HELP! Triangle cuts from a square template..

@coffeebreak (17820)
Click on this link and then scroll down to the Chevron Table Runner. http://www.kayewood.com/blog/freebies/free-patterns That is what I am trying to make. However...I can't afford that $25 template that they show here. I can make the first straight cut to make an even edge to start....but how do I make that angle cut using a square template to make a triangle? I can put the cross hairs of my template to the corner and there is a line on the template where I SHOULD make the cut...but it is in the middle of the template so I can't cut it. Please give me suggestions on how to make these cuts to create the triangles needed to put together these blocks! Thanks!
@owlwings (39236)
• Cambridge, England
$25 seems an awful lot for what appears to be just a 45° plastic triangle! You can easily make your own out of a sheet of stiff cardboard. Take a sheet of cardboard which is larger than the width of the strips you have to cut. If you can be certain that at least one corner of it is a right angle, measure an equal distance from that corner along each edge. Join the two points with a line and cut the cardboard along it (preferably with a straight edge and a craft knife). This will give you the 45° angle you require and you can simply place the triangle on the fabric, as shown in the diagram, mark the fabric for cutting by using tailor's chalk or a soft black pencil (one which will wash out) and then piece together the triangles you have cut out. I must say that I was intrigued by the ingenious design and the way that the patterns are formed just from a straight strip of six fabrics!
@owlwings (39236)
• Cambridge, England
I don't do quilting myself but I have seen many people do it and most of them use very simple paper shapes (cut out of a good quality Kraft or cartridge paper) as patterns. All of the shapes can usually be very simply made with a ruler and compasses.
@coffeebreak (17820)
Thanks Owlwings...it is a really interesting pattern, isn't it! That is why I chose it...I can use any color for any holiday...but the same pattern. Do you know how I would know how big to make the triangle template so that they are all cut properly so that they will fit together properly once the block is cut into the four triangles? This is important as if they are not "even" the fabric strip areas won't fit together right and that neat connection of a square won't be made.
@owlwings (39236)
• Cambridge, England
Once you have made your strip of the six fabrics, the two shorter, equal sides of the triangle should be longer than the width of your strip. It doesn't matter how much bigger it is. All you need is for the long side of the triangle (the diagonal or hypotenuse, to give it its proper name) to cover the whole strip. You should see what I mean if you look at the downloaded PDF, where the (very expensive) plastic template is marked in black outline. Theirs seems to have a hole in the middle but this isn't necessary. You can actually cut your little triangles quite accurately without a template at all. Make sure that the left edge of your strip is exactly at right angles to the top and bottom edges and, taking the bottom left corner of your strip, fold it upwards so it touches the top edge. Cutting the strip along the vertical edge of the folded piece will give you a square of fabric. Cutting that square from corner to corner will divide each into four small triangles. Repeat for however many small triangles you need. Make sure that you put each into piles marked 'a', 'b', 'c', 'd' and then follow the order as given on the sheet. You can actually make the runner as long or as short as you like because the pattern repeats for as many times as you want it to.
@rameshchow (5284)
I agree with the above answer. twenty five dollars is a big amount for it. Keep posting like this interesting stuff. We will try to do our level best.
@coffeebreak (17820)
Thanks. I have gotten so many answers for so many things here on MyLot! I want to do this right and the way the pattern evolves to..it has to be done exactly right, cuts and all! But still...I am not made of money and $25 for a template that I might just use once? Can't do it. I did buy a package that had 4 different size squares in it...at the craft store with a 50% off coupon and I use those on (so far) every quilt I have made (so far....2) and I also use the one to cut bias tape so those I use alot, but this one...I am not really into triangles to use it that way, but the way this one is cut to make the layered square blocks..very interesting. But being in crafts for all my life...I know there is usualy a cheaper way to do things than how the pattern states!
This is a very intriguing table runner. I love it. I have not done any of this type of piecing, yet, but my guess is that if you go to the library and look at quilt books you will find one with a pattern for a template. Cut your template of cardboard but put sand paper on on the card board so it does not slide when you are cutting with it. It may just be that these things are slipping on you a little bit. I did not read the instructions thoroughly, but you can bet I will print it out. My thought was to take your square template and make a cardboard piece. Then cut it diagonally corner to corner. You then have two halves. Cut one of those from the peak to the base and you have a cardboard template for the smaller size. I could be wrong, of course. Again, use the sandpaper treatment. Are you cutting with rotary cutter or scissors?
@coffeebreak (17820)
Definately a rotary cutter...just learned about them this time in m quilting. Years ago....I used, scissors, chalk and a ruler to make my blocks! The cutter is quicker, easier and so much more accurate! A blessing to all quilters! Yeah, I'll just have to finangle it somehow. I just get disgusted when things aren't as easy as instructions insinuate that they are! I get all reeved up to make something and then bam! Not as they say...exactly!