fb can detect where you are

One of my friends who went on a vacation abroad, opened her FB there. But she had a hard time opening it, and in fact blocked from opening it. But the next day as she travelled to another place, when she opened it again, FB informed him that somebody is opening it on a place , where it was shown on a map. Then was asked if she would continue with opening it and she clicked yes and it opened. At least FB makes a security move to all FB users.
@ravisivan (14051)
for me i have not faced any problem in opening facebook here in india and abroad. of course if there are some measures like that it is good.
So where did you first register your FB, was it in India or abroad?
@ravisivan (14051)
i registered FB while staying in chennai. I was using it in usa in indiana and also detroit. infact my wife was also using her fb in both these places though she got enrolled while staying in chennai. now we are in chennai.
Hmm, that's weird. Why does my friend experienced that, when in fact you said, you and your friend don't experience that, despite change of places.
@yspmyl (3438)
I think what FB did is they recording your IP when you open you account with them, and from there, it will be able to know where you come from and once your account being login from somewhere else, you will be ask to give some information to verify that you are the owner of the account. At least the FB have done some basic security so far to protect us. That is something great.
Yes, i think they base it from the IP address we had with them when we first register. So any change of location, specially when it's from one country to another would be a cause for suspicion on their part. Nice!
It's really a praiseworthy effort from FB's side to care about people's privacy. I think we need our account to be protected at any cost and this effort from FB will earn respect for FB from users.
That's true! That's why we should be thankful that at least FB cares for all of us too!
@jazel_juan (15767)
I guess because i did receive a message similar to that, i logged in to my fb using my phone and the next day i logged in using the laptop then i got this security message asking if it was really me because a suspicious log in happened the day before and that was me using the phone.. it is a good way, atleast they value each security
So, it really happens also when you change from one means to another when using FB. I thought it was only if you change location of where you opened it. Amazing indeed!
@faisai (1140)
I am never a fan of facebook and for me, the way security works is to make it unnecessary. I simply don't put much of my information to facebook and try to make it a tool rather than my life so that I am not relying on facebook. If I do want to let somebody know of myself, I would rather send them an email, make a phone call or invite them our for a chat.
I am like you my friend, so i use a user name not my real name. I want privacy so my FB is so private, only my daughter and a few relatives knows. I just use it to view whatever pictures that need to be seen that they have posted , comment one or two.
@humaira12 (149)
FB is many social networking users. so we be must careful to find a suitable account of FB is very easy in fact, only if he know his email adress can be searched for. beware :-)
That's why i had my FB account linked with a new email address.
@enelym001 (8333)
Yes I am usually asked by FB to add what or which device I am using, I can't remember what is says actually... but I normally put Home laptop on it and it will added to their system. And once I opened my email there's a notification about this. Although it is not usually correct as they have indicated it as Manila as what I inputted in my profile when in fact I'm from one of the province 2 hours away from Manila.
When we register at FB, it seems that we are tracked according to our IP address, enelym. Thus, a move from another internet provider, like a WIFI in a mall, would be detected and get suspicion of another person trying to open our FB. Such , is how high tech, FB could be. Simply amazing!
@chiyosan (29388)
uhmm yeah, i think i saw this feature when i was checking my fb site last weekend. I saw there are a lot of stuffs and privacy issues, etc and well.. i saw that all my log ins to fb are tracked and it showed me where i last opened my account. i think it is because they can trace it back to the IP address you are using. well that should not be a problem. my issue would be that fb is actually saving all this information. it can be used in the future, actually!
Well, that's a nice feature of FB. Although, one can always use other server or IP address , specially if she's a traveller. WIFIs abound so it could be used by anybody. Does it mean that the IP address changes when one travels and uses other servers? I am not techie , so i am confused on these things.
@vexxus (706)
that's really great to know, I think FB doesn't allow they user to be SPAM from another place, so they added extra security to every account of their user.
It's so good indeed that they do that as an added security for FB users. At least, they help in preventing Spammers and hackers from doing their thing on our FB accounts.
It certainly is good that Fb is making an effort to make their patrons feel secured. Considering their popularity, they ought to do whatever it is to maintain good level of service to its members. Hurray to FB team!
That's correct Sophie! How i laughed , when my friend said they even showed a map like location of where she is that very time she tried opening her FB account.
This has happened to me a few times before. I'm really glad they do it just in case! I had an app on my old phone that was based out of Texas, but I live in Massachusetts. So whenever I signed in on my computer, it would make me verify that the sign in from Texas was really me. It would block me from that app sometimes, which sort of stunk...But at least we know we're secure!
Yes, at least we know that we are secured and that they are monitoring if somebody is trying to open your FB. And they really would block you from opening it , when you are detected to be in a place other than your usual place.
@stanley777 (7177)
Facebook is doing the right thing having thought of the security threats from computer savvy individuals who could harass it's users or steal information from it's members.Being famous would mean more members so I guess we should thank them for making the effort. Although I have not experienced any problem with my account even if I logged in another IP or place. Thanks for the effort FB.
At least we know that FB is doing a security protection to our FB accounts.
Yes, I hope other sites will follow too especially those whose members have earnings on their accounts.
well, i hope they do that too, to those sites where we get to earn too, like Mylot.
@thatgirl13 (7307)
• South Korea
Actually the same happened to my friend too. He has gone abroad for studies and when he tried to open it from there, they said it was from a strange location and just blocked his facebook. He had to make a new one but after few days the other one was unblocked too. For me that's a bit too creepy on facebook's side
Ha? Is that so? So you mean to say, he wasn't informed that somebody is trying to open it in another location and if it is just okay with him?
• South Korea
Well he told me he tried to convince them that it was the same person. He was not ok with it! lol He made a new fb and we chatted and he sounded pretty pissed that he had to make a new one. But after a few days every thing was back to normal and now he has two fbs lol
Oh i see. I thought he was blocked forever in those two FBs of his.
@alberello (4756)
I do not think for now you can locate a computer that open up their FB account, unless it is a fixed connection with the same IP address. I am however informed that the social networks have recently been made new changes, especially related to safety.
Yes, actually it's the change in IP address. Since my friend went to a different country , she used another IP , so it caused suspicion on the part of FB. Hence the blocking .
This is the biggest issue on using facebook. The security issue still controversial. I have seen a news segment about this, Facebook can monitor your internet activities and they knew what are your activities behind facebook. Facebook certainly knew where's your location, your activities online.
So you mean to say, FB can also know what are your other online activities? Amazing if that is so? But isn't that invasion of one's privacy?
I h ave a FB account to but never get to travel anywhere. I think that they do have some security on Face Book so they will check to see if its really you. this feature will not affect me one way or the other as I am too handicapped to do long distance traveling. but it is good that they have that feature for you.
At least Hatley , when FB sends you a notice like that, you are sure that somebody is really opening your account from another place.