You finished a four year college course just to be cursed on the telephone

Calgary, Alberta
I was hired in a call center during the times they still accept high school graduates or people who never been into college or people who never finished college. So I can say im lucky because people of my educational attainment usually ends up as factory workers. So despite of the fact I hate my job, I was able to stay in this industry because I'm thankful that I was able to have a decent paying job without going to college and finishing a four year course. But this is the thing that frustrates me, some of that newly hired people are supposed to be better than me but they were so incompetent, they were not quick learners and a lot of them got fired. I'm so sick of seeing people getting fired. I'm really wondering why so many people who dedicated for years in college and ends up applying for a job that has nothing to do with the skills they were trying to learn on their courses. Lately a teacher, a nursing graduate, a mathematics major, hotel and restaurant management graduate, a agriculture and a physical therapist all ends up answering telephone calls from angry and irate people. Why did they finish college just to be in a job that will abuse their self respect. You know im college graduate, I won't apply to this industry.
@bostonphil (4375)
I hate to have to tell you this but I have a masters degree and work in a call center. I have been there 20 years and I am very competent. My life has been challenging. Among my difficulties was that I suffer from severe insomnia and have been unable to work at a professional level or full time. And the best that I could do was to get call center employment. I have seen a lot of people come and go. Some who have worked there are college grads. Having a college degree is not that big of a thing anymore in The United States. You often can not get a professional job. And then we have had a very severe recession. I know a lot of college grads who would love to be able to get a job in a call center right now. Other employees are moonlighting. Some of them are professionals what with the cost of living, they need to make extra money. And we have flexible schedules plus evening and weekend hours. Also, I work for a market research company. We recruit focus groups. You have to be sharp and use your brain. We do not sell anything.
• Calgary, Alberta
I actually don't mind hiring college grads in the company but it's really ironic to see them struggle to find a job and ends up in the industry that has nothing to do with their course. Seeing people come and go is really one of the hardest part of being in this industry because it's hard to lose friends on a regular basis. anyway I have a typo on my post that I need to fix. I said that if I have a college degree, I wouldn't be on this industry. It's not what I dreamed of but I do understand When people see this as the last resort.
For some people, it is the best that they can do. For others, it's a big help in adding to income. I am glad that call centers exist. It has kept me alive. I have gotten used to people coming and going at my place of employment. Because they leave, it is not the end of our friendship. I am still in touch with former co-workers. But it can be hard on management. They get someone well trained and then sometimes that employee leaves. I am in a quirky industry. Sometimes we have too much work and staff needs to work extra hard. Other times, we do not have enough work and we sit home with no income coming in. We never know or can predict our hours. I have learned a lot on my job. And I am glad for it.
• Calgary, Alberta
Do you still talked to hire its clients? But don't talk to clients anymore but I have to monitor the calls of every single agent. I listen to the calls random agents'to check if they were doing their job well. At first I thought it's not going to be stressful and it's going to be easier. Well on the positive side I don't need to talk to clients anymore but I still have to listen to their complaints and whining.
An intriguing discussion. This is one of the reasons why I didn't think that I won't last in that industry. I don't want to sound high and mighty that I can dismiss people who work in this industry (mind you, I have a lot of friends and acquaintances there) but I have proven that I'm not the right fit as a call center agent. I don't know why but the popularity of call center industry swayed some college graduates into applying because they thought the job was easy. Add the glossified perks and other instances like having quick buck fast also contributes. Other find themselves there because other industries won't accept them and the need for a job is just as big and problematic. So call center is like a quick job fix. But no job is ever easy, no matter how many perks or how much growth the industry experiences. For me, there are people who look beyond the pay and seek satisfaction in their work or talent. This is the reason why I struggle in my work but I always end being proud and happy at the end of the day since I believe my work is really my calling. However, I am not dense not to think of people who work at call center because they financial difficulties. To sum it up, I guess different people have different reasons in putting up with irate foreigners or callers. But at the end of the day, it is their decision whatever to pursue their passion and end up hungry (a possibility) or be miserable in a growing but cold industry. Somehow, we all wish we can have the ideal job and run away with it. Too bad reality doesn't agree with us on every occasion but the dream and the passion, I hope, will live beyond.
