Future of doctor-patient relation

The doctor patient relationship is deteriorating day by day due to lack of mutual understanding and faith in each other. The doctors should keep it in mind that they are paid for the services they render to the patients and so they should be faithful to their profession. Patients on the other hand should be aware that all diseases are not curable, some can only be controlled and there are some where the doctor has nothing to do except showing a sympathetic attitude. So this gradual deterioration in relationship between them is not desired at all? I think it is detrimental to the interests of both the doctor and the patient. Can you suggest some means to improve this strained relation between these two communities who are dependent on each other for their existence as well as survival? What in your opinion would be the ideal relation between the two communities that would help both of them?
I have not had any of this experience. The doctors I have had and have now are great. Depends on the doctor. Patients do have the right to go elsewhere if they feel they are not getting proper care. Patients need to be proactive, ask questions, and expect good counself from nurses and doctors. If not they should go elsewhere.
@bulastika (5967)
Me too. I think money is the question in here. Because if you really want to have professional doctor you need to have money. Cheap doctors sad to say are unprofessional. Now you will say why will go to costly doctors. Its because doctors also spend lots of money in studying and even go to conventions to always be updated with current medications and procedures and equipments.
@curmont (343)
It is very hard nowadays to find a doctor who gives his patients the time the require, It seems to me that the medical profession has become to much about making money and not enough about helping people. There have been several times that me or someone I know has visited a dr and comes prepared with a list of things they would like to ask them about and it seems as soon as the doctor enters the room he is gone, and you are still left with your list of unanswered questions. I think it will go a long way if doctors would simply show that they are invested in their patients health and that they are willing to take the time to make sure you understand what is going on with your body and answer any questions you may have instead of just ordering some tests or writing a prescription and then booking from the room as quickly as possible. I'm sure the doctors will not be making as much money with this approach but they would be contributing to the health and well being of their community and I would like to think this is the reason for becoming a doctor and not simply to try and get rich
Yes, your observation is 100% correct. None of the doctors have enough time to listen to the problems of the patients, rather they are more interested in prescribing different sophisticated investigations for the patients and never consider whether the patients can afford money to undergo those costly investigations.
@damned_dle (3944)
It really depends on the individuals. There are some doctors/patients who are getting along very well with each other. But, sometimes, doctors forget that they are being paid by patients and they would often times put blame on patients why they got sick. Patients go to doctors to get help, not to be blamed for the cause of their sickness. And sometimes, doctors would just prescribe medicines even if the patients doesn't really need them..
@bulastika (5967)
Doctors has personality also. Like for example we are family of patients. lols. Not doctors but family of patients. One of our doctor will say that we need to do this and if we question why or what is the reason our doctors feel that his actions are questioned. While our other doctor when we ask question he is happy to explained why. So I guess that's the problem in here. Doctor's personality.
@jalucia (1435)
I believe that the health insurance sector has a lot to do with the strain that some doctors feel in doing their job. But, what doctors need to keep in mind is that patients are not their insurance providers. I don't understand why some doctors are so selective and indifferent towards patients who carry certain types of insurance. The doctors battle is with the insurance company and the patient suffers. I understand that doctors want to get paid, and get paid right. But, you are doing a patient harm if you turn them away, or treat them as less, just because they carry a certain type of insurance. It all comes down to everyone having equal access to healthcare and the doctors play a role in achieving this goal.
@bulastika (5967)
I guess its the standard of the school in which those doctors graduate. I think in schools doctors are also to be teach right PR and professionalism. Because doctors are profession. Second I think its because of money. Right now every thing we do is about money. If you have money you can get good doctor. No money you get lousy doctor.
I think the biggest problem here in health care in the US is that they are treating health care as just another business. Companies are pushing doctors to perform faster. They also hire as few doctors as possible. They use other skilled professionals wherever legally possible. Nurses do much more now than I ever recall in my youth, physician's assistants can sometimes do everything but prescribe, and the doctors just pop in for a very few minutes to reinforce the diagnosis they've already figured from the data everyone else has collected. It's hard to give personal service when they don't allow you any time to really visit your patient.
@KrauseHome (34982)
Part of the problem is the lack of $$ that doctors are being offered anymore from Health insurance so the doctors have to see way more people in order to make what they used to be able to make, and then they are rushed to where they do not want to take the time to talk with each patient and work with them letting them know what is really wrong, or find out what is wrong so the patient feels the Best for sure. Too many times it is trial and error not taking time to listen to their patient so everyone feels at a loss for sure. Would be nice to get back to the good ole days of caring and taking more time for sure.
