Did I do something wrong???

I just came into my room to let my two mice have some play time out of their cage, and I found one of my mice dead. I feel so bad that she was alone (I lost another one less than a year ago and I was holding her) and I can't help and feel that I should have come up sooner. Anyways, know I'm wondering if I did something wrong, because this mouse was the youngest one. I realized that instead of buying them the Tropical Carnival Mouse/Rat food I bought the Tropical Carnival Hamster/Gerbil food. Does anyone know if that could have killed her? Is there something hamsters/gerbils can eat that mice can't? I've tried reseacrhing it, and the little bit of info I found said there isn't a whole lot that is toxic to mice... She wasn't stuck in any of her toys, she was laying next to her chewing log, so it wasn't because of anything like that in their cage. I know mice don't live long, but I got this mouse when she was a baby, less than 2 years ago. I am just baffled and upset, was not expecting this!
@thezone (9451)
I keep Mice when I was younger. I am not an expert but I doubt if the food was the problem. Field mice and such survive and they have an instinct about what they can eat, like most creatures they have a second sense. So do not feel bad
Yeah that's a good point about the food. I always grew up with rodents (rats, hamsters) I actually don't remember ever having mice before. And I hand't really planned on getting them, but when an opporunity presented itself to save some from ending up as food, I took it! lol. I saved 7 in all, I took 3, my friend took 4. Now that I've had them again (after probably 10 years of not owning small mammals) I remember how fun they were, easy to take care of and fun to watch them play! I probably might keep rescuing a small mammal, having at least 1 at a time. And on a side note, my remaining mouse just got her tail hit by my laptop's fan!!! Poor thing got a piece of rice chex for her horrible ordeal! lol
@thezone (9451)
I have not kept mice since I was a kid but they are lovable. That mouse of your might have seen the fan as a treadmill lol.
Lol I don't think that was the case. I had my laptop on my lap (...) and I didn't know she went underneath it! All of a sudden I hear the fan skip (and I knew what that sound means because I always accidently put my finger in the fan-it hurts! lol). So I knew right away what happened. She came running out from underneath my computer in a panic! I felt so bad! lol But thankfully it wasn't too bad, just a little skin off the top
@carmelanirel (20979)
Oh I am so sorry Lily..If I were on speaking terms with my nephew, I could ask him. Maybe talk to your vet or call the zoo you worked for and see what they say.
Thank you carmela. I'm sorry you and your nephew aren't speaking right now. I thought I might ask an associate at PetSmart next time I go in.
@WakeUpKitty (8707)
• Netherlands
Mice don't get old so I don't know how old your mouse was? It's normal for rodents to die early that is the reason why they get soooo many kids.
• Netherlands
Just read it was nearly 2 years old, so that is old for a mice. You did not do anything wrong. BTW with mice it's the same as with other animals and human beings, some are getting older as others.
I thought mice lived to be 2-5 years, so I thought she was still young. But I went and looked it up, 1.5-2 years, sometimes 3 is what one site said. So I guess she was old for a mouse. But now I'm worried about my last remaining mouse, they're social animals and I'm worried she's going to be lonely.
@kingparker (9698)
I advice to you, you can't bring it back to life anyway, why not let it go, and let go of your misery all together. You can do some research on the library about how to raise a hamster or mouse. Or get one of those dummy books from the bookstore. You can get another mouse or hamster, and be your pet again. Good luck next time.
I know pretty much all I need to about mice, it's just this one food issue, the hamster and mice food have very similar packaging, that's why I didn't realize I bought the wrong food. I would like to get another mouse so my last remaining one isn't lonely (they are social animals and like having at least 1 other with them) but it isn't my choice right now, and I can't get another.