Who Has Seen "Straw Dogs"?

@anniepa (26441)
I watch tons of movies but I rarely go the the theater; it's just so much more convenient, not to mention CHEAPER, to watch at home on TV, either on one of the premium movie channels or on DVD. However, I really think I'm going to try to go see the remake of "Straw Dogs". It really looks good and like it's one of those "edge of your seat" kind of thrillers. OK, the fact that Alexander Skaarsgard (Eric on "True Blood) is in it doesn't hurt either... Has anyone here seen it and if so please give me your review! Annie
I've seen the original, if that counts?
@anniepa (26441)
Sure it "counts", if you have some thing to say to add to the discussion. Did you like it? What's you opinion on it having been remade at all? Do you remember the controversy about it back then? Annie
I didn't see it when it was released - probably not for a good 15-20 years after, so by that time it was far less controversial. Given that there's almost-equivalent violence and stuff on TV these days, it's pretty tame by comparison. That said, it was a great film. Most remakes (like, about 90% of them) suck horribly so I'm not expecting much from this one, either. Sounds very much like someone just figured the controversial nature of the original would bring in money, so did it again.
@anniepa (26441)
I agree about remakes for the most part. I guess it's because I didn't see the original I'm more interested in seeing this one, plus the fact Alexander's in it. I've read several reviews and articles about it and apparently the director tried to make this version "his own" and not just a carbon copy of the original. They changed where it's set from England to Mississippi, for one thing. Anyway, now I'm curious to see the original as well. Annie
@Christoph56 (1509)
I'm in the same kind of spot as the earlier poster... I saw that movie back years ago, but still maybe 20 years after it was released. I actually saw it because I loved Dustin Hoffman, but the movie wasn't anything too extreme or controversial to me... so it makes me wonder, did they redo the scenes, making it more controversial? I'm going to hold off to when it's released to the public so I can just download it, rather then see it in the theatres, though, either way.
@anniepa (26441)
If I remember correctly, the original was "so controversial" it couldn't even get an "R" rating but our standards have really changed in the years since. I'm not sure what was so awful about it since I didn't see it. I'm not sure HOW I didn't get around to seeing it since I've always been a huge movie buff and I also love Dustin Hoffman. Remember, Hoffman was in another "groundbreaking" movie for its time, "The Graduate"? A few of my friends and I sneaked to see it in a nearby city so our parents didn't know. Annie
@stephcjh (32385)
I have never heard of it.