Have you ever done this?

Jacksonville, Florida
I know I have and I probably shouldn't but I have. When I hear a certain name and I know someone I am not crazy about with that name I automatically say I don't like that name. It has nothing to do with the actual name, but I just associate it with that person. My sister picked out a