Please help me speak properly when my landlord gets here..

I called him today to let him know about my heater meter. I forgot what it is called. Ok last year I told him it needed to be adjusted because to get the heat on I have to turn the meter to 80 degrees. Now the other day I turned it on and it was hot in here. i can't afford to have my meter on that high. It stays on the same temperature you turn it to all day unless you turn it off. so 60 degrees would be more fee sable for me. So he said he will bring someone here in a few days. I don't know how to properly explain what it is I am looking for him to do. so,that is where you nice people can help me. When my neighbor turns hers on it comes on at 60 degrees. By the way is this the right setting or should I go lower since I am taking iron pills. The cheaper the bill the better for me. Thanks again for the help..
It is a thermostat. You want him to put on automatic so that it is set at a certain temperature during the and night and only turn on when the temperature in the apartment lowers. This will be a savings as then it will not be on all the time. Also ask him to show you how to bypass it. Meaning that if by chance it gets colder outside that you can manually lower a little so that it warms up more on that day. Vice verse for the warmer days as the weather by you and I will be going up and down and not really steady for a while.
@stephcjh (32328)
Yeah, thermostat. I think that is what she means.
Yes and if it is an automatic energy saver.
No it is not automatic it is the one you have to set and it stays there till you turn it down or off. Thanks very much for the help. I can't believe I did not know this.
@sid556 (31006)
Well 60 is pretty low but it all depends on the weather and your apartment as to what you set it on. I only tried to turn on my heat once this year. One night the temperature dipped to 30 degrees and it was so cold in here. I thought I'd just turn it on enough to take the chill off while we showered and got dressed. It jumped immediatly to 73 degrees and for the life of me I could not get it to change and stay changed. We got new thermostats (is that the word you are looking for?) put in last spring. I noticed that my thermostat was doing this and meant to call the landlord. The weather got warm and I just turned the breaker off. It's been off all summer long. I don't know much about the iron pills messing with your body temp but I would say to set it at whatever temp you are comfortable at. I usually try to keep mine set at 68 which means I would not be comfortable running around in shorts or tank tops but if I put a sweatshirt or sweater on, wear socks or slippers then we are usually just fine.
@sid556 (31006)
Oh, I'm sorry. You asked for help in how to speak to your landlord. Just tell him to check your thermostat and go on to tell him what you've told us here.
@stephcjh (32328)
I think you are talking about the thermostat. You should be able to adjust it up or down.
Yes that s it and your right it goes up and down with my switching it.
@Nadinest1 (2040)
It seems to me that you need a new heater thermostat. You can buy them at Walmart even,....or your landlord should buy it. They are very easy to install. He shouldn't have to call someone in to do it, unless he is totally stupid or putting you off. If you turn the thermostat to say 70 degrees, for example, the heater will come on until it reach 70 degrees in the room. When the temp cools down below 70, the heater will come on again. this way it keeps the room the same temp all the time. This turning it up to 80 for it to work...means it is just broke. Time for a new one.
@inertia4 (27385)
Well, the word you're looking for id Thermostat. When the landlord brings a guy in to look at it, tell him the thermostat does not work properly. Tell him no matter what temperature you set it, it is always like 80 degrees. I hope this helped.
@syoti20 (5295)
I think you are referring to the old thermostat the manual.
Automatic energy saver all the way. Just tell him what you said here and that you want to save energy. How do I set it and will it work correctly for me that way? I would set it at 65-70. Try different ones to see what is comfortable. If you dress in warm jammies and socks inside you won't need it on very high.
@carolscash (9501)
Hard working girl answered your question quite well and I don't really think that I can add to her answer. Let me say that I understand how you feel about the heat bill. Ours runs quite high in the winter and it seems that we really have a hard time paying the bill at times. I think that these companies need to realize that people can't afford these types of bills and we must have heat in the winter.