Rick Perry And The Republicans

Well, from what I am hearing on the news and talk shows, Rick Perry really botched the debate. It sounds like he made a real fool of himself. How embarrassing! I am neither a Republican nor Democrat. I am an Independent Independent and I vote both for Democrats as well as Republicans. The Republicans are their own worst enemy. They have a great opportunity to take the White House back because so many voters are unhappy with Obama. Some of the candidates looked so good in the beginning and now almost all of them look so bad. Romney has a lot of potential in my opinion. But I do not think that the voters will go for a Mormon.
@stary1 (6622)
bostonphil I am not sure who I will vote for yet but I think mistakes like this can show the character of a person in how they handle it. Obviously Perry is not the smooth talker that Romney is or Newt is..both of them have a lot more experience in public debating in politics.
Well, Perry has a good attitude about it. He is laughing at himself. This might work in has favor since I do poorly in public speaking. Maybe the voters will identify and empathize with him. Newt has a lot of bad skeletons in his closet. Did you know that when one of his wives was dying of cancer, he handed her divorce papers to signs that he could marry another woman. This happened when she was in a hospital bed. Shades of John Edwards!
@stary1 (6622)
bostonphil Newt mentioned the rumor about his wife and said it simply was not true..I have heard this smear for years and do not know the truth about it...of course if true it would be devastating..but as ugly as politics are it might just be a smear.
@bagarad (7844)
• Paso Robles, California
bostonphil, Newt's daughter has said that rumor is not true. His wife was not on her deathbed, either, and is still alive. I don't admire him for what he did in divorcing her, but morally I think he's certainly no worse than Bill Clinton. There are a lot of presidents who cheated on their wives while in office, but in those days the press just kept pretty quiet about it. I would, of course, prefer someone with a record of loyalty to his wife and family, and Cain appears to have that. I am not going to believe people who have no credibility. Most companies will settle any suit they can out of court because fighting something in court is much more expensive that settling out of court. Companies will do this to save money, and people who bring these suits know that they will probably never have to prove their case for this reason. I imagine if Cain had ever dreamed he might someday run for president, he would have insisted on this going to court so he could prove his innocence. Right now, until I see some real evidence, I think Cain is more credible than his accusers.
@laglen (19783)
Perry did botch it a bit, he forgot some of his talking points. But if you watch it, you would see a much better debate than has been shown lately. No mudslinging, this is my biggest pet peeve. But rather than slingin mud, they actually kept complimenting each other and contrasting other candidates plans with their own. I would recommend watching it.
One news commentator said that she thought Rick Perry was doing really well in the debate until his blunder. I guess he had a senior moment. Is that what happened to him? He forgot what he was going to say or he forgot the name of an agency? Most of the analysts seem to feel that Perry is finished as far as his run for the Presidency. Of course, time will tell. He is very popular in Texas and he looked so good in the beginning. But now, he is looking very bad. I, also, hate the mud slinging and name calling. It is so cheap and non productive.
@laglen (19783)
He actually plum forgot the name of the Department of Energy then he forgot the names again! Otherwise he did better than previous debates.
If which federal agency you intend to abolish if elected is a mere talking point, then you have far bigger problems than forgetting which federal agency you intend to abolish. How much is W paying Perry to get us all to remember W as "The smart one?"
@Netsbridge (3243)
What else can I say? Last week I told fellow Texans we had better pull Rick Perry out. My governor is not a debater (though I did not know of his memory lapses) and for years avoided all debates in Texas. I think governor Rick Perry just cannot function under pressure. I do not understand why he was allowed to continue after the Las Vegas brawl with Mitt Romney - http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/2591361.aspx?p=1#2_22947575 If I were Rick Perry or a member of his wagon, I would advocate that all monies raised for his presidential bid be invested in worthy nationwide community services. Rick Perry is under too much pressure than he can bear. You tried, governor Rick Perry; and there is nothing wrong with trying. As a matter of fact, it is always good to try and fail than never trying at all.
I live in Austin. I am neutral about Perry but I was not expecting him to do so poorly in the debates. I feel embarrassed for him. He has said many insane things as governor which have mostly amused me. I think that he may be a genuinely nice guy. I do not know what his problem is or was during the debates but he did not make Texas look to good to the world.
I agree that anyone under pressure can say the wrong thing but Perry still came across looking bad. And there are two women accusing Cain who do look suspicious themselves. I am talking about the two recent ones, especially the last one. But there was a settlement years ago with women who had worked with Cain. Why a settlement if there was no truth to the accusations? And I agree that the media, which is mostly liberal, looks the other way when liberals act badly such as Fast and Furious which I still do not know enough about. I am going to have to research it.
