West Bengal's name change

@oindy54 (3446)
West Bengal will be renamed 'PaschimBanga' according to a unanimous decision by all political parties in the state. Do you like this name change? I am a Bengali so I can pronounce the word well but what about the non-Bengalis? How will they pronounce it? They might end up pronouncing something entirely different since the word is not easy on the tongue just as they cannot pronounce Kolkata according to the accent.Even Calcutta was far easier to pronounce. What are your views on this?
@sweety_81 (2129)
Well, I think that if a majority of people in West Bengal like this new name, it is a good change. Else, it would seem like another political gimmick, aimed at soothing vote banks, and to distract people from their real life issues. Calcutta is still mentioned so in many places, and the word "West Bengal" also would appear in many texts even after this change.
@oindy54 (3446)
Very well-said.The problem is that even though the name has been made into a Bengali translation,even we are not liking this change since it is a long name to write and is not inclusive of other communities' interests.
I do not understand why people wish to change the name to their native language. As such West Bengal means PaschimBanga. The only difference is that one and all can pronounce and understand when it is mentioned West Bengal and as you have said people who do not understand the language will have problem. It is a matter of recognition and facility and not the passion to the native language. People have already accepted it as West Bengal then why this change of name? Happy mylotting.
@oindy54 (3446)
Yes you are absolutely right.I see no reason for this change at all.They have just made a Bengali translation of the English name,ignoring the fact that this is a state which is multi-lingual.I am amazed at such a hasty and irresponsible decision.
• Chennai, India
That's totally relative to the natives of that state. Most of the names were just Anglicized for the ease of British when they ruled India. There's nothing wrong changing back to native accent. At the same time, if everyone got used to it, this will leave most people in confusion. In due course, people will recognize both the names.
@oindy54 (3446)
The problem is that we Bengalis are not the only natives here.It is a state where every religion exists and several communities who are not able to pronounce Bengali words properly.They end up making a mess of it just as they cannot pronounce Calcutta correctly.It is a big injustice towards those communities.They will probably pronounce it as "bango" or "bwango" which makes it into a sorry state of affairs.Why allow the name to be distorted like this!At least all could pronounce the British name or even if it had to be changed they could make it into Bangla or Bangabhumi as suggested by rollylolly but this is certainly not acceptable.
@rollylolly (2707)
Most of the non Bengalis pronounce kaulkata instead of kolkata . This is ridiculous . Calcutta was a much better name . Similarly on the ground of getting the name of West Bengal rise in the list of official documentation is it fair to change it to Paschimbanga ? Then simple Bangla or Bangabhumi would have been a better option . I heard that they had another rationale behind this . Most of the time as per alphabetical order West Bengal speakers were called at the last . People yawned and fell asleep when they started speaking . This ground is also very vulnerable . If hypothetically Cicero was from West Bengal would the people fall asleep when he started speaking ? I know you can understand what I mean ?
@oindy54 (3446)
@rollylolly Yes I understand if the great Cicero spoke people would leave their seats and stretch their necks to listen to every word that escaped his lips!We cannot really think of the West Bengal speakers next to him for the next two thousand years.(Pardon me if I'm exaggerating)I support Bangla,Bangabhumi,Banga or Bengal but certainly not this mockery of a name that they have decided on.Rising in the list of official documentation will change nothing except causing endless misery in writing that huge name everywhere and even worse for those who cannot pronounce it! @abhisekuit You are absolutely correct my friend!Your point is so valid and true!