How good is your span of attention?

I have a lot many books read-reread and read half. I have found one's rate of reading is directly proportional to one's attention span.As for me, the print, the style, the language, the thought of the writer, all count to keep my attention. I remember I had read a book in 2 hours which otherwise would have taken me a week to complete in my college days. There are other things that keep popping up in mind as time is a very essential factor. The love of reading, I've found has slowly waned with time and the number of responsibilities. With the internet ruling the roost with so many social networking sites and others, book reading has taken a back seat. Still, I steal some time when I am travelling by flight. What about you?
@GemmaR (8526)
My attention span has got worse since I got a mobile phone and the internet. When I was at High School, I was able to concentrate on things for several hours at a time. Now that I keep my phone with me, I can't usually keep doing the same things for more than about half an hour at any one time before I get tired and feel the need to check my mobile phone to see if anyone has tried to get in contact with me. I think that a lot of my friends are in similar situations and are checking their phones a lot more than actually concentrating, too.
With the modern technological gadgets, with their newest features, I do feel that the book has indeed taken a back seat..:(
If we're talking about reading here, then my answer would depend on the content of the book. If the development of the story is going at a pretty nice rate, then I could read until half of the day, at most. I don't like books that are slow-paced, and I read them very slowly. Sometimes one chapter at a time.
i personally have a horrable attention span i always find it so hard to concentrate on things especially at work when it gets really buzy and theres so much going on and i dont really like reading books i think it is too boring and when i am still in the first chapter i find myself thinking about what all else i could be doing instead of sitting here reading (no offense to all of those who do love reading of course) i agree with what your saying about the internet though and i think thats a sad fact i am still all for the old traditional paper pages books
I think your attention span is a good part of reading. I think that if a book doesn't grab my attention in the first few pages then I am off to something else. Book reading has really taken a back seat for me in the last ten years. I am online most of the time now and have very little time to read. Sometimes if I am having trouble getting to sleep I will pick up a book just to relax so I can sleep.
@dodo19 (32586)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I have to admit that my attention span is really great. Nor has it ever really been good. I have ADD, which for one thing, makes it more difficult for me to focus on something for a long period of time. With the help of meds and such, I am able to focus more easily, but I still do have a difficult time with focus. However, I am working on improving it.
Well the internet could never overturn my love of reading. I've always preferred books to anything else I could do with my free time. I love books more than I love movies, music, or TV. Books are just the BEST, and it really breaks my heart that so many people have turned away from it. But I've always had a strong love of reading, ever since I was a little girl. I'm in college now, but I don't really think I've slowed down my reading pace.
Yes, I keep a daily diary. I do love to write. Never been much one for short stories or poems, though I have experimented with both on occasion. I write full-length novels.