there is a siege around my region.

@jazel_juan (15767)
Yes a siege..MILF elements ( rebels ) verses the military..they have been fighting around the region. It is pretty scary because news said last night they are near the city now. I cannot say the exact reasons on why this has been happening such problem has been existing for years now! We are praying that this will end but i am also praying for long term solution..these people feel oppressed, like the government ignored them - part of it is true actually.. jobs here in my region is hard - very. But the military said, especially those where soldiers were killed also seeks justice... i do not know how our president will solve this which on my opinion he is slow..every day people are scared here as to what will happen.. and there is a need for action right away.
@Lhenni (1246)
Long way ago when the Moro Islamic Liberation Front or best known as MILF group was formed. They want to be an Independent Islamic State here in our country. That's what they are fighting for. But our government didn't grant their demmand for so many reasons. They sent military troops in the region instead to control the insurgency. On the contrary, The MILF group took their part in terrorist attacks and assassinations to achieve their goal. There's this time when our government offer a semi-autonomy in the region in dispute, but the MILF refused to accept and continued their insurgency operations. There had been a general cessation too of hostilities between the government and the MILF but for some reasons, the agreement was abolished by the Philippine Army under the administration of ex. president Joseph Estrada. In response, the MILF declared "JIHAD" (strived and struggled) against the government. And when the next president, Gloria Arroyo governed us, she entered into a cease-fire agreement and resume peace talks. But then, despite the peace negotiations and the cease-fire agreement, the MILF attacked the government troops in the region. Now that "Pnoy" is our president, peace talk continues. What's happening now in that region makes me sad too. Despite of the killing, I'm somewhat thankful that "Pnoy" didn't declare an all-out-war, instead an all-out-justice is what he aimed for. He just want a peaceful negotiation with the rebels. "Pnoy" don't want civillians to be at risk if a war is declared in the region. But of course, "Pnoy" didn't please all his countrymen declaring just an all-out-justice. Well, maybe he just want this to be end. It's been 5 decades now that our country is suffering such problem. But yes, it came to my mind and heart also the wants to have revenge to that rebels who ambush-killed many soldiers in the region and put many civillians to be in danger but questions arrises to me... What should it takes more to stop? Until when will this be ended?....... I wish, I hope, I pray... it's soon!
@Lhenni (1246)
Therefore, it's not a matter of "all-out-war" VS "all-out-justice"... It's a matter of killings that made you... and me... and maybe all Flilipinos feel sad about... Like you, I really don't know what it should takes more to stop! Blood? Life? Money? Pride? Dignity? ....... what else?..... War don't give us a winning shot! All will be a total disaster... a failure! I hope and pray to have peace in Mindanao!
@aerous (13474)
I think the President must show sympathy to those soldier. He is only the President that don't mind anything what happen to this country...disaster, killings and human right violations. The President still no comment on anything... The Soldier did not learn anything from their mistakes. Those things is repeatedly done to them but what happen. Those officers in the ground didn't consider the danger that gives by those MILF... There must be all out war with MILF because they never discipline their comrades and not control their commanders in the ground. They never think about those civilians being a victims of their atrocities...
@jazel_juan (15767)
The soldiers are learning aerous, but they could not act immediately without orders from their superiors..without the executive order of the President. I also believe there must be all out war too.. if that is the way to make it stop, then let it be.
