My daughter might not make it in job corp..

her chore is to clean the living room when everyone goes to bed. curfew on weekends is 12 midnight. She has been suffering from insomnia for years. but they gave her these pills called melotonin something like this. and she has been getting sleepy early. well her back is hurting and she was in the nurse all day. and she was so mad at the house staff that she cursed at the woman and told her she would not do the chore because she was tired. My heart just fell when I heard them going word for word. I told my daughter to go to bed for an hour and I will call to wake her at midnight for her to do her chore. She is not use to doing anything she is told to do. I think they will soon tell her she has to leave. I told her to please do her chore. I said to be honest if you can go to walmart you should do your chore. she woke up and did her living room and called me to say goodnight.
@winterose (39917)
yes is going to have to abide by the rules whether she likes them or not. The only thing she can do is explain the situation and ask for a different chore, but to mouth off will not get her anywhere. She is not a princess but just another girl in the job core and she has to learn that.
She is going to learn to deal in due time right now it has only been two weeks. Thanks and glad to see you here.
@winterose (39917)
the whole experience may be very good for her, to help her mature, hon I am always sick now, I have hardly been on the computer for a month.
@stephcjh (32327)
She sounds so much like my daughter. She thinks she should have everything and not have to do anything to get it.
That is pretty much how it has been for her for years. she knows now that life does not work that way.
@enelym001 (8333)
Since she hasnt been used to that kind of job, I guess she only needs time and a little adjustment to get used to it. Good luck to your daughter.
I forgot to mention I love your avatar.. it is very cute. Thanks for the this. she will get there in time.
@carmelanirel (20979)
I don't recall you ever saying she had back problems before, so if her back is hurting, it is probably due to not having to do work, in that case she just needs to watch how she picks things up, (by using her legs and not her back) and do some exercises to get in shape. Because gifts, if all she has to do is clean the living room, she is in trouble. I mean if she had her own home, she should clean not only the living room, but the whole place, unless she makes enough money to hire someone. Cleaning is a part of life, she needs this discipline to become a better person..
You're right about the back problem.
@sid556 (31003)
Almost sounds like my daughter when she was there. They are pretty strict on these things. What I remember the most is feeling that I wanted her to succeed more than what she wanted herself too. She just simply didn't care enough. I had to finally back off and let her fall. She got it and it took a while but there reaches a point when they have to care at least enough about their well-being and future as you do. One thing about Job corp that I was really against was them paying these kids who were already troubled for failing miserably. It was really evident in my household because my daughter has a sister that is only 11 months older. Her sister was an honor student but because of a mix-up when her guidance councellor told her what credits she needed to graduate, we had to pay for her to go to night school to get that extra credit and she did not graduate with her class. It was hard to come up with that money but she was worth it. She'd worked so hard and was a real good kid. On the flip side, we had her sister who was so much like your daughter. She got paid 700.00 from job corp when they booted her out for screwing up!!! Fair??? Not at all. The check was in her name and she blew it on her boyfriend and vices that we were trying to get her away from. Not only that...they sent her a couple of bonus checks for around 40.00. Why? not sure. But at that point I was dealing with a highschool drop out that didn't work and was headed to bigger trouble and our freakin government was sending her checks!! Trust me, the tough love shoe came down hard on that little girl!
I heard a few people got sent home with big checks. It is just the way they do things. Someone spit in another persons face a day ago. I wonder what they went home with.
@bagarad (12868)
• Paso Robles, California
I was afraid this might happen. It's not easy to break old habits like mouthing off. I'm glad she did do the chore. Melatonin is a hormone our body usually makes. It helps us associate light with being awake and dark with getting sleepy. It aids sleep for some people, especially older folks like me. But it doesn't work like a real sleeping pill and make one sleep.
I just bought 4 bottles last night on ebay. I hope they help adrian to sleep.
@Amanda81587 (3046)
Well its good to see that she did it. It might be rough at first because she is doing things that she is not use to doing. But I am sure she will get into the hang of things and start to get comfortable. Well at least we can hope.
I will see what it is like for her in a month or so. I hope she stays there and makes it out as well.
I am keeping my fingers crossed for her and for you as well.
Everything is fine today. she will be better in a few days.
