My baby boy starts school tomorrow!

Tomorrow my little man starts school. He's 4 and a half. His sister started a couple of weeks after her 4th birthday but she's always been more independent. My son still insists on giving me a thousand kisses at bedtime and cuddles up to me during the day. I'm a little worried about how he'll be when he's away from me for 6 hours a day. I've talked to him and hyped it up a lot, told him how cool its going to be, bought him a Ben10 lunchbox and drink bottle, Spiderman pants etc so he'll have cool stuff for school. Just a little concerned as he has never been away from me and he's a real Mama's boy. I told him I start school tomorrow too. I am starting my adult learning course so I won't see him straight after school, as I finish 2 hours later than him. He thinks its funny that Mummy is going to school too.
@stary1 (6622)
What a milestone..the first day of school is often bittersweet for all Moms. You want your child to succeed out in the 'big bad world' yet you worry about him. As you know these are all normal feelings still niot always easy to accept. I wish you and him well and hope he has a wonderful first day. Let us know how he likes it...
Wirth my daughter it was ok, I cried after I left her but it was just me, she was fine! But my boy is so sensitive and clingy, I worry how he will find it. I know eventually he will adapt but I hope its sooner rather than later
@stary1 (6622)
I hope it goes well too. The first day I took my youngest daughter to preschool she cried when I left. I sat outside in the car hearing her and it broke my heart, but as I was ready to go in and take her out, she stopped and loved going ever after. Good luck tomorrow..be sure to let me know what happens..I have my fingers crossed for you
@grkelly (1218)
• Malta
I went through this recently. It is really a hard experience. I cried when I saw my child disappear in the school. Luckily my kid is brave and did not cry :) The key is to show your boy this is going to be a fun experience. You will surely miss him and you will find yourself wondering and worrying what he is up to durin gthe day. But you will get used to it eventually. I just worried a lot about possible naughty kids hurting my child, toilet training and eating the lunch, but it all eventually got normal routine. Children grow up and this is a normal experience eve though it is a bit hard especially at first.
I forgot to come back to this discussion in September! He was a little clingy at first, but when I picked him up after his first day he was already in love with his teacher. She's lovely, she has been teaching for 20 years so she knew me from when I was a child, and she's a real motherly lady, just what my son needs.
I'm sure that he did just fine on his first day of school. Neither of my children started or will start school until they are over five and a half years old because I don't qualify for head start and I don't want to pay the prices that are expected for private preschool. My son will be starting kindergarten next fall and it is something that is giving me a lot of anxiety, but deep down I know that he is really going to do just fine.