@bobmnu (8160)
How short memories are. The media is having fun with the Republicans but they seem very forgiving of the Democrats flubs up. There was the 57 state comment, for which the media offered more excused than Senator Obama,; there was Senator Biden "stand up Charlie" and Charlie was in a wheel chair; lest we for get the "clean, articulate young black for which the media gave very little play but when President Bush shad he was a very articulate man he was called a racist. Gov. Perry has said from the beginning that he was not a debater. President Reagan was criticized for using note cards when he gave a speech but President Obama is considered a great speaker even though he can't give a speech with out a teleprompter and then even flubs it up. Instead of looking at the times someone makes a mistake lets look at what they are saying and at their record.
@bagarad (7844)
• Paso Robles, California
What a novel idea! I wish people would try it.
The mainstream media is liberal and Democratic. They treat Democrats kinder and gentler than Republicans and conservatives. They cover up for liberals and they pounce on conservatives.
Being a good leader does not depend on his religious affiliation but on his principles, honesty and integrity...
Agreed but there are many voters who feel differently. Religion does matter to these voters. They will vote or not vote on a candidate based on religion.
Rick Perry entered into the race late. Not only did he enter into the race late, but he entered into the race with a cocky attitude. I have missed the most recent debates, but I have watched a couple of them. Perry doesn't perform well, and he is sliding in the polls. I don't think he will be seen as a serious contender soon. Perry just seems to try to make Romney look bad. There's also rumors that he is the one who leaked the story of the allegations against Cain, who is another frontrunner in the election. I think that Ron Paul or Herman Cain would stand a good chance against Obama. I do agree that voters probably won't go for a Mormon. Jon Huntsman is also a Mormon; however, Jon Huntsman is wasting his time by running for president since he isn't scoring high enough in the polls. As of right now, the race is too close to tell, and things are constantly shifting.
I MIGHT consider voting for Romney. I say might because it is a little too early yet to make any decisions. I might still go Obama. Cain might be tainted by the allegations against him. There was a settlement so something must be true. I think that conservative and evangelistic Christians would be uncomfortable voting for a Mormon. They do not consider Mormons to be Christians. And then Mormons think they are the true believers and all the rest of us are gentiles. Religion, like politics, is so interesting.
@bagarad (7844)
• Paso Robles, California
I'm curious as to why you think all the other candidates (you've already given your reasons about Perry and Cain and Newt) look bad except Romney,
I think that Michelle B. is too right wing and conservative for me and possibly for most other voters. I have read some things about her and her husband that were too far out but I can not remember what I read. What other candidates are there? Huntsman. is that his name? I do not think that he has a chance. Besides Romney, it seems too me that the only other Republican candidates who ever looked good were Perry and Cain. Who do you like?
Michele intitially enjoyed some success, but now she has slidden in the polls. I believe that Michele is wasting her time by running. I've heard that she's also stated some wrong facts, which is unimpressive to voters. She said that Barack Obama had the lowest approval rating of any president in modern history. However, I don't think that this is the case. That's pretty bad if you aren't even sure of the candidate's name. I think that Perry is sliding in his popularity, too. I think that the majority of the candidates should drop out because they are wasting their time, effort, and money. I'd also like for the polls to be more accurate, which would occur if the number of candidates was reduced.
@bagarad (7844)
• Paso Robles, California
I like a lot of them, but haven't decided on which one I'm going to support yet. Wish I could make a collage of them with bits and pieces from many. I agree that Huntsman doesn't have a chance. Other candidates in last night's debate were the other Texan, Ron Paul, who seems to have a pretty vocal following and Rick Santorum from PA. The others have already been mentioned. dolphinlover, I wish you would be more specific with documentation for which facts Michelle is wrong about, and who had lower approval ratings than Obama. I don't pay a lot of attention to polls because they are usually biased toward one side or the other. The only poll that really counts is the election.
@xfahctor (14111)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Well, I guess that's what happens when you start stealing talking points from other candidates. This isn't even his original material, it's Ron Paul's. In fact, I noticed a trend of this with many candidates in the last few debates, it was more obvious than...well...something that is really obvious. Everything from "sound money" to "eliminate agencies" to "audit/end the FED"...all originally Ron Paul material. For a party that can't stand Ron Paul, they seem to be trying an awful lot to sound like him. Should be interesting in tonight's foreign policy debate to see how much they try to do this, considering NONE of them are even close to Dr. Paul's positions on foreign policy.
@xfahctor (14111)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
And on the Mormon issue. If anyone is going to base their vote on a candidate's religion, they should just pack up and move to a nation run under a theocracy, like Iran.
Perry has certainly turned his blooper around. He has been on Dave Letterman making fun of himself. Is Saturday Night Live the next stop? Perry has taken a lemon and made lemonade. There are a lot of middle aged and senior voters who do not remember like they once did. And those folks vote. Rick Perry might win the senior vote. Politics is very interesting and complicated. I observe from the outside looking in. Religion, is at least equally as complicated, if not more so.