@carolscash (9500)
It is time that this young lady learns that she must respect authority and that she is going to have to follow some rules. I am thankful that my girls have always been fearful of not following rules as they knew the consequences of going astray. My oldest was grounded for 6 months once- no phone, no car ( Which she bought and paid for), nothing extra. She learned a lesson real fast!
I think some parents are afraid to stand up to their kids. Her daughter has hit her before also, I think I remember. I think there has to be consistency in a mother/daughter relationship, and the child needs to know that she/he isn't the one in control when they live under the parent's roof. In this child's case.. she was put out... I think.. due to her actions. I kind of think that there has been some kind of breakdown in the relationship. I hope that it can get on track and this girl makes a decent life for herself now that she is growing up.
@sharone74 (4839)
Did she somehow hurt her back? Couldn't she be excused from her chore by the nurse that she was seeing all day? Chores are a good thing for kids, they teach them responsibility and strength of purpose. Don't count her out yet, she may yet surprise everyone!
@mentalward (14695)
She just needs time to adjust to her new way of living. Hopefully, she'll see that cleaning the living room is a really small thing compared to what she's getting out of Job Corp. If you want, tell her about a friend of my son's who went to Job Corp years ago and he is now doing exceptionally well, making an excellent salary in his profession and very happy with his life. Good luck to both of you!
@mentalward (14695)
Oh! I forgot something. I wanted to say that I take melatonin to help me sleep, too. An emergency room doctor told me about it and said that he takes it when he can't sleep. The thing about melatonin is that you should NEVER take it until you're ready to go to sleep. It doesn't take long after you take it that you're yawning and your eyelids get very heavy. Your daughter needs to remember to take it ONLY after she's done what she needs to do for the day or at the very earliest around 15 minutes before she's through for the day.
So wait she has to stay up until after midnight to clean the living room? Thats ridiculous. Maybe they should expect her instead to wake up a half hour early in the morning to clean it. That seems more normal. Maybe she is tired and wants to go to bed at 8pm why should she have to stay up until 12 am to do the cleaning. That isnt cool. I dont know. I had a huge problem with authority when I was a teen. I didnt even think you could get kicked out of job core.
Maybe they are trying to give structure and order. I didn't care for authority either. But maybe this job corps will give her enough self esteem to dump her abusive boyfriend.
First of all, is Job Corp a boot camp? I heard it is. Terrible place... Secondly... did she decide to do this on her own? ATTEND Job Corp I mean. Thirdly... if education is an issue... just let her go to an actual school where they will take time to listen to you. Job Corp is a very bad choice...
@globaldoc (860)
There are definitely requirements for one to be hired and retained in a company. This is the reason what an individual who has a good working habit is someone who has the will, the dedication, the discipline, and the drive to get things right, even if it requires them to spend time away from their families.
@eljayo (1107)
Hi! Being stress makes a person irritable.She needs your understanding. Do not worry Insomnia is manageable.
I'm sorry. That's the thing. She needs more motivation. Stuff like... Do your chore or I will take your phone away, or something you enjoy away. Good Luck!
I think the Job Corps is probably used to dealing with people like your daughter. If she doesn't make it doesn't she have some jail time or won't the probation officer have something to say if she fails the Job Corp? It is going to be tough for her but it a growing up experience.
It would be a shame. This is the best thing that could happen for her. Discipline and structure can turn a person's life around. Hopefully she won't quit and they will be patient with her. I've tried Melatonin before because it's a natural product. It never made me sleepy. I wish it had.
I hope she will just settle in and get down to reality. She isn't used to taking orders, and this will have to change if she is to get anywhere in life. I hope they will not kick her out of job corps. This is like a last chance to get it right. He back may hurt, but she can probably rest now and then... I know I have to rest throughout the day to get done what I have to get done. Melotonin is good stuff. I used it for awhile for sleep. It's a hormone that tells us when it is time to sleep.. it works with darkness... when it gets dark it is time to sleep. I have to have dark and quiet in order to sleep. I used to just mute the tv at night and sleep, but I usually have to cut it off now in order to sleep. I am hard to get to sleep.
• Yemen
I think your daughter needs time and understanding from the people around her to adjust to the new changes. she is going to make it in the long run