would you go on a vacation after an operation

@winterose (39918)
My sister just had breast surgery yesterday. It went well but of course she is in pain. The thing is she is going on a vacation to Cuba in one week. She thinks it will do her a lot of good, I think it is too soon especially if she is still in pain, what do you think?
I don't think one week will be good enough rest before a travel. To be sure, she should consult it with her doctor on how long should she rest before she can travel. A surgery is a major operation that should be allowed time for the body to heal.
@winterose (39918)
that was what I was thinking too, but she is said she is going and she will be okay
In my opinion, she can go for that vacation after a week or two. As long as it won't require vigorous movements it will be fine and will help her in her recovery period from the wound. Some people can have their wounds healed faster. They may be in pain after the operation because of the wound, but in a matter of one week, she will already be very fine to go walking and doing chores. She just have to eat lots of fruits and vegetables so she will heal faster. I can attest to that, when i had my total abdominal hysterectomy.
@winterose (39918)
thanks hon
She might be less likely to overdo things on vacation than if she stayed home. If her doctor gives her a release to travel I am sure it will be okay.
@winterose (39918)
I hope she was smart enough to ask, I will ask her tomorrow if she cleared it with her doctor
I´m on chemo and one of the things that keep me positive (very important) is to think about when will I be able to have vacations. She will have some pain anywhere and she will not do anything in Cuba but have fun. The only thing I´d recomend is to take a small suitcase with wheels and a small quantity of clothes. Tell her to have fun!!!
@winterose (39918)
thanks hon, I appreciate your response, and good luck with your chemo
@omchesunche (1755)
well, I think it depends on type of surgery.. If the doctor allowed them to going on vacation then should be no problem, in facts can help to recovery and forget about their daily routine.. Actually, the concern is on traveling distance or type of transportation, if our trips using comfortable transport should be no problem. But maybe need to keep duration of vacation, not too long..I think one week should be enough..
@ElicBxn (60895)
no... I have taken time off for surgery and done a trip before the surgery, but I tend to stay in bed feeling sorry for myself until I feel better...
@winterose (39918)
my sister says she feels really good
@ElicBxn (60895)
I was feeling pretty good about a week after my gall bladder, but I tired easily and my car was still in the shop, so I didn't get to go back to work... I sure wouldn't have gone on a TRIP afterward!
@chertsy (3804)
I pray shes feeling better in a week before she leaves. She might tolerate pain better than others. If it was me, I would not go, if the trip was already paid for, I would try to sell my tickets. I'm also a person that is very cheap. If shes in to much pain, traveling anywhere will not be fun. Hard to enjoy your self when your stuck inside in pain. Doesn't she need to get her doctor to clear that she can travel after surgery? Either way, I pray shes ok, so she can enjoy going to Cuba.
@winterose (39918)
apparently she did and the doctor said it would do her good. so all is okay, and she is feeling much better now
@mobhomeir (7565)
Hi winterose, I think your sister have already enough strength to manage the full recovery of her surgery. It would be not advisable if she would be force to take vacation without enough strength she would be needed..But, if she's still in pain I think it would be a big NO for her to travel.. Mobhomeir here.. 101311
@winterose (39918)
she is feeling so well now and it has only been three days since her operation, thank you for your concern.
@Amfyre (515)
The question is simply this, if infection sets and it can...how is there medical treatments to those in your counrty. Vacation is fine when your healthy and well, but after surgery its a shock to the system whether it is major or minor surgey. It takes time for the body to heal. Going to a foreign country brings into affect different illness, even simply things like the common cold there could be dangerous. I think it should be a no go until she is fully recovered!
@winterose (39918)
good point I wish I could convince her
if she could handle the pain and she believe it would help to recover soon then she could go on with her plan. it is nice to the body and mind to see another relaxing place that refresh. being confine in a house is also safe to do and when she is completely heal she could go. but with her adjustment period and she think she could and with the advice of her doctor to allow her. then she could travel when she could tolerate the pain s less and not really painful. but if she is under a lot of stress due to her operation. the best thing to do by her is to recuperate until her wounds get heal.
@neildc (17253)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
personally i think it is fine to have a vacation. if you can do it at home, i am fine in it. but if it will take time, i mean, if you have to travel and still in pain. hope she'll get better soon.