I Stand Naked Before You

@p1kef1sh (45647)
Having read some of the comments that people have made about the new FaceBook changes we might be forgiven for thinking that there is now no privacy. Many people log their every move on one social network site or another. Often incautiously. Today there seems to be an insatiable desire to reveal all that we are and that to do so is a good thing. But is it? Do you really want to know my darkest secrets. Is there any privacy today and if not does that reflect a healthy or unhealthy society?
I do not think that it is good or healthy for people to post every aspect of their lives. I also do not think that it is limited to the people that are doing the posting. How many people do you know that speak of others when they are posting ... either showing their pictures, mentioning that they were doing "thus and such" with "person x", venting about a certain person by name, etc. It is becoming a violation of privacy for pretty much everybody, even if you do not choose to participate on these sites.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Very true. Somehow we have grown to accept and openness that would not have been acceptable only 20 years ago.
The worst thing, in my opinion, is that if you do not want all this information about you out on the web there really is not much you can do about it. You can ask people not to post pictures and personal information related to you, but if you are not on these sites you might not know if and when they do. Also, some people act like you are talking crazy when you ask them not to post pictures or information, and then they go and do it anyway.
• Regina, Saskatchewan
If stupidity is unhealthy, then yes, we are an unhealthy society. We are the authors of our own destruction don't you know, and sites like FB make us truly destructive indeed. I can understand the stupidity of youth. But those of us that grew up reading George Orwell should know better....
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Absolutely. Now my home address is: 23 Acacia Ave and my number. 01234 654321. Don't tell anyone!
• Regina, Saskatchewan
Wonder how long this will take to get on FB? lol
@pumpkinjam (5737)
I think some people should be more careful about the details they are willing to give out. It's easy to put information together. On the other hand, if you don't want people to know your every detail then there is no obligation to put them there. As for a healthy or unhealthy society, it's probably a bit of both. Healthy that people feel safe to give out so much information but not so healthy because a lot of people don't realise the potential risks.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
I think that part of the problem is that people are indiscreet and let themselves get carried away. Suddenly they have given more away than they ever meant to.
Yes, I do know some people who tend to state literally everything and would do stuff like add an Event, make it public and put their full home address without even realising who might be looking.
@sharra1 (6344)
I am at a total loss as to why people do this. I have never even been to the facebook site and hate the idea of telling the world anything about my life. I like my privacy. There was a time when I was up with technology but it left me behind a long time ago and I have no interest in catching up. I am really puzzled why these people think that such an activity is safe.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
I think that it is safe provided that caution is exercised. The problem is that it is easy to forget you are and suddenly you have recorded something that perhaps you oughtn't to have for posterity.
@sharra1 (6344)
It might be safe if you are careful but I wonder about all the cookies and tracking that goes on these days. I let some cookies live on my computer but the security software wipes them all periodically. I do not like the idea of my movements being tracked. So many young people seem to have no awareness of the dangers of exposing their lives to the web. I do not believe that companies can be trusted.
@bingskee (5238)
at one point, i thought of deleting my Facebook account as it appears that the privacy concerns are more and more not taken care of. but held on for a minute as there are many relatives and friends there that i have not met for a long time and i am reluctant of loosing the connection. there is also an insatiable desire to know 'secrets' of other people nowadays as if it becomes a fuel for some or most of FB users. not healthy actually if there is no privacy. not good for anybody to let her or his personal info for the taking at any time.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
I have had the same thought but hang on because it's the only connection that I have to some friends. It is easy to write something that you might later regret though.
@MandaLee (3695)
Sadly, true privacy no longer exists. In my opinion, Facebook has pushed the envelope and changed the boundary of what is socially acceptable. As a matter of fact, Facebook is the reason that many teenagers today have no idea how to communicate well. Such is the reflection of the changing times and unhealthy society in which we live.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Facebook has its place I think but I do agree that to a large extent it has replaced good old fashioned "hanging out at X's house". On the other hand, there is a group of myLot refugees from across the world, all of us former active posters who moved away for one reason or another, that have forged close, warm and genuine friendships. Without FB we would have quietly slipped away into the dark and been memories. Balance is the name of the game I think.
@stephcjh (32385)
I try not to tell too much about myself online. It is private. I know alot of people tell everything about their life though. I think some people just like to have others to talk to.
@Theresaaiza (10080)
There is a new feature on Fb where people's activities can be seen on the upper left corner of the page, other people's businesses that I don't really care about. I don't like the way how it would also place my whereabouts there for all the world to see.