My boss wants me to take a health and safety course.

She says that it could help us get more work, and hopefully it does. I looked into the courses that are out there, and found only one that looks viable for me to take. One was an online series of courses, I would have had to take about 8 courses that would have costed me over $2,000. Then there was one course at another college, actually at a campus downtown, at a more reasonable fee of just under $400. It's only one course, with no electives to have to take, unlike the other one, so it's more of the better option. I don't know how long the certificate would be valid for, but even if it's only for a few years, that would be fine with me. I have to talk to my boss about it and see what she says about it. The good thing about this course is that it's only one night a week, and I can go after work, but I know I will be tired the next day at work. I haven't been in school in over 12 years, so this will be strange for me, if I do actually go through with this. But one night a week wouldn't be bad, I think I could live with that. We'll see what happens though.
@yoyo1198 (3643)
If she wants you to take a course to benefit her company status, I would think that she should help you defray the costs. If you were to leave her employment, it would no longer help her company. Just a thought.
It has been a while since I have been back to school, but I really enjoy the classroom environment. Why does your boss not take the course as well? One of the times I took classes I worked a full time job, a part time job and went to class two nights a week then drove home from out of town. I was younger then. I guess that is what I would point out, do it while you are fairly young.
@jodylee (968)
Good for you! Being a life long learner is a wonderful thing. I would hope your employer would help with the class so long as you do well and work hard! May I ask what you do for work and how it would help to get more work?
@daeckardt (6245)
I think it would be good to do the course one night a week, especially if it will help you get more work. Would everyone you work with be doing it or just you? Since this post is over a month old, I just wonder if you have started it or not. I hope it helps. Oh and don't worry about having been out of school for so long...I went back to school several times and most of them were after at least 10 years. Good luck!!!
I think it is an excellent idea and maybe being such a loyal employee she can bare some of the expense. It has to be hard to go back to school but perhaps once you are doing so after a few weeks you will get use the routine. I do hope it works out for you as it really is a good idea.