AARP Convention in Los Angeles

I had a wonderful time at AARP Los Angeles. It was a lot of fun. I stayed in a budget hotel in downtown and met people from all over the world. Among the highlights for myself was seeing a preview of the movie 50 / 50 which will be showing in the theaters this week. It is a great movie. I also went to a red carpet premiere of "The Way", Martin Sheen's new movie. This movie is about a spiritual journey and based on a true story. I do not know when it will be showing in theaters. The cinematography is beautiful. I heard some great music at the meet and greet and ice cream social. There is always great entertainment at The AARP Conventions I made it to Santa Monica Beach. It has been over 25 years since I saw the ocean, yet alone walked in the ocean. Oh, it was very uplifting for me. And I visited an old friend and husband in Thousand Oaks. We met in Los Angeles in the 1960's and had not seen each other since the mid 1960's. I love her teddy bear collection. They took me to The Ronald Reagen Library in Simi Valley. Next year, AARP is holding their yearly convention in New Orleans. If you have any interest in attending, go to AARP Life@50. It's going to be great.
@Netsbridge (3243)
I am glad to know that you enjoyed your trip. Is this AARP you talk of the same as AARP the charitable org that reaches out to vulnerable seniors? Are you a member/employee of the AARP or just one travelling for entertainment? Just curious.
It is one and the same. AARP stands for American Association of Retired Persons. It is a non-profit and an association but they have programs for lower income seniors. I am a member of AARP but I go to the convention mostly for travel and entertainment. The conventions are a lot of fun and they are always in great cities.
Well my dear Bostonphil, if you ever can afford anything, then go for it! I found a 4SeniorNews on Twitter with very reasonable health tips. If you are able, follow 4SeniorNews on Twitter. Wish you happy retirement!
Like most of my life , I'm too young to attend! I'm glad you had a great time! 25 years is way too long to go without seeing the ocean. I hope you enjoy New Orleans!
AARP is open to anyone who is at least 50 years old. You do not need to be retired. The target groups of the convention are those retired, those soon to be retired and those who someday hope to be retired. There is a lot of good information available to those who are not yet retired. I agree that 25 years is ways too long to go without seeing or walking in the ocean. My life has been complicated and challenging. I went many years without being able to travel. I am slowly trying to make up for it. I am going to Boston before New Orleans. I will be in Boston for my 50th high school reunion next June and then New Orleans next September. I love traveling but I do find it tiring. Two vacations a year are all that I can handle.
I'm not 50! And I will never retire. I feel like I had my retirement. After highschool I did nothing for two years! ever since I could remember it was my age group that got shafted. when I was about to be 13 , they raised the age of adult swim to 15. NC17 films came out when I was 16. stuff like that! I'm glad you are getting to travel. I went , by force- a long story, to Boston back in 1983! And I went to New Orleans in 1997! Boston was a pain . Now I;m ready to revisit.New Orleans was the best trip ever. Do me a favor, go to Cafe Du Monde for me. Like A Ditz I didn't go there on my trip!
• Marion, Kansas
It sounds like something good to save up and plan for. I am glad you got to do so many neat things including get to the beach. You must be all invigorated for fall.
It is finally beginning to cool very late night. Early mornings feel like fall. I mean very early. It was over 100 today but according to weather reports, this was the last 100 degree day. We are having a cool front come in for Friday My next trip is next June. I am going to Boston for my 50th high school reunion. I am beginning to work on that. And then I will focus on going to New Orleans for the next AARP Convention. I have never been to new Orleans and I am already expecting to have a great time. I love traveling but I am exhausted afterwards. Two vacations a year are enough.