My fear of dogs

I have always been a little nervous of dogs. I don't even know why. As a young child I used to let my mum's friend's rottweiler sit on me and eat from my plate. My first boyfriend had 3 big dogs who I grew to love. My best male friend has a huge mongrel dog which after some tentative meetings I made a connection with. But strange dogs, I have a real problem. My kids always want to pet any dog they see. I see a dog and think it wants to bite me. I am trying so hard not to be afraid. As I am not working right now, I have been researching voluntary work, and I am seriously considering working in a dog shelter. I think this will help me overcome my fear and help the charity at the same time.
K9 body language is possibly the easiest thing in the world to read, so it always bewilders me to find people who have never had a bad experience with dogs who are afraid of them. The only dog to ever bite me was a dachsund, which was hardly terrifying. If the dog's ears up up and its tail is wagging and its hackles are flat, it is being friendly, even if it is barking. If we could understand dog it would probably be saying "HI" to us. Now if we were critters like chickens it might be another story. Our smaller dog (the big one ignores them) likes to run at the chickens when they come to the gate (she can't get at them) and put the fear of Dog into them. Dogs are beautiful. Lash
I think its just that I know any animal can turn if its not comfortable. I have 3 cats but I am comfortable with cats becase if they attack, the most they can give you is a nasty scratch. Dogs can take a finger or a hand off depending on their size.
@jtj_hello (627)
I also have the same problem. I think it is normal to be scared of dogs specially those that are stray or not yours or not by someone you know. Dogs by nature are very loving. They like to be with their masters but unfortunately if you are not their master, they have the animal insticnt to defend their selves if they see you as a threat. Just passby and don't make any gesture that would make them attack you. It's actually nice that there 's a dog shelter near your place. I seriously would love to work in a dog shelter aswell or adopt a dog since i alreay have shih tzu.
@Lore2009 (7389)
Maybe you had a bad experience with them when you were younger but have erased it from your memory? I was always a dog lover and still am but I've become careful ever since I've been bitten by one. As much as most dogs are sweet, some could have been raised differently and it's a good idea to be careful.
@rameshchow (5284)
In my village there are around 50+ village dogs which are having no boss, no injection. If they will bite, then its become so harm. It's a village, the situation is like this only.
@bird123 (10346)
OK, dogs. Do you know that the dogs are afraid of you too??? Let me let you in on a little secret. Most dogs will be nice if they do not fear you. THe solution is to talk baby talk to them. Come here little puppy doggy. I have found the bigger the dog that the more likely they will respond. Dogs understand love and want it as much as people. Does it work on all dogs?? I'm afraid not. Never ever run from a dog, back away slowly. Further, if there are many dogs, you need to keep your back to a wall. They will sneak up behind you. Carry the very largest umbrella you can find. To a dog, a large umbrella openning in their face is something to back away from. As they back up, you back away. Finally, there is the highly trained dog like a police dog. These dogs are very dangerous and will not stop even if they get hurt. There is ususlly a policeman nearby. Follow instructions. If it is a trained dog and not a police dog, get away using everything you can. This dog will hurt you don't be afraid to do whatever you can to get away. Of course the trained dog that is not a police dog is extremely rare. In conclusion, baby talk and that unbrella should allow you to handle 99.9% of all dogs.
You're doing the right thing, marianne. Working in a dog shelter would be a good way to help you overcome your fear. Helping charity is a noble goal, as well. You'd be killing two birds with one stone. Congratulations, great move! Personally, I love dogs and I think dogs are the most loyal friends. They never bite the hand that feeds them. Dogs are very perceptive,too. They know whether or not a person is a dog lover. Dogs bark, that's how they express themselves because they can't talk. Barking can be a sign of welcome or a way of announcing that they are around, guarding their master's domain. Some people are afraid of that and they run. But, the more you run, the more they run after you. If you walk and simply pass by, they just look at you and do nothing. Of course, dogs bite, but only when they think that someone is going to hurt them. I hope that you find the right place to do volunteer work and enjoy it. Have a great day, marianne.
@eljayo (1107)
Hi! Some dogs can really be scary. I know a lot of people who have the same fear,some have really bad experiences with dogs while others have none. I think its a matter of mind of matter. Phobias can be overcome. I hope you will be able to.Good luck
@samafayla33 (1857)
My dad's friend had two dogs a rotweiller and a doberman, they were sweet but they got into a fight one day and i didn't like it. My two dogs are mutts, one's chow and german shepard and the other is german shepard and siberian husky i am not fearful anymore because these two dogs are nice and get along.
@jaiho2009 (39079)
We have dogs as pets but I am afraid of other dogs. Whenever I go to other houses with dogs I fear of those ones. I don't know but I have this fear with other dogs thu we have dogs at home. Try to have a cute puppy as pet and it will help you overcome your fear as well.
I am a little nervous around dogs too. I get nervous especially when they bark at me. I'm afraid that they would bite me when they reach me. I try to control myself so that I wouldn't run away. It's because I don't understand them very well. I don't know if they're angry or they're just happy to see me. Despite my fear, I love dogs. I am trying to overcome my little fear. I think it's really a great idea if you volunteer in a dog shelter. Based on your post, I could see that you also love dogs. That is why it matters to you to overcome this fear. I hope you'll have positive experiences in the shelter. Not only will it help you with you fear, you also help the poor animals. Good luck!
Yeah this is the correct decision which makes you to overcome the fear of dogs and also helps the charity. Then you can bring a new dog to your home for your children. This also helps you to know more about dogs and hope you will share your experience with dogs to mylotters..
It is very nice of you to think of doing a voluntary work. I think most dogs are good and they just bark when they feel nervous. Especially when a stranger enters to their zone, then the dogs will bark. It is very interesting that it seems dogs can understand you. As one day I had an experience and I tried to tell the dogs I was just a pass-by and I came in peace. Then the dogs stopped barking and let me pass:) I love China
@maharlikah (1045)
Dogs are mans best friend according to many but our dog is not my best friend...even if our dog guards our house I am still not close to him. ;-)
@kingparker (9698)
Hey, you are not the only one who fears dog. I am too. My cousin has this dog which it always howling at me when I come to her house, and I won't never dare to go to the backyard to play with it. It look furious, and not friendly. Even at the road, I saw those dogs, I trying to keep away myself from them. I just afraid they will bite.
@greenline (14865)
Hello Marianne. Nice to see you. How are you ? I also have afraid of dogs, and always stay away from them. That all started from a dogbite I had some years ago, and I had to have vaccination for that. Since that I had been very careful with dogs. I never go close to them or let them come close to me.