Mosquitoes so bad that you can't walk outdoors unless you wear a ton of bug

@writersedge (22579)
spray or a netting suit. Normally, we don't even have mosquitoes this time of year. But the rain and dampness has made it very humid. So they're out. We're also not 40 degrees day and 30 night to put them to sleep. We've been 70s and 80 during the day and 60s and upper 50s at night. It's horrible! One of my cats came to my car to welcome me home and let out a cry. I looked at him, he was covered in mosquitoes. I don't know why he didn't stay inside. I guess he wanted to see if I had anything for him. So what do you use to keep mosquitoes away? I put my bug baffler suit away, so now the mosquitoes are out. Maybe if I drink lots of peppermint tea, they say most bugs don't like mint. So what do you use to keep bugs away? Is there a bug season where you are or are there bug seasons? We have miniature black fly seas on in the spring and then at the beginning of summer, we have mosquito season. But this year we have the mosquitoes again. Hope you're not getting carried away by mosquitoes.
I am like sugar cane to mosquitoes. For some reason my whole life I am the only one who gets chomped on terribly. I am not outdoors a great deal but it does not take much for me to be bitten. Even with long thick pants on I still get bitten. When I was in Arkansas last month, it was like fresh candy for them. I out of all who were there was bitten terribly. In fact I have been still to date still bumpy and itchy from some of the welts. I was thinking just a couple days ago that I need to see about diabetes as I am not healing from some of them and it seems like an unusual length of time. My understanding from biological family history is that diabetes does run in my family so it had been concerning me lately as I use to heal quickly. Two weeks ago my boyfriend opened a window and was bitten by a couple before I started hollering to close the window. lol. We have had a great deal of rain, so I do imagine they are terribly on the rise here as well, although it is chilly out so maybe not as bad. Poor kitty and hope he was not bitten terribly. As to what I use spray repellents, I have not looked into anything natural I could use to prevent so I hope to learn a bit from your discussion.
@writersedge (22579)
When I was young, I could go places and they would eat everyone but me. Something must have changed, they go after me like thay go after you. I'm the first one they go after. Kitty was itching a lot all evening. I think he got nailed by the little monsters.
@ElicBxn (60674)
we haven't had as bad a 'seeter season as normal because its been so dry, but NORMALLY we have trouble from April to October
@writersedge (22579)
Wow! April ot Oct? All day or just evenings? We're normally evenings, but lately, it's all the time.
@ElicBxn (60674)
Mostly evenings, but sometimes mornings or after it rains
@writersedge (22579)
At least it's not all day. That is our problem now. Normally it's only evenings but this isn't normal in any way.
• Marion, Kansas
We have bad mosquitoes again now, or something else. I normally do not even get welts when they bite me. I am suddenly getting welts, but I am not seeing mosquitoes, so I am suspecting gnats. I take B6 and I understand that both B6 an B12 and eating garlic are supposed to repel mosquitoes. I think that is awful for your poor kitty. I have also heard that regular Listerine repels flying insects. It is a cheap remedy. The active ingredient that kills germs and repels things is actually oil of oregano. I think I am going to go pick my beautiful oregano and make some tea.
@peavey (16118)
You can get oil of oregano in capsules. I wonder if it would help to take it like that?
• Marion, Kansas
Maybe like Peavey says, oil of oregano in capsules would work. Both my doctor and my chiropractor recommend B6 in mega doses for arthritis pain. I keep telling people this but most of them are not willing to try it and give it a few weeks to kick in. 4 weeks at 400 mg, then cut back to 200 mg. I find it effective. That is why I am so surprised at seeing welts on me, usually even if a mosquito bites me I do not swell, it is just a nuisance. I have grown oregano this year, but not really used it. The plant has loved the dry hot weather and it is really attractive. I have also heard pure vanilla extract repels mosquitoes.
I have heard that when the circle of life is interupted such weird things happen. Mosquitoes like sweet smelling things. They go for people wearing perfume. There are several nautural mosquitoe repellents such as citronella, lemon eucalyptus, thyme oil, and geranium oil. I usually use citronella. You can get little candles made of it and I burn one when I am outside in the evenings.
@writersedge (22579)
I don't wear perfume. I've heard they go after perspiration. I used to almost never perspire. Now I really do. When I didn't perspire much, I seldom was bitten. But now they dive bomb me. I've heard about them liking perfume, too. Some people who wear lots of perfume get them. I think they like certain smells. Citronella is the most constant. The others, sometimes the bugs still go after me. I don't think they're strong enough to override my perspiration. Thanks and take care.
Well glad you have it under control.
@peavey (16118)
Mosquitoes haven't come back here (yet), but we had them worse than usual earlier in the year. They usually don't bother me, even though they bite I usually don't feel it. I think it's because when we were young, we lived on the river and had mosquitoes really, really bad every year. They would fly up in clouds the minute you stepped out of the house. There was no way to keep from getting bit and I think I must have some kind of immunity to them now. I've heard that taking B12 makes you less favored by them and Avon's Skin So Soft is supposed to repel them.
@writersedge (22579)
Yeah, Skin so soft can repel anything, people, too! Nasty stuff! I get eaten alive every year and I don't seem to get immuned to them. But there was a time when they ate everyone but me or chomped on me last. Now I'm first in line. My body must have changed. You'd think with all the chemo, they wouldn't like me so much. But for the last few years, they even are willing to go through bug spray to get to me.
• Marion, Kansas
Citronella in Skin So Soft. Oh, growing Lemon Balm is supposed to repel them, and usually does. It also makes a very calming tea to drink or it is nice added to regular tea. I love it. I wonder if I have any leftl
@secretbear (19466)
Hi! It's the rainy season here and we are experiencing days of mosquitoes all around. I usually use mosquito spray to drive them away, kill them actually but of course it's not enough. Cleaning the house is one way to drive them away. I have never heard of mosquitoes disliking mint but if that's true, they should make mint-flavored air spray to drive the mosquitoes away. Here in our country, because of the spread of dengue virus by mosquitoes, scientists have devised a whatchamacallit that would attract and kill the mosquitoes. It's a small tin black can with water on it where certain pills are dissolved. The pill when dissolved in the water attracts the mosquitoes to the can. The mosquitoes will lay their eggs there but the pill will kill the eggs. So that way, it stops the spread of mosquitoes and dengue.
@writersedge (22579)
That would be handy if we had the black box here. But we don't have that. Have to see if we can get that here. They don't do much here because mosquitoes don't have really bad diseases here. But the weather keeps up like this for years and we will. Thanks and take care. Definitely have to look that up. Prevention is way better than after the fact. Maybe your mosquitoes do like mint. I think mosquitoes may be different in different parts of the world. But it they don't like mint, growing some outside your house might keep them away. I think there is also a citronella plant that can be grown to keep them away. Thanks and take care.