Why Do We Not Appreciate How We Look

@Mashnn (4503)
I have always been bothered by the extend to which people can go especially women to transform themselves. I have a friend of mine who currently looks like a ghost due to too much whitening. Sorry, friend but I am bothered by the way you look. I tried to talk to her about it when she was starting to use but she didn't listen to me. I really pity her because I think it is something to do with self esteem or what do you think.
@stanley777 (7175)
I think one reason is how the media portrays how beautiful women looks like. White, petite, long, straight hair..etc.. And since people see those "perfect" people who are also edited in the computer anyway, they long to look lie that- to look better and better.
Well said; the media has a strong influence on people.The media and the society defines what beautiful is and people are blindly following the trend.Some even ends up in surgery just for the sake of beauty.Well, I think we don't really need to look like everybody else to be beautiful.Everyone has it's unique characteristics that makes her beautiful.
@Mashnn (4503)
Let all be ourselves. Myself I care less of that figure you may call beautiful in the TV, I think I see beauty opposite to what other people see. I learned to love natural beauty. That is my tick.
I think so too. Maybe they are not satisfied or contented with how they look, that's why they want to apply many things for their bodies. Some really feel insecure with other people. They keep on comparing themselves with others which is really wrong. We should be satisfied with what we are and what we have.
@Mashnn (4503)
That might be true. That is why I said it has something to do with self esteem. Let all advise such before to consult medical help.
@rameshchow (5284)
It better to raise their positive points only, if we say their negative points, anyone can easily upset. Of course, there will be a time comes to indicate their negatives.
@Mashnn (4503)
Let us intervene and let them understand that they are beautiful with the natural skin. By this we will be doing something great for them.
@lady1993 (16391)
I think it is because of the standards of beauty people have these days.. Mostly, the definition of beautiful is a person who is fair skinned and tall and slim- which many people aren't. We usually see beautiful people in commercials, and since we see that they are better looking than us, we try to change ourselves to look like them.
@Mashnn (4503)
That is the definition of beauty to a few people outside there but not to me. This is what we need to work on to change the minds of such people. The media really has contributed to this mess I think.
@aquacan (216)
Good day, Mashnn. This is really an interesting topic (especially for girls)to talk about. It seems that some girls are never satisfied with how they look. So they turn to make-ups, whitening products, or even plastic surgeries to make themselves look better. Well, I can't find any fault if they want to do so. Because everyone has the right to pursue a more pleasant appearance, which could possibly help them make more friends and more welcomed by others. But if they are too obsessed with the appearance, problems could arise too. I should say looking like a ghost will not make your friend pretty at all(forgive my offense). Actually, people know what kind of person your are by talking to you and getting along with you, not the way you look like. So I think we don't need to worry too much about our appearance. Just feel content.^_^
@Mashnn (4503)
But don't you think we should teach them to embrace the beauty that God gave to them. Let no one lie to you that the whitening cream has no negative effect on someone, it is a cream that is absorbed through the skin by the body and surely speaking, I don't think it is safe. Imagine something that goes inside your blood and changes your complexion. surely, it has effect on your body at long last.
Because... we are so distracted on how other people look we then become vain and bothered on how people will react on how we look, as a result we over accessorize our self and ending looking weird. Hey this world wouldnt be colorful without the natural looking people =).
@Mashnn (4503)
That true but I also think most of them have a problem with self esteem. Seriously, they need consultation. I don't understand why use whitening to your skin.
• Bangladesh
I saw many people are doing this.Even my younger sister used to do it.But I told her not to do this as you look so pretty if you dont do this.What ever you got from is the real beauty and try to keep it.It works and I like her face.Its not about face,its about mind and good mentality that makes you beautiful. Cheers
@Mashnn (4503)
That good. It always good to give wonderful advice to our children nowadays or else the influence outside there will mess up with them.
I totally agree with your post. Not many people stop to just be thankful for what they have. I have extremely pale skin and I'm part Spaniard, so I used to be sort of ashamed of it since I was so white compared to a lot of people on my mom's side. I would hide it by trying to tan (which I can't no matter how hard I try), and I'd event try spray tans. It wasn't worth it. Now I'm confident in my pale skin. In fact, when I go on dates, that's the first thing people notice...And to think I was so ashamed of it. Same with dark skin or no matter what skin type or body type you are...There's always someone out there who finds it beautiful.
@Mashnn (4503)
That good to hear someone out there embracing the way you look. It is good to find comfort in ones skin, no matter what it look. Iam also really proud of who Iam.
My daughter's cousin was very dark skinned. Her child's father were very light. she had a child and the child was very light skinned. She bleached her skin to look like her daughter. it was terrible to see her after a few years of bleaching.
@Mashnn (4503)
Oh that is even terribe to do to a child. The long term effect it may have on the child is undeniable. Hope that she should overcome all that when she grow up.
@deliar (609)
yes, i also have friend that using to much make up toi changer herself. but i think, she is too much using make up,and make it looks like a circus player. luckly, she want hear me at all. i think we have to appreciate how we look,especially in public place. i think natural is good looking for every one. without too much changing ourselves.
@Mashnn (4503)
If she can't hear you, leave her alone, soon or later she will realize her skin in no more.
mashnn yes really I mean brown skinned people have eyes and hair that fit that skin and they look great so why upset the way you are made because someone thinks you have to have white skin, I am a Caucasian so am normally white skinned but due to anemia a little too white. but my hair and eyes go with my skin tone. black , brown, red , yellow our skin tones belong to our races and why deny them. we are all children of God and we are all fine with what we have.Be proud of your race and your coloring.
@Mashnn (4503)
I also don't understand. It is confusing to me.