Can't believe I am having an argument in my daughter's reading record book

My daughter has been having problems with her new teacher since she went back to school 6 weeks ago. I've had my little girl coming home telling me, "my teacher doesn't like me because I'm no good at anything" and things of that nature. Every child has a reading record book. They have a reading book which they are meant to read both with their teacher and with me. At home, my daughter reads through her books just fine. She might struggle on a word or two but she perseveres and she gets there. I am now going to copy out the comments from her reading record book recently. Teacher, 10th October: She must read what is on the page. She looks at the pictures and guesses. She finds reading very hard and must improve. Me, 10th October: She has not had any problems reading at home. Please cover the pictures if they distract her. Teacher, 17th October: She tried hard to read a yellow level book. At this stage she should be reading orange level books. She must improve her phonic knowledge to succeed this year. She got a new book that day, the teacher wrote it in. She wrote the date. We read it at home but didn't write anything. On 19th, the teacher wrote the date again and a ? in the box next to the 17th. I am getting seriously annoyed now. So in the box beneath her ? I have given her another ?, and asked "has she done any reading in class at all?" Today (21st) I have listened to her read the whole book, without struggling, and written "Read through, no problems. Negative comments are, in my opinion, destroying her confidence in class. She needs encouragement, not criticism." I am trying SO hard not to tell this teacher my real opinion of her!
I am so not the person who you should be taking advice from but Ill toss in my two cents. My Son was and is a fantastic reader but infront of his teacher he would doubt himself. It was almost like he was setting his expectaions of himself where he thought she had them if that makes any sense. This is my kids future that we are talking about here and not just his reading so I did tell the teacher, then the principal. After that I pulled him out of the school all together and now we school at home. We do k12 so there is still state testing and a teacher that tests every few weeks to make sure we are doing okay. My Son turned into a different person over night. It isnt okay to tear down a kid especially when the person doing it is someone you are trusting to teach them. I dont believe in sugar coating things or making things up to make it seem better then it is but she is there to help your daughter not convince her she cant do it. Im so sorry you are dealing with this.
Just to clarify, my Son turned into a confident happy kid that I didnt know was in there. He felt so bad about himself and now he knows he can do anything he sets his mind to. Positive attitudes can make a world of difference to a kid.
@Amanda81587 (3046)
Honestly I think it would be better if you told the teacher what you were thinking in the defense of your daughter. This teacher is there ton help her learn and if she is so bad at reading like she says then I would tell her to do her job and teacher her. We send out children to school for them to learn. The teachers chose this career if we would have choosen this career we would be sitting in that classroom not at our jobs. I think you should arrange a meeting maybe with her and the principal at the same time, if that does not work talk to the principal about getting her a different teacher. This teacher is wrecking your child something needs to be done. my child is suppose to be at a reading level of c and he is just about to be in a reading level of b he does not get nasty comments.
I get the impression she is one of those teachers who think they are better than everyone else because they got a uni education. My daughter has extra help in school, she sees another lady for phonics once or twice a week and this lady is absolutely lovely. So after getting the brush-off from the teacher, we approached her to discuss our concerns. However when she attempted to talk to the teacher, she was told in no uncertian terms its none of her business and she isn't allowed to discuss our daughter's work with us. The poor woman is now terrified of losing her job if she helps us any more. That makes me so much more angry than I already was!
Wow this is a serious problem. Have you went to the principal yet? Or thier supervisor? Are there any other schools around you?
There are other schools but not Catholic schools and its important to me that she goes to this one. I may ask if there is a possibility of her changing teachers, otherwise I will be on thios woman's back all year if necessary
@r3jcorp (1384)
There is really a problem with the teacher. I think you should take time and talk to her.
I already had a meeting with her and she just brushed me off
Good now it is time you go to the principal and talk to her about he teacher and talk about getting a new one.
Is it about time that they are going to be having parent and teacher conferences at the school? If so, that would be the perfect time to talk with the teacher about the differences that the two of you are seeing. If the school does not do parent teacher conferences with all parents, then there is no reason that you could not schedule a time with the teacher. I know that there are times that it is difficult to understand what is really going on since you aren't there, but you are your daughter's parent and for that reason you have got to be her advocate.
The last couple of years they have stopped those, now they have a general meeting in the hall for all parents and we just have to listen to what the curriculum is that year. Unless you make an appointment you don't get any opportunity for an individual discussion. I made an appointment but I really felt like my concerns were dismissed, it was almost like I was treated as one of her 6 year old students. My daughter will always come home and tell me about problems though. I have drilled it into her, that no matter what any teacher or anyone else says, I am always on her side, and I will fight for her, so she should never be reluctant to tell me anything. And I mean it - like this teacher, if I feel anyone is holding her back or being unfair to her, I will stand up and defend her until I get satisfactory results. It makes me so angry when she paints my little girl as "trouble". If she thinks she's trouble, she needs to meet her mother!
@Rosa26 (2620)
I hope you have solve the problem with the teacher attitude, I think, that t teacher needs to take classes of how to encourage the students to read not to make then feel bad about themselves, if well known that a good teacher praise all the little advance of the in order to motivate then to go on and built confidence. But her attitude ifs destroying the self stem of your daughter.
@maximax8 (27048)
I believe that your little girl is doing her best with reading. I think that her teacher does not like her reading very much and is making rather negative comments. Your daughter needs help and encouragement. All this criticism is making her really sad and she might begin not to like reading anymore. I told my disabled son's teacher and assistants to say two positive things about the day to higher his self esteem. They were told to put their negative comments in the home and school contact book. This makes my son behave well in school. He is on the first reading book of the reading scheme. I also had a meeting at the school plus phoned the Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Association now called Shine. Good luck with speaking to your daughter's teacher.