How did you find out what you truly want to do in life?

Recently, I've watched a Japanese series entitled "High School Restaurant". It's about a restaurant ran by a group of high school students and their cooking teacher. To those who are watching this, ***SPOILER ALERT*** There was a time when the students asked the teacher why he chose the culinary field. He said years ago, he decided to work in a restaurant where he ran errands for only because it was near to his apartment. While he was working late at night, a girl got stranded in the rain. He asked the girl if she was hungry, to which she nodded. Alone and not knowing how to cook, he tried to recreate the restaurant's dishes using the leftover ingredients. After the girl had her first bite, she smiled and said the food was delicious. From that moment on, he decided to pursue culinary arts. After sharing his story, he told his students not to worry about their future. They will eventually know what they want to do in life. He met the girl and it changed his life. He believed they'd be able to have such fateful meetings, too. My question is, have you had such fateful meetings? I haven't met anyone yet. I chose my degree based on what I thought interests me the most. I'm not as inspired as the teacher in the series. I'm yet to discover what my real passion is. Have you found what you truly want to do in life? If so, how?
@TrvlArrngr (4058)
My mom used to talk to me about what I wanted to do with my life, especially while I was in high school. She said, everyone has to work so why not work for a company with perks that you like? She had worked in the airline industry when she was young and single and traveled the world and that was what I wanted to do. I worked part time for Ticketron - they used to sell tickets to sporting and entertainment events. The perk was that I got free tickets all the time. During my first year at college, still not really knowing what I wanted to do, I sat down and sent out my resume to every single airline in New York. I went on a few interviews and luckily landed a great job with Alitalia Airlines in NYC. I was making lots of money and got to travel the world. I have worked in the travel industry ever since. My passion is helping people, mentoring, and leadership in business travel call centers. Do not worry, you will know it's right when it's time. Keep an open mind and try to think of what type of industry would you like to work for.
@airkulet (2705)
Very well said Trvlassngr, I think you are a great person by becoming a mentor one should be respected and already build up a good career. Hat's off to you!
TrvlArrngr, I like your mom's advice. Your job sounds interesting. It's wonderful to be able to earn lots of money while doing what you love. I think traveling makes people more intelligent because of the exposure they could get. I've recently learned that studies had shown that material things don't make people happy. They only give temporary happiness that doesn't last very long. Life experiences is something that can make people happy, such as traveling. I hope I can find what I truly want to do in life. Thank you for your nice comment.:)
Thank you both. Now I don't make lots of money - lol - but I make enough. I am sure I might be able to earn more running a boring call center but then what kind of perk would I have? free or reduced prices on nuts and bolts, or whatever they sell? Always look to see what else besides the salary is offered to you from a company. It's part of the whole compensation package. Good luck to you both!!
@mariahhh (1328)
• United Arab Emirates
Hi cheerfulnuts Honestly, I still don't know what I want to do with my life. I just chose a course that was in demand. After getting a degree, I decided to get a decent job, a safe job. I am working now in an office, doing some office works. But until now, I am still thinking what I want to do, what my passion is. I guess we all have our time to realize what we really like to do. But I guess I will have to wait longer.
Hi mariahhh. Even if you still don't know what your passion is, it's nice to know that you have a secure job now. Some people I know are jobless only because they couldn't find jobs that are interesting enough for them. I understand that it's hard to go to work everyday that doesn't make us happy. But I think it's much worse if we do nothing at all. I sincerely wish that you could find your passion. Good luck.:)
@mariahhh (1328)
• United Arab Emirates
Yes, I still chose to find a job instead of taking time thinking what I want to do with my life. I get bored working everyday since I don't like my job. But mylot helped me a lot. Whenever I feel bored, I will just open my mylot account in the office and I won't feel down and bored anymore.
@chiyosan (29388)
I am not watching the series you mentioned. :D but to answer the discussion topic/question you posted i would say that well i think up until this time i still have no clue as to how or what i would want my life to be, i do not know what i want to do specifically. unlike other people who always dreamed of being an artist, being a singer, etc and they go chase their dreams - i most certainly don't have anything like that!