• Calgary, Alberta
I think a job if will not be considered work if it's something a person will enjoy. Until now I'm wondering why am I still here? I never complained at work but thanks to mylot I have a place to release my inner demons without going public. I will not deny I luv the payment and the money because that's the reason why I'm still survive. It gives me a sustainable income to say for my future but I hate every single day of it, except when I get my paycheck. when I was to a rookie though, payment is peanuts.
Well, consider it good and a sign of fortunate that we have mylot to rant or to share things with the people here. I guess this where some of the perks of being anonymous is greatly appreciated. I cannot judge your viewpoint about your work since I have only glimpsed of what call center life is about. I didn't even know at that time if I can have the will to strive in that world. But you still survive even in and for the most basic reason. I agree that not everybody is happy with their current jobs but we take what we could get and we cannot pass every opportunity since we need to cater to our needs and of others (I mean, family). We survive, that's what we do and perhaps we can still have time to chase our dreams.
• Calgary, Alberta
I'm telling you my dream life has something to do with the famous. This is not the job I dreamed of. I think I can still get my dream. I'm just saving money soul I can make it happen because one of the requirements to make my dream come true to is to leave my country to a place where I know I can learn the skills are needed to make my dreams come true.
@gloryacam (5546)
Unfortunately for some of our graduates here, there is not enough jobs in their line of work that is why they tend to look for jobs elsewhere. Add to that, they might find jobs in their fields, but, the call centers sometimes offer bigger salaries. I feel sad that a lot of our college graduates are malemployed. I hope it's one of the things that would be changed soon.
• Calgary, Alberta
the salaries are only bigger if they got promoted. A lot of them expected that they will be promoted fast. They didn't know people waited for years before they did a decent salary.remember those college students who takes nursing not because they want or love to care for people but because they think it will be their passport to America.
@gloryacam (5546)
That's right. It's sad because the choices in degrees now is becoming more about which course will land me a job abroad, or which one would give me more money. If only our country was rich enough, people would be choosing based on what they really want to do in life.
• Calgary, Alberta
It's really weird that many nurses are jobless because we don't have a nurse shortage anymore. They still hope they can go abroad because of it but They end up being unemployed. They didn't know that the course that can make them find jobs easily is engineering.
@jaiho2009 (39079)
hello capt, Simply because...of non-employment. How many thousands of nurses graduated every year all over the country? How many among those thousands were likely to be hired? Same thing with other courses/education...who ended up jobless after graduation. Actually, these BPO company are great help to them,instead of being job-less they will be given a job, not to mention the salary is decent/good. Compared to a registered nurse working same nightshift job, call center agents still has a good salary then they. I am justifying call center job as I don't like it either- but reality is, it is better than being a job-less. Regarding your question why they have to study 4 yrs and ended up with call centers? It's not their choice in the first place- they only took the better option than ended up job-less and empty minded. Besides, the better opportunity awaits for graduate agents to bag a higher position thou. (as per performance) have a good day jaiho®
• Calgary, Alberta
I hope I'm not the offensive, I just the stressed because of the firing spree and hiring spree of my company. It's really frustrating to supervise inexperience people. Because they have higher educational attainment than me, I expect them to be better, I expect them to be fast learners but the are not. I really wish all people who gets hired regardless of their experience or educational attainment were able to adapt. I'm tired of seeing people who got even alive by the pressure and stress this job can give them. Also a lot of them had too much pride when someone is supervising them.
