I now know why our new roommate chose our place instead of another one.

It's only been a day since our new roommate moved in, but he's opened up as to why he chose to move here with his dog. It doesn't surprise me either. His dog Sabre, she's a rescue, she was abused when she was younger. It takes her a while to get used to people. But tonight, as I sat on the floor with Jazz, she came up and sniffed me. Then she licked my face. When I was sitting on the couch looking at stuff online with my roommate, he moved a little bit and she came up to me again. I started to rub her head. He told me to rub her chest, and that was it. He told me she would never leave me. She was used to me. I was amazed when that happened, and I knew that she would be fine with me from now on. Being a quiet person, that's what she likes. It will take her longer to get used to my husband though, he's a chatterbox and is scary to most animals anyways. We went to let both dogs out in the yard and we got to talking while Sabre tried to get Jazz to play with her. He didn't want to play though, he was too tired. But my roommate, after I told him that I could tell that Sabre was happy here, he told me why he moved here. He said it was because of the yard. Where he lived before, there was no yard and no safe place to walk his dog, since the area was more industrial than anything. He liked having a large fenced yard for her. Sabre is young, only a year and a half old, and has far too much energy. She needs a place to run around and blow off steam and all of that energy. My roommate doesn't even mind that my husband natters on and on. He said his foster brother was the same way, so he's used to it. I think this is going to work out better than we had hoped it would. This guy is far more respectful of us and our pets than the others we've had here in the past. Even Fluffy is ok with Sabre for the most part, but does get scared when she runs by, which she does often. It was funny earlier. My downstairs roommate's brother was here visiting. He came up and found one of the rawhide bones we have for Jazz. He cut it open and Jazz went crazy over it. But it was later where it got funny. Sabre was running around the living room when she spotted a chunk of the bone and grabbed it. Her owner told her to put it down. I said it wasn't a problem, I had other bones, and I gave her one of the other ones that was sitting on the floor. That's when she first started to get used to me and understand that I wasn't going to hurt her. I'm glad that they're both happy here, they both have found a place that works, and that's what's important to all of us. I can't wait until I can start to take Sabre out for walks, it's going to be good.
hi kris it sounds like Sabre is really getting to like you. You have a new dog friend now. I am glad the new roommate is so likeable as that makes a big difference from before.It awful when you get a roommate who is awful in all ways like you had before. Hope things just get better and better for you , your husband and the new roommate.
I'm sure it will, I have good vibes about this one. Unlike the others, he just has far more respect for us. He's watching tv in his room right now, but he's not blasting it, unlike the other 2 used to do. That was so annoying. And he doesn't come out and bug me every 5 minutes like the last one did. That is such a pleasant change. The entire atmosphere in our place has changed since he got here yesterday and it's a positive change.
• Marion, Kansas
I bet you guys are a breath of fresh air to him as well. It seems this is more of a friendship than just a renter.
@daeckardt (6245)
I'm so glad that you have a roommate situation that works! It sounds like the dog is happy and your roommate is too. I can understand the desire to have a large back yard. Has the mud you mentioned in another post gotten any better? I hope so because mud is no fun when trying to keep a house clean. Have a great weekend!!!
@winterose (39922)
that is wonderful that she is doing so well
I hope it all stays like this for you. This is wonderful to read. I could not live with the dogs being I am a scary cat of dogs.
• Marion, Kansas
I think he is pretty good if he is that concerned about his rescued dog. I hope it is going to be a long term relationship.