Me too. All I know is that I want to be good at everything LOL. Some people already know what they want to do in life when they were kids. I'm not one of them. Thanks for your response, chiyosan.:)
@Bluedoll (17076)
I'm one of those people who is a poor example of knowing what I want. I can share this story of someone I knew once, however. He was a man with little interest in filling out forms, improving his resume or becoming skilled in the job search area, instead he became frustrated and one day told people with passion he had enough and was going to the slopes to ski, downhill. He did spend his time there skiing and in the lodge drinking hot chocolate and talking to people. He might of been worried about running out of the money required for the sport, I do not know, but he was a good skier and he did love it. I don't know much more about him or what he did, I am sorry, for such a short story, oh, did I mention he became one of the paid ski instructors at that resort?
Bluedoll, thank you for sharing this short story. Seeing other people do what they love inspires me to do the same. The only problem is, I don't know how. A lot of people end up having a job that they don't love. People say that if you love your job, you are the happiest person on earth. I agree with that. Isn't it nice to go to work everyday and do what you love? You wouldn't even call it "work"! Plus, you wouldn't have to wait until retirement to start enjoying life. What's the point if you're already old and weak? It's much better to be able to enjoy life while you're still young.
@GemmaR (8527)
I spent a lot of time during my teenage years worrying about what I was going to do when I left school, because I just didn't know what I wanted to do. I knew that I didn't want to be in an office job, and I kind of knew that I didn't want to work for anybody else either which means that I had to look at working for myself. For the past four years, I have done just that and I absolutely love it. I write articles in my spare time and get cheques from my clients every couple of days. I honestly couldn't be happier, and I am very proud of myself that I have managed to achieve these things.
@EdnaReyes (2628)
When one is young, the mind is not yet set to what the future holds but after several life's event, one discovers his true passion and with or without a person to make us to do,this passion will get out from its shell. It may come out soon or late but the bottom line is discovering one's self. I have found my passion when I started dreaming of becoming a novel writer. After some times of struggling I found it is really my life. I am now doing it, and the thrill and excitement I get each time my novel is published is always the same the first time my first was published.
I hope I will eventually get out of my shell. It's nice that you've found your dream, Edna. Congrats!
@bembzee (769)
I still have so many plans in life and it is all piling up. I now have a wife and three daughters and they are my number one priority. I have plans for the betterment of their life. All i want to do for now, is to show them how i love them.
That's so sweet of you bembzee. You're family is lucky to have you.:)
@katie0 (5212)
• Japan
By looking at the past, what did you like to do when you were a child and spontaneous? What did you do when you just went there and did it? Drawing? Writing? That child knows your soul, now when we grow up we are what others says we are and sometimes what our heart really wants gets lost, or sleeps...
@airkulet (2705)
I never knew what I really wanted to do with my life, all I know is that I tried to survive everyday and met along the way some friends, and even my future husband. Now that we already married and having a child, my life concentrates to on how can I serve more to my family. I think that I forgot everything that I wanted to do after having my own family as our goal is to keep our family taking care of.
Airkulet, it's nice to hear that you care for your family a lot more than your career. People's priorities do change over the years. I think when I finally get married and have my own kids, they'll be my number one priority. As my professor said, what's the use of having a successful career when your kids grow up to be rebellious or worse, criminals? Having said that, there's nothing wrong with working while caring for your family as long as you can balance both. A lot of people do too many things at once and they fail to set their priorities. Congrats for your baby by the way! Best wishes.:)
@airasheila (5460)
A great day to you Cheerfulnuts, As far as your main topic is concern, honestly, I haven't find yet what I want to do with my life as of now. Since I have resign from my desk job work only this year. I am trying to put an enterprise but I could not get the full support to some of my family members so I am doing it own my own. I am gathering everything from the scratch. Hoping that I can get an initial break for me to prove that I can. While waiting for that break, I am trying to do some writing jobs for me to have an earnings to support some of my needs. I am trying everything to earn. Aside from that, I am also doing some photography and hoping that this will somehow help me to have additional earnings.
Hi airasheila. It really takes a lot of courage to resign from your job and to start a business of your own. As if it's not intimidating enough, the lack of support from family could really be stressful. I salute you for your courage. What made you decide to do all this? Best wishes to you. Let us know after you've succeeded.:)
There are very few luckies who find out, and manage to do what they want in life. We are mostly victims of opportunities, we think of "what we want to be when we grow up", as children, and then wonder "what if I had done that with my life" when we are old. Can you realy do what you want?
Sandacocos, yeah, perhaps it's just a matter of luck. I also think that the more exposure we get, the better our chances of finding out our passion. Thank you for your response.:)