@aerous (13474)
I think they are not learned, friend. Because those events is always repeatedly happen...those things was happen in the past and they know the consequences when they pursuit those criminals. But what happen to them...they all slaughtered like what happen to marines before If the military always study those facts and event in the military they can prevent those things to happen... The military must have f16 or cobra helicopter to response immediately and destroy those bandits in mindanao
@ybong007 (6659)
There forces that don't want peace in Mindanao. It appears that the government and the MILF are at a tug of war but I think there are other countries or high ranking people who have vested interest that are playing a role on why these atrocities are happening. It seems to me that those who were killed were given specific instructions to get into the camp of the MILF so spark a conflict, in short the were sent there to get butchered and the MILF took the bait. From what I heard, those who were killed are on scuba diving lessons, if that is the case then what was their business a few kilometers away from the sea? not unless there's a lake but certainly there's none. I heard that marines have test missions before they graduate and test missions means they'll attack an enemy camp as some sort of "baptism", if this is true then the higher ups must be stupid enough to underestimate the capability of the rebels because according to reports, the military is not aware that there are MILFs in that area. Which simply means that there's intel failure. If it's true that they were there to arrest a fugitive then why send a bunch of students who were there on schooling? The thing is we only hear one side of the story, or we choose what to believe and normally we took the government's alibi but it doesn't mean it's the truth. Let's not forget that the fighting in mindanao has been going on for ages, even way back from Magellan's time and it was never conquered. Past presidents have tried but never succeeded. The current president may be slow but I think when lives are at stake you have to be more cautious. He needs to try a different approach than his predecessors since doing the same only means failure.
@jazel_juan (15767)
True, this war started way back i was even born. True but then at times things can still come to an end and we are hoping it will ocme to an end. Like you we also believe that there are factors behind all these that these rebels might be funded by some group or even someone. They have high caliber rifles than our military!
@louievill (18123)
hope your family is safe and all the people in that province who has nothing to do will all this madness. I think for once let's trust our Government and give peace a chance but at the same time deliver swift justice to whom it is due. Yes peace to our brothers who want peace but serve justice to the rogue elements, I just wish there is no spilling over especially in the confusion that ensues during military operations, good luck and our prayers for all of you people out there.
@jazel_juan (15767)
Thank you for that my friend. Well, it is pretty scary thinking what will the results be.. and we do not know how these rebels think.. but still praying that the government will make the right decision.
• Marion, Kansas
That is very sad that your area has to live in fear. We always look to our leaders expecting them to solve problems and they are not always able to do so. I wish you and your people well.
@jazel_juan (15767)
Thanks GG. It is still the same here but am praying it will change for the best.
@writersedge (22579)
I will pray for you and your people. It does sound very scary. I hope it will end and I hope for the best solutions possible.
@jazel_juan (15767)
Thank you for the prayers my friend. It is scary thinking there might be a bomb lying some where. Just the day before, a bomb was found in the market place and glad it did not explode. it is scary.
@m4ndr4ke (219)
This war will not end. The MILF just want one thing and that is to create a new Islamic country and I am sure the Philippine government will not give Mindanao to them. So I think the only real option is to destroy the MILF. Be careful in there.
@jazel_juan (15767)
yes that is what they want to get their "ancestral domain" but i believe all of these belongs to all the Filipino people.
@gloryacam (5546)
I hope you and your loved ones are alright there. You're right, what is needed is a long-term solution, although, that's one that is really hard to come up with. This is one conflict in our country that cannot be resolved without causing pain to either parties. It saddens me that one small nation can be so divided. Let's all hope and pray for that time to come when peace finally comes to all.
@jazel_juan (15767)
We are alright glory, thank you. Well there are still random bombing outside the main city but i hope it will stop..it is pretty scary and we stopped traveling because of that.
@janevi (889)
seige, war, these can make a certain place poor. These will not attract investors to put up business and as a result there would be no employment opportunities. I think making your place a livable and peaceful one, does not only rely on the president. Of course there are issues that needs to be addressed by the government but these has to be clear and negotiated formally and with certain agreements that are beneficial to both parties. Negotiation process depends on the readiness of the parties involved. Maybe your local government unit head need to initiate the negotiation with the rebels first before the national government can step in. Because it is the local government who knew exactly what are the clamors of these rebels. OF course, you not not in the position to do that also. What you and i can do is just to pray that no more blood shed will happen while they are negotiating. Have faith jazel.God bless