I honestly think that one of the things that is key in maintaining a positive relationship between doctors and patients is to keep the lines of communication very open. I've seen how this is very important during the past several months as my husband has been going through treatment. If his entire medical team is able to communicate with each other and with him, then the relationship is much better than when the lines of communication between everyone involved are strained.
@inertia4 (27385)
Well, here in america, the doctors seem to just be interested in making all they money they can. Now, I did not say all doctors, but most of them. There are some good doctors left that actually care for the patient. I think a lot of this deterioration between doctor and patient is based on this. I also think that most people understand that not every disease is curable. I think it is more the doctors then the patients.
@WakeUpKitty (8707)
• Netherlands
Times changed. So is the education of a doctor. They know less as 50 years ago, are allowed to do less. They mostly (over here) only ask what you want or give you a letter for a specialist. The specialist is not interested either, if you are lucky you have a date within 3 months. Many medication you can buy for free at the pharmacy, and we all know more about all kind of illnesses as our anchestors did. We all are more educated and if you have a chronic disease or some disease that takes longer to cure or won't cure at all you mostly know more about it as your doctor does. Many doctors are not even allowed to take a way a toe nail, do little surgery. Or they let their assistents do the job. They have no clue who the patient is or even recognize him/her if he/she shows up 1 week later. They are even too lazy to look in the computer in front of their desk why you were there last time. Being a doctor is not even a full time job anymore. There is less empathy for the patient. Trust is gone if you, as a doctor, are only asking what you should do. If the patient would know he would say so or not show on your doorstep. We seldom see our doctor, assistents or just someone who is picking up the phone for all doctors in the area will tell you what to do after reading an online medical encyclopedia. I don't think anything will change. Being a doctor is more about making money and showing off as taking care of a patient and willing to listen and find out what exactly the problem is. For many it's difficult to describe what exaclty the problem is, if a doctor just gives you 5 or 10 min. and is not willing to listen, to ask more questions to make links it's logical that so many medical mistakes are made. At 1 hand the doctor wants the patient not to bother him for nothing (just a cold, soar throat, pain in the ear, etc) and cure himself, on the other hand he wants the patient to to be able to discuss/describe at the same level as he does and be needed. But there are patients who know way more as their doctor does and nobody feels save in the hands of an idiot. Besides of the fact that doctors are still allowed to make every terrible medical mistake. That doesn't make you run to him or trust him. A doctor should admit he doesn't know everything, he has to show interest in his patient and be willing to find out what is really going on. If all doctors were like dr House I would be very happy!
@bulastika (5967)
I don't think so. If you are a professional doctor then you are a professional doctor. The doctor your mentioning is not a professional doctor. I think we must differentiate the professional doctor from the unprofessional doctor. Because its give a wrong impression that the doctors you are sighting about are actually an unprofessional doctor.
@jtj_hello (627)
I noticed the same thing too. Now, doctors would immediately attend to the needs of those who has money and not to those who greatly need their help. As a doctor, you are bound by your professional oath to serve you patient to the best that you can. In the case of the patient, they just need to trust the decision and judgement of their doctors because that's where their expertise is.
I guess it's the battle of Vocation vs Profession. If a doctor truly feels the care and need for the patient, then it is not hard for them to render the clients the needed treatment they want to get and achieve out of hiring them as their health care provider. With regards to choosing profession, some doctors, I think prove to be less ideal because they have licenses to protect, and I never wanted to blame the deteriorating kind of interaction that both communities are struggling to deal with to the patients because in the first place, the doctors should be the ones accepting and understanding the patients' cases. I am a nurse and we always put the patients' safety on topmost priority, and I guess it goes the same with doctors too.
@ShepherdSpy (8562)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
The Doctor/Patient relationship has evolved (or should that read DEvolved?) from where Doctors were regarded as omnipotent beings in the past and could do no wrong to where patients are now googling ways to second guess them in diagnosis and sue their a$$es in event of a screwup... that can of worms has been opened...there's no going back. The trust has to be rebuilt,but I have no idea how that can come about...
@Mashnn (4503)
I think the patient should first understand their rights as well as the responsibilities of a doctor. It is not fair to expect too much from a doctor yet if your doctor prescribe you to do something, you don't follow it or just do the opposite of what you have been told. I think a consent need to be signed whenever you start a new consultation with any doctors to avoicd the blame. The doctors on the other hand, should also follow the right ethics and proper documentation is a must to make sure that they are not reliable for patient's mistake.
I don't trust doctors . Even since one killed my mom. So I won't even go to the doctor. I know the Only way I end up at the hospital is to die , period. The only thing I can see that can happen is for the doctors to Really listen and not just dictate what is to happen . And Patients have to feel comfortable to talk to a doctor , not feel like they can Only listen to what they can or can not do.I know i Would Never fel comfortable talking to a doctor , so why go?