to be rung up last so I don't have to fumble to have things removed. No matter which way it is embarrassing but it is what we have to do when we are short.
I had to put some bananas and some cereal and grapes back the other day cause I saw on the register the subtotal was already approaching what I had.. so I said STOP!!! so I wouldn't have to go into bounce protection. It was embarrassing, but I had to do it. I've had worse experiences... but I think I will save my pride at the moment...hehe!
I have been given the extra coins I needed at the register by a customer or the cashier. But,this online order was not reduced at all.
@ladygator (3469)
Sure I have been a penny short, an nickel short. Even 35 or so dollars. And usually the tenders tell me to take a penny from this little dish that holds pennies and other various coins. The one time that I was short the 35, some really nice man just told them "bag up her groceries and add it to mine. That was so incredibly kind of him. I was so great-full and pleasantly surprised!
@valerie37 (981)
• Christiansburg, Virginia
That's definitely happened to me before. I don't like when it happens, but it's happened before.
@globaldoc (860)
Oh this always happen to me. I have a budget in my pocket for spending so I won't have to spend the budget that I save. I always end up short.
haha wow thats pretty amazing i have never been just one penny short but with the way they are cutting hours at my work its only a matter of time before i am one penny or lots of pennys short one time when i went to the end of the year cheerleading banquet downtown we all decided to walk to this ice cream parlor and i was short some money and didnt realize it till after i had already ordered i was only short like 25 cents so the cashier just snatched a quarter out of a charity jar that people could donate their change for it was really embarrasing and my face got all red but luckily i dont think anyone saw
@jazel_juan (15767)
It also happened to me before sometimes when i am in the grocery there are cashier who would be generous and would not ask for that little difference..but at times there are also some who would not!
I don't know that I've ever been literally just a penny short. I think if anything what I do, do is if I put my debit card in my pocket or somewhere it's not normally and then take my wallet and it's not there when I get up to pay. Then I have to run home and look for it usually I do find it w/o much trouble but it is awful embarassing.
I like those stores that have those little dishes for people to put pennies in. That way if someone is a penny or two short they can get them from the dish. I always try to put a penny or two in them. I've been a penny short at a store before and the cashier just told me to forget about it. But of course that doesn't translate to anything online like your order.
@carolscash (9500)
I have not ever been a penny short on an online order but I have been short many times on an order at the store. I remember once that I had to go to the license branch and had counted my money wrong and was 10 cents short and some sweet lady gave me the dime as the clerk would not let me get my license plates without it.