Is Multi-tasking really benificial for the employee?

@laniekins (4585)
I have come to this question a million times but now is one of the major day that I really mean it. My day at the office starts with not so good day, the person in-charge at printing the plans is on SL and I have a few idea about the plans that needs to submit to the client now and the boss is bugging me about it. I am now beginning to hate coordinating with the printing and blueprints of the plans, I've done it many many times and I am not liking it. The worst is the blueprints that's a bit heavy will be delivered by me alone without CAR, you know it's hard to commute under the heat of the sun with something in your hand while walking kinda far. I feel like doing the man's job, while my original title is Administrative Assistant but since we don't have budget for messenger/utility, I am task for the job. I shouldn't have not wear my heels, for sure it's gonna be fun. Even if I've done this job for many many times and doing multi-tasking on my previous job too, I just can't take it anymore. I am a petite skinny girl with a lot of issues on my health. I feel like multi-tasking is not healthy anymore with the burden of a small salary. If you are in multi-tasking job right now, how do you feel about it and what are your worse experiences?
@enelym001 (8333)
would you believe I have obliged to work on my boss' two company before. I complained about it at first and of course I really hate it because I have already managed my time before he gave me an additional job. But then later on, I feel that multi-tasking and having different jobs is an advantage because it increases my knowledge and if I were to apply in another company at least I could proudly say that I know a lot of things =) what sucks is that the increase is just very less xxx
@laniekins (4585)
That would be tough, yes we gained experiences and knowledge but I think they also should review the amount of additional job. You are bit lucky than me cause when I handle multiple position I was never offered additional salary like now. My salary is just the same as my other officemates before. It depends on the type of employee they got like my previous superior, she is naturally an accountant but I think she shifts into Document Control Clerk or DCC. That position has a very wide range of job description. While she's a DCC and audit coordinator, she was offered to be a production supervisor, HR/Training Assistant and QC supervisor. It didn't work out, her female boss and her didn't blend well, before she accepts the offer she ask a high price. When she resigned and they pass on almost her responsibility to me but they never offered me any salary raise. Maybe because they think that I am not the type who will ask and I am not professional to the field. I've felt I was exploited on that part. I resigned when I felt that I didn't see any future on that company.
@eljayo (1107)
Hi! For me it is beneficial since you are able to finish a lot of task. Time management is really important when it comes to multi tasking because if you don't have this you will end up not finishing any task.
@laniekins (4585)
I do my best to manage my time when it comes to task but my first priority is paying of taxes cause I don't want to get into trouble of paying penalty and processing of it. My boss' priority is submitting the product to the client which is right. He most of the time gives me the job out of the blue and in no time, like when it's almost 5pm that's when he will give me the job and we need to finish it. On the previous company I've worked for, when it's audit time for ISO certification, I even go to work on Sundays just to do a lot of work and my boss' work too. I go to the office as early as 8:00 am and go out as late as 10-11pm sometimes 12mn. I think my body paid of the stress and physical pain I've get from working too much. I am now suffering from being forgetful, I forgot even the smallest detail like what did I do 1 min. earlier. I've handle HR function, administrative function, Audit coordinator and the worst of all is the Document Control Clerk. I attended the audit for 4 category which is HR, Training, DCC & Internal Audit. The audit was taken for 1 day only, that was so stressful and they never give me any salary increase, I am not even under contract in their company. Now that I am asking for Employment Certificate, they won't gave me cause I am not a contract worker.
@yspmyl (3438)
Hi! I believe doing multi task in a company is quite commons especially for a small company that only have a few staff. Most of the workers will have to cover a few job scope and it will be more when someone is absence. For me, it is something good since you can learn more things and at the same time, you can also train yourself to be more organised and be able to handle more tasks in a same period. It is something good for your future if you are looking for new job. At least with the skill you have, you can have more choices out there instead of just the administrative work. Just take it as your normal routine and do whatever you can within the working hour, that is the only time allocated for you, so, you just work for that 8 hours for example, no matter what kind of work you do, you only work for 8 hours.
@laniekins (4585)
I also do believe that it will take one step forward than other employee who do the same thing on their life unless you are a career shifter. But it also has the bad side of it like the other job sacrifice, your body will be more exhausted and more stress. Most of the time I extend working hours not only because to busy but because he gives me the other job at almost closing time. There are jobs that is out of my range that he wants me to finish so I really extend my jobs, actually all of us if needed to.
@airkulet (2705)
Be patient a little, not everyone now gets a decent job. Besides if your co-worker will come back after his leave things would be easy for you. We must take multitask if the other wasn't able to work. Good luck to your work!
@laniekins (4585)
Thank you, we've been patiently waiting and understanding the boss and the company for almost 3 years now, it does not only mean by multi-tasking but it includes issues like the right compensation and the what he always told us "profit sharing" for pioneer like us but he never gives. To correct you I don't have any assistant or personnel to shares the job with and no one is on leave. I am the only one in administrative department plus my boss so I do the job almost 3 years now.
@vasumathi (438)
Health is first in any cases. We should not give up our health on any cause. Make sure that take care of your health. You can do multi tasking until your body able to manage it.
@laniekins (4585)
Thank you for understanding my situation, I can feel that my body is slowly weaking, maybe because of stress and other factor. Actually, I am not afraid to die, what I am afraid for is suffer from a disease for long time, cause it's not only me who will suffer but my family and loved ones too.
I understand fully the situation that you are in. You might as well consider wearing flat and comfortable shoes for work from now on. Here is a better trick. Keep handy a pair of flat and comfortable shoes in your locker. If you don't have an office locker, keep it in your office table drawer. How come the company does not provide you with a company service car for a job that requires manly strength? Perhaps there is a need for you to ask for one. Or at least, request that you take the taxi while delivering those blueprints and then do the regular commuting on your way back to the office. There must be ways to solve your problem, I really think so. Speak up your mind to the boss. Then his mind will open up to be able to see the true picture and understand your situation. It is just a matter of communicating.
@laniekins (4585)
If you are a Filipino working for a Filipino bosses I'm sure you know that most of the Filipino business owner or boss have that attitude of if they can save money, they will save and if you can do your job no matter how hard it is, they won't provide an assistant or raising your salary. They will just say that as of now they don't have budget blah blah blah. One situation is when I ran for another delivery with that big blueprint at the same place, he gave me instruction on another route to save a little money for the fare, I didn't expect that I will take an overpass just to get to another side, after I get back at the office, I told him that the stair was to high for me to reach while carrying heavy papers. He was like he don't care at all cause he thinks that it was that easy. I proposed another route and he said I shouldn't take another ride to get to the client's building. He said I can take a walk, yes I can walk but that will be a long walk and I'm telling you it's not that easy. He even can't or don't want to hire a messenger, how much more to buy a company service?