Why don't politicians understand business?

I don't think I will ever understand why it is that politicians claim to understand business when they really don't. A prime example of this is in the energy sector. Every republican wants to open up all land, and end all regulations on drilling in this country, thus allowing for oil companies to drill where ever, and how ever they want. Rick Perry is the latest to come out with a "plan" to do this, saying that it will create 1.5 million jobs. The problem with this logic is that he doesn't understand how the oil business works. It cost about $85 a barrel to get oil out of the ground here in the United States, due to the type of oil, the amount of exploration, and the cost of getting the oil out of the ground. Right now they can buy oil without putting out any time, money, or man power for the same price. So, oil would have to get over $100 a barrel for them to even think about drilling here in the US. The other thing about this logic is if this really would impact the oil industry as much as they say, than why didn't republicans do this when they controlled the entire government? So can you explain to me why politicians don't understand what some of us already know?
@Fatcat44 (1142)
Remind me - When did the republicans control the entire government?
2004 - 2006
@Fatcat44 (1142)
You mean 2005-2006. But it wasn't filly-buster proof like the Dems had in 2009-2010 I agree the republicans did not do the best job at this time. But remember, Frank and Dodd told them that the housing market was great and stopped them from passing the financial reforms that may have help curved off meltdown in 2007
Fatcat, remind me again how many times republicans listen to democrats and just take their word for it? Do you really mean to tell me that there wasn't a republican that knew ANYTHING about housing? The President himself warned congress of the housing crisis, but did NOTHING to stop it.
The reason many politicians do not understand business is because they do not live in the real world, they will always get paid and the only thing they have to do is go to meetings, make decisions, read bills and campaign. And they make a lot more than normal people too, so they don't understand what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck or be jobless.