Math is not my friend :(

I'm a sophomore in college majoring in psychology. I already took the required college algebra and statistics course last year. Stats was absolutely horrible and I hated every minute of it so I was relieved when it was finally over and I thought I was done with mad for good. So I signed up for my classes that I'm currently taking and one of the required courses for my major is called quantitative psychology. I really had no idea what it was about until I got my textbook...and it's all about statistics What's even harder is the fact that I'm taking it online and I don't have a teacher I can physically talk to to understand things. This week's homework assignment is killing me because I have absolutely no idea what to do and it's frustrating me. No matter how much I read in the textbook I can't get it. So I posted a question in the discussion forum of the class and I'm hoping either the teacher or another student will be able to help me out. Has math ever given you any problems?
@bounce58 (17524)
Sorry, but math and algebra are actually good friends of mine. It's their cousin Trigonometry that I've only me a couple of times. And which I don't want to meet anymore. I'm sorry that you're having a hard time in math. I guess some people are just made up differently. I hope somebody's already helped you. Or that your teacher has already reached out to you.
The funny thing is, I really loved taking algebra in high school and college. The ones I don't do well with are calculus and stats. I already had stats last semester and my teacher wasn't so great and I ended up teaching the material to myself. Now, I'm taking a class called quantitative psychology and it turns out being a whole stats course..and I'm taking it online. Luckily, the professor I have is really good about answering questions and being involved in the class and she usually gets to my questions right away. I don't fully understand it, but I know enough to do the homework and hopefully do it on the exams
@bounce58 (17524)
Well, I hope you do enough too to get a good grade!
Thanks! I'm trying my hardest so we'll see what happens lol
@megamatt (14327)
Funnily enough, I could really be good with math at one day and be absolutely lost, where no matter what explanation was given, I was swimming around, unable to really keep my head above the water a lot of the time. I think that really the teacher had a lot to do with it a lot of the time. I was surprisingly competent at math a lot of the times. Then other times, not so much, as I struggled a lot with doing math. So yeah there were many days where math was not my friend. Oddly enough, my crowning moment was getting an A in college algebra and to this day, I am baffled that I did so well a lot of the time. Yet it is just really something that gives me a lot of pause, a lot of thought to say the very least. Math can be easy for some people and a lot of nightmares for a lot of people. And sometimes depending on the day, it could be both.
For me, it depends a lot on the teacher. If I have a teacher that's good at explaining it then I don't have as much trouble with math. My college algebra professor explained things really well and I ended up getting an A in the class. But when I took stats, my professor was pretty horrible and I basically had to teach the material to myself and I ended up with a C. This semester, I have quantitative psychology which is pretty much statistics. I'm taking it online and find that some of the things are harder to learn without having to go to a physical class. Luckily, my online professor is pretty helpful and she answers the questions I have as best she can.
@bounce58 (17524)
Maybe that's why algebra and stat are my friends. Because I remember the teachers that were teaching them when I was back in university, were no more than 2 or 3 years older than me. And they explained it really well. It was just like approaching a friend when you had questions.
Math is hard at first but if you just keep on with it, it will be like a walk in the park. I was also not that good in math and I almost always stayed away from my math subject back in highschool. Although when I took up Civil Engineering, the applications of math when it comes to engineering really fascinated me. That's one of the reasons why I got interested on learning math. Another reason is because of the chic seated beside me back in algebra. LOL
lol That's pretty funny. I'm actually not that bad at basic math. When I had college algebra I really liked it. What I'm not good at is calculus and statistics. I'm done for good with calc but stats is still haunting me lol
Yeah, statistics really did a number on me back then. I failed the subject 3 times. Although, if you consider the fact that it can help you to know a lot of things, like probability and stuff, that's what made me interested on studying it.
@maximax8 (28558)
When I was at secondary school my worst subjects were Maths, Physical Education and Science. I even managed to drop Science because I found it so boring. I have a 16 year old son and he good superb results for his exams including A* in Psychology, A in Statistics and B in Maths. He is doing A Levels in Psychology, Maths, History, Government and Politics and Religious Studies. I remember going with my 16 year old son to choose his options. The Psychology tutor said that lots of Statistics and Maths was involved in the course. I don't get on well with either Maths or Statistics. I was once told by a Maths teacher that I am stupid in that subject. Good luck.
Wow, that's pretty bad the teacher told you you were stupid in the subject. I'm usually pretty good at math except for calculus and statistics..those are the two I absolutely hate. Psychology is very interesting and I remember I loved taking it in high school. Hopefully if your son continues with psychology he'll get the hang of stats :)
I used to despise mathematics from high school to college,and until now I can't find any logical applications of those algorithm,trigonometry....and all others I don't even remember anymore. Case in point you're studying Psychology..whats all those math subject got to do with it?Pardon my ignorance but by golly,please enlighten me.
For me, math is only useful for basic things like adding and subtracting. I'm sure statistics is useful, but I absolutely hate it. Stats is necessary for psychology since they do lots of experiments and the researchers need to figure out if the testing had any improvement of the problem, how much of an improvement, etc. I never realized this until I started taking this quantitative psych course. Even though I have no plans to become a research psychologist, I still need the stats courses :O
@thatgirl13 (7307)
• South Korea
Well maths has never given me any problem and actually I am quiet good at it and enjoy solving my problems lol anyway the problematic subject for me has always been science. Man, I don't get science at all!! It used to and always frustrates me
@bagarad (12742)
• Paso Robles, California
Math has always been my worst subject, except for geometry, which I loved. The only college math I had to take was Tests and Measurements (statistics) for my teaching credential. I did not like it. Had it not been for math I might have been a botany major, but I knew it would have to take chemistry and organic chemistry, and I knew that would be too much for me. So I majored in English, which was easy. I might have done better in advanced math if we had been able to use calculators for things like figuring square roots. I always messed up the calculations. Now the kids seem to be able to use calculators -- even on tests.
For me, statistics is the worst..especially since my major requires 2 courses of it. I definitely think math has stopped me from pursuing a few different careers that maybe I would've liked to do. Forget chemistry, I took it in high school and struggled. Even though the math wasn't too complicated, it still made no sense to me and I really had to work at it. Calculators definitely come in handy but still we're not allowed to use them all the time and when we can use them, it has to be a certain type of calculator that won't do everything for us. I remember when I took calculus, the graphing calculator was my best friend. You can literally do every type of math problem on one of those. I even brought it with me to take the ACT and I could just plug in the problem and the answer would come out.
@cearn25 (3460)
Sometimes Math gave headaches to me. I hated it whenever I find it hard solving a certain problem when in fact the answer is just right there. When I was an IT student, I thought I was the most worst person who have taken math. At that time I took a lot of math subjects including College Algebra, Plane Trigonometry and Discrete Structures which I really find it difficult aside from the programming subjects. After 1 and a half semester, I shifted to another course which is International Studies and just last semester I took up a Math subject that is Math A and now I am taking up Math D dealing with Statistics. I will still have to find out if this math d will be giving me headache one more. I hope I will pass.