my cat is coughing

@clrumfelt (5424)
My cat has been coughing for about a week, and she has become quite irritive with her kittens, too. What could be wrong with her?
@ElicBxn (60884)
how old are the kittens? there are all kinds of reasons for a cat to cough, but you need to eliminate the obvious ones. could she have a respiratory problem? if so, it could be dangerous for the kittens... In fact, if the kittens are 5-6 weeks old, you might want to take them away from her - yes, it would be better if they were 7-8 weeks old, but if she could make them sick, you really don't want to take a chance, tho after a week...
@jugsjugs (13045)
A cat will sometimes cough if they have a fur ball, worms, also cat flu, but with cat flu they would have other symptoms as well.As it has been a week and the cat is not happy, as well as has kittens, if i were you take her to the vet, after all it is better being safe than sorry.
@savypat (20246)
I would get her to the Vet right away, there are some very nasty illnesses that can kill not only Mom but all your kittens also. Even if she is an inside cat some virus can come in on someones cloths or shoes. If she's ill that might be the reason she's irritated with her young ones.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
After a week of it, you can be pretty sure it probably isn't a fur-ball stuck in her throat. Just curious, has she ever been de-wormed by you or a vet? There are types of worms that cats get that are long and thin, and I know that many years ago it caused similar symptoms in one of my barn cats. There are many types of worms that cats can get, they usually get them from eating mice, or raw meats (usually rodent, birds, or other things they catch and eat raw) Even if it hasn't eaten raw stuff, they can still get worms. You don't mention if it's an indoor cat, or an outdoor one. If you haven't given her worm medicine, or you can't afford a veterinarian, then read up the different boxes at the pet store, and talk to the personnel (they usually know what's safe for a cat that's nursing her kittens.) Sorry I can't help you more lol, but I do think that even if she's an inside cat, it sounds like worms to me. If you DO give her worm meds, make sure you wear gloves doing her litter box, and bag and dispose of the litter:-) Good luck! Keep us updated!