@jaiho2009 (39079)
opss..typo err I am NOT justifying call center job as I don't like it either I know what do you mean capt...the pride - because they have higher education. With people having such kind of behavior I will simply give them this answer " Go home and look for a job that suits your education " Of course we cannot do that- but we can tell them, "you choose this job and it's not the job that chooses you" One more thing, it is explained during training session what kind of job they have entered. How stressful the job is. Besides- that only proves that education is not a basis for being smart. That is why call center (BPO)are hiring people regardless of educational attainment. So, if a nursing graduate is a slow learner than the others who are undergraduate- it's not the course that matters now- but the person itself. So, it depends with the persons behavior and attitude. Training session discuss everything to them before they face the real world and nature of their job. So, if they ever complains...it's their problem anymore.
• Calgary, Alberta
You know I have a lower education but this industry actually hurts my pride because you know it's not my dream. I'm a very ambitious person but I have to play it safe. Maybe if I have more money I will try to take risk and do what I really want to do.
@thezone (9452)
The way things are at the moment people will take any job offered and be glad of it. I will not go so far to say "that they are lucky to have a job" as so many on here say but just glad. I have ended up in a completely different field than what I was used to but I like it more than my last post.
• Calgary, Alberta
It does make sense, the media on my country keys and hyping this industry like it's the best thing ever. That this job will make them happy. That this job will give them a lesser his lifestyle but once they got hired an experience that truth. They were being a bunch of kids who is hard to supervise.
@thezone (9452)
I know what you mean. One post I was in I used to supervise up to 50 or so people at peak times. Long hours and a lot of work but kind of rewarding. You are climbing the ladder Albert even if it is not your first choice. This time next year who knows where you will be? Maybe on your way to world domination!
• Calgary, Alberta
You know what is more disappointing than a college graduate being is stuck on a call center? a would be dictator/world dominator who will rule the world/Top Heel Wrestler/LEGEND/singer songwriter/Mars Colonist and sexgod ends up listening to calls of angry Americans complaining for being booked in the wrong flight or losing their luggage in the middle of the Airport.
@ShepherdSpy (8563)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
The Job used to be known as the "Complaints Desk" in a store,but this wasn't "UP" enough to entice people to apply for the Job.. So now,we have "Customer Service Advisors" in call centres..and You're still getting dumped on by Irate people when something's not working..True,a paying Job is a Job,but it HAS to be getting these people on the receiving end down,listening to that negativity day in,day out..I'm not thinking many call back to say thanks or "Good Job"..I understand the turnover is quite high in recruitment..
• Calgary, Alberta
This job is so glorified by the media of my country. On TV call center agent's are portrayed as successful happy people who are having a time of their lives. So it really encourages a lot of people in my country to enter this industry but a lot of people quits to moment they realize the truth is.
Simply because it is really difficult nowadays to find a job even though you are a four year course graduate!!!Economic crisis is getting worst and everything gets more expensive. Some nursing graduates having their own license to practice their professions prefer to apply as a call center agents because of the compensation they can get from their job compare to their salary in the hospitals,some of them patiently rendered their service without getting paid just to earn some experience to apply abroad later on...whether we like it or not it's the reality of life!!!
• Calgary, Alberta
It really makes me thankful that despite of the fact I was only a high school graduate, they hired me because now my company will not accept people of my educational attainment. To number of college graduate applicants may extend the number one priority when it comes to hiring.
@wongchoiyee (6158)
I am sorry to hear that. As I also work in call center before, I also notice some degree graduates want to join the call center. In my opinion, they choose call center job because they want the money and maybe when they are in college their parents chooses the job for them and now they graduate they want to choose for themselves. This is just my opinion.
• Calgary, Alberta
if you don't mind me asking? Do you think you would like working on this industry? It's one of the most mind torturing office jobs ever.
