Do you believe in eternal love?

Romania
Personally, I think that love is more an illusion, is a sum of things which made society to call an abstract notion love. I don't want to discuss this now. The question is: Do you believe that love can last for a lifetime? Or it is just the routine, the children, the common material wealth which makes couples stay together? I am curious how you guys think on this, because it is hard for me to accept that a feeling stays the same for decades, for a lifetime. Even the love of the parents towards their children is changing in intensity in my opinion, but I want to discuss about the love between partners.
I am an ole romantic and do believe in love. My intention is to have it last a life time but then my partner of course has to want it also. Being in love with my boyfriend now for almost 8 years and holding strong, I am hoping it to last a lifetime. We both want the same things out of life so we work at it on a daily basis. As for the love of my kids, oh gosh yes I love them more then my own life and definitely unconditionally will love them eternally.
I don't want to be a happiness spoiler nor a questioning person, but I still need to ask you this: Don't you believe that the feeling you have is more a learned one, you just want this and it is more like loyalty and the custom of being with your partner? As for kids, I always thought that parents love their children with different feeling and intensity, but the root of this feeling is that they know that that child is theirs. I have seen many times when children got on the wrong path and became criminals, parents turned away from them, because of the shame and they have even said that that child is not their child anymore. Don't take it personally, but I have to check out all the possibilities, because I am really curious how think about this, as I am very interested in human psychology and spirituality.
You convinced me. I guess I have this personality which is trying to understand everything before taking it in and that is why I am skeptical about this. I am glad that you have so clear and pure feelings and I wish you to enjoy it forever. Hope I didn't bother you with my questions, I just wanted to know more about this, even if it is a bit personal, but I needed this response to have a clear vision on your situation. And I have to say that I have a huge respect for you and all of the people who made themselves a decent life even though they had to do that by their own power and work. Hats off!
Not at all my dear friend, I enjoy it here very much. Interacting in discussions allows us to get to know and understand one another. I do enjoy conveying what I do here as not only does it help others when some ask questions it allows me to learn something new on a daily basis here.
@Hazelme (649)
Love can last a lifetime of course if both partners put effort into it and don't just give up when there tired of each other. You should know love last a lifetime. Haven't you seen or heard many elders die with their partners. Love emotionally and physically exist and will last but of course they going to have problems in between.
I have seen many couples who have stayed together for decades, till the end of the days, but I believe the main reasons for this are other than strictly love: there are many economical reasons, prestige reasons and the fact that they don't know if after a while they could start over again. I made this discussion to find out how others see this things, it is not necessary that I should be right, I have just posted my views. But, honestly speaking, I don't really believe that there is a feeling which is the same from day one till the end. Maybe I am wrong, but till now, this is what I experienced and this is what I think.
No, I am not angry at all, and I didn't wanted to sound like that, I just wanted to expose my point of view clearly and maybe that is what it got from it. You haven't insulted me at all, I like when somebody who thinks different than me tells me what he/she believes. And I see that you believe that love is changing during time, like every other thing in life.
@bubuth (1816)
i think love last for a lifetime..and i also believe i destiny..
Can you explain why do you believe in love that lasts for a lifetime? Have you had any experiences?
@Sanitary (3969)
Love can be for a lifetime as well as a routine. It's hard to draw a line between the two because both involves the same things and daily happenings. People in the relationship or marriage will try to deny it's a routine because once they admit to it, it means love is really lost between them. I still believe there's eternal love somewhere just that i haven't meet them in person.
Very well said. I guess people are mistaken this feelings a lot, but till they don't realize this, it cannot be a problem, because love is also an illusion in the most cases. So if a couple can live in an illusion for a lifetime and they are happy, then so be it.
@GemmaR (8526)
I have to say that I do believe in eternal love, but only if you find the right person who you want to spend the rest of your life with. There are so many people out there in the world today who end up with the wrong person in their lives and then simply don't have the courage to admit that they have made a mistake and that it would be much better if they split up and found other people to be with. Love does change over time, but I do believe that we can stay in love for the rest of our lives if our partner loves us in the same way.
It is very interesting what you say here. So you believe in eternal love, but there have to be conditions fulfilled for that. I admit that I think this way also, but I don't consider that love if it is conditioned by something. Maybe it sounds a bit strange to you, but I am a person who likes to take everything through reason first and after that I accept those impulses as feelings, as things which we cannot control.
@airkulet (2705)
I believe it! I personally experienced it me and my husband are also in a winding relationship before we get married. Every time that we fight we threaten ourselves to separates but we just couldn't until now that we are husband and wife we still love each other even in a distance that we are both far away. We made a promise also that if we fight we should reconcile before the dawn will came. We had this contract actually that we only knew it in our hearts and that is no one will fall out of love.
It sounds a bit like loyalty more than love, like keeping a promise. I don't want to be rude or offensive, but I need to question everything, as I want certainty. I am sure that you and your husband know better what you feel and what you think, I just need 100% sure answers.
@soulist (2987)
I have always believed in eternal love. That once you love someone you will always love someone. When you really love someone you love them through everything. Through better or worse. The love of a couple, the love of a parents for children etc. its all eternal and special.
I see your point of view. But don't you believe that this love feeling is changing during our lives, and maybe changes to loyalty and other learned feelings? I am just curious.