Why do students crib when it comes to writing?

Earlier we as students used to be regular in writing in the class and compete with others to get a 'good' or a 'Very Good' remark. Now-a-days students are so reluctant to write that we literally need to scold them. This apparent laziness on their part,I feel is mostly due to the modern infrastructure in classrooms, like smart-boards, Educomp etc. The Computer Lab too is a wonderful place and once the typing speed comes it gains over the writing speed. In some schools they provide desk-computers which come as handy to those students. Will the art of writing disappear one day?
I read somewhere that they may quit teaching kids cursive in schools. I don't really understand why. Kids don't care to write anymore. They type online and text. That's about it. I never had computers when I was going to school and we were talk shorthand and typing skills.
I'm 20 years old and I've never used cursive. Even when I write a whole lot, which I do, I just never found it convenient. It's not easy to read and it's less practical to practice. I would agree that it isn't necessary for kids to learn it, even from an avid writer.
Yes, and I think the style of writing does change.
@diala84 (139)
I think it very well could it is hard to tell. Writing is a way to communicate without technology and with more ways to type and communicate becoming available with smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc it seems pointless to write things down if you can just type them into a phone you bring with you. Computers are also more prevalent in the class room and kids are learning to use this technology at a much younger age. I agree that we may loose this skill. Cursive in no longer taught in elementary school because there is not reason for us to use it anymore. I guess we will just have to see how long it takes before this skill is a thing of the past.
In my opinion it seems to be easier to type the notes in a phone, or computer but afterwards when u try to recognize what was told in the lecture or class, it is quite difficult to memorize those things. As something written by our own hand on paper or something typed has a lot of difference. The use of technology at that level has a lot of problems as children are small to get their eye contacts to the computer screens. I mean to say their eyesight will be weaker and in young age, due to this they will have to wear spectacles or get their eye operated which is not a good idea.
The personal touch which goes in writing does not exude the same flavour as it is with technology. The paper-pen touch keeps one in touch with oneself when one is learning or appreciating one's handwriting. It is and does verily taking our basic quality.
Writing doesn't really die with the introduction of technology, the style of writing changes. I do still think that the handwritten word is still going to play an important role in society. Personally, I love to write by hand. I keep a journal that I write in every night, and I always carry some notebook or another that I can write in. I sometimes prefer to write things by hand.
Here I'm talking about kids who unless and until develop the practise of writing can never make it to writing journals.At a certain point of time it is important to write and practise not only to increase the writing speed, but also to retain in the memory. The present scenario is that internet is taking away this skill by providing materials and Windows providing Microsoft Word to copy and paste. However reading serves well to keep up the writing spirit. But that too requires learning and writing down the meanings of certain words. There are very few people in the world who are able to retain everything they read without writing. But the common lot does require time and effort to increase and improve writing to stabilise their writing capacity on the computer.