Ceiling fans

@JosephP (1118)
Jamaica
I have seen many people fall victim to a falling ceiling fan. It is very dangerous and I am not a big fan of them.Do you feel safe around ceiling fans? Have you ever had a bad experience with one?
@gloryacam (5546)
I always have this weird feeling when I'm under a ceiling fan. I have this fear that the fan will fall on me. So, I also hate ceiling fans. It's like a disaster waiting to happen!
Hello JosephP I have 1 ceiling fan at home but we dont have problem with it, the guy who installed the fan has good experience in installing ceiling fan, I hope we will never experience that kind falling ceiling fan. But I have one friend who got bad experience with ceiling fan but lucky she didnt get bad injury. I dont like fan too, I always get flu whenever Im in a room with fan on.
@myfb2009 (8304)
Hi Joseph, it had been many years in my parents and my own homes, we are using ceiling fans. So far, we never experienced any problem with it. I think it is depending on how they installed the ceiling fans. If they installed them securely, it won't falls down. I think installing the ceiling fan with the hook type is more secure than the modern type of ceiling fan.
@mariahhh (1328)
• United Arab Emirates
I have never seen or heard of a ceiling fan falling to someone. I guess it depends on how it was installed. Maybe it wasn't done properly. Before turning on the fan, you have to be sure that it was installed properly, because it's kind of scary if it falls off.
@stephcjh (32328)
I have not had anything like that happen with mine. Ours is safe and secure.
@thatgirl13 (7307)
• South Korea
I actually have never heard of victims of falling ceiling fans but I have watched couple of movies with that scene. That is actually enough to convince me and I am actually scared of that result. I had once been in this hotel with ceiling fan and that made me uncomfortable the whole night.
@mantis36 (4238)
I never sit under a ceiling fan, even though the structure is strong attachment to the socket, there is still a gravity possibility to fall and the blades, I think my neck are not so tough to withstand those long not so sharp fan blades..... yet there are ceiling fan too that are made of wood decorations but less power and the only purpose of it is for decorations only, a standard electric fan, i just be sure that it is guarded by its steel cage since there is a possibility that the blades release on its socket and can cause injury...
@carmelanirel (20979)
I agree with peavey, could it be from it being installed incorrectly? I have had a ceiling fan for years as well as many of my neighbors and I have never seen one fall.
@WakeUpKitty (8707)
• Netherlands
I don't have one in the Netherlands it's mostly cold and wet over here. In Hungary I don't need one either (would never consider about buying one also the ceilings are way too low to put one there) so my only experiences with them are in some hotels in Africa. I am not afraid of falling them down on my head or so. But since I am not used to it I never think about the fact that if I undress and stretch my arms upwards I stick my hands into it. Big ceiling fans shouldn't be in small(er) rooms. I don't think I will ever get used to that. Would never buy such a thing if then I prefer one on a stand (or two).
@peavey (16116)
I have never seen a ceiling fan fall. Could it be to poor installation practices? We had one that my husband installed about 20 years ago... to my knowledge, it's still there. It would be scary to see one fall!
@jaiho2009 (39021)
Yes, my in laws had ceiling fan in their living room and it almost fell to one of their guest once there was an event in their house. Good thing someone push the lady and the fan did not hit her. Since then, my inlaw had the fan removed and never had it installed again. I don't have ceiling fan at home, but I have wall fans and I have it mounted in place where no one will be hurt in case it falls down. have a good day
@dlr297 (5358)
I have always had ceiling fans they help keep the air circulating. we have 4 in our home now. I have never had one fall, and i do not personally know of any that have fallen. Maybe the ones that you have heard of were not installed properly.