It really depends on the individual and the struggles and experiences he was able to encounter. Maybe, those kind of person that you encounter finishing their degree and ending up answering phone calls were the ones who really didn't muster their degrees during their college years. They just went in there to finish the degree and not learn the degree they took that's why they ended up not being enthusiastic with their degrees and moreover, don't have the competence to strike the jobs that require their degrees. Going to the university is just a heads up to the real world and many end up not realizing that. Skills should have been built through the university. Some may still have some skills which are raw and underdeveloped so this should be coupled with enthusiasm and determination. The personalities of those ending up in the call center even if they had the degree may be still on the rocks that is why they are lost in the system. But on the other side, you can't blame them either. The demand for call center agents is greater compared to some of the jobs requiring a degree. The competition is tough and some has to give in and opt out of the competition and try to learn other trades. Plus, professionals nowadays don't have great compensation and benefits with the very hard work they require. This in turn forces those degree holders to look for other high earning opportunities like the call center industry. I observed that the degree jobs in my country have a lowly pay rate. It is just about the skills and the goals of the individuals going over and assessing their career paths. Just my two cents.
• Calgary, Alberta
I know this job pays higher than teacher will earn in a month. Then there's the media in our country that basically shows this job can give a person a glamorous life. It's portrayed like it's the best job ever. A lot of the newly hired people thought this job is going to be easy been a lot of them quits on their first day. This job really requires a heart of steel frozen other zero degrees. Because it's really emotionally insane. I notice an army of nurses going to this industry. The company just hired twenty nurses.
@Zamara69 (130)
Back in the days when it was; finish high school, go to college get a degree and get a good paying job doesn't work these days anymore. Our economy is constipated. The college graduates can't get in the pipeline to get jobs they went to college for. Older people who is supposed to retire can't..simply because they're living longer and are broke so, they're not getting flushed out of the pipe to enjoy they're "golden years". Times are tough right now and it's gonna get worse. People are just happy to make any kind of money to make ends meet.
• Calgary, Alberta
Despite the fact that I hate my job, one of the reasons why I can quit, I'm afraid other companies will not accept me. I hope someday I will be rich enough to provide jobs to people. I hope I will be so rich that I can't feed the economy.
@bingskee (5238)
that is the difficulty of choosing a course that is not really one's passion. when i sent my children to college, i let them choose the courses they like and they excelled and never had to take a job at call centers. i do not have anything against working in call centers but if you are a nurse, why would you take a call center job? isn't it that you have to be working as a nurse? as what my children said, if you don't have the heart for it, don't go for it.
• Calgary, Alberta
Anyway I'm not a nurse but my company hires a lot of Nurses. I have a typo..... I'm only a fresh highschool graduate when I was hired.(I was 18 years old when I graduated high school because each quit school for two years because of bullying and I'm also a troubled rebel...)
@stuckonu (726)
Sometimes it's because these people have no other choice but there are also those who prefer call centers because they offer better salary and benefits than most of office jobs.Not all centers offer voiced accounts Im working in a non voice account which is a bit better.
• Calgary, Alberta
how I wish I was in a non voice accounts, I don't answer calls anymore because my job now is to listen calls of my subordinates. Though I don't talk to those nasty costumers anymore, listening to them complaining for extended hours is a stressful as talking to them
@la_chique (1499)
People seem to make the mistake of signing up to courses that interest them, rather than looking at the area where they will be most likely to find work. Most teachers want the job of teaching the younger kids for example, but that job market is already covered and people are finding they cant find work there. When you study earlier years teaching, you cant teach older kids, so people get stuck with no career prospects. people will just take whatever job they can get at the moment as there are not many job opportunities available.
• Calgary, Alberta
A lot of those people are nurses. Many people on my country are not interested of the nurses but they stay the course Nursing because they want to work abroad but because they were not passionate about nursing and they just do it for the money, they don't get hired in the end up in a depressing call center.
@TrvlArrngr (4058)
You could actually make a career in a call center. They need trainers, supervisors, directors, etc. You have to have thick skin so you can turn the other cheek and help the next caller. Many apply for these jobs, though not qualified, because they cannot get any other job. It's a sad part of life.
• Calgary, Alberta
You know I'm sad that people of my educational attainment are not allowed to apply on my company anymore. I had prevented the company that despite of the fact I'm never been in college, I had proven myself to be an acid of the company. But now the rather hire people with college diploma but they were not fit for the job and they got fired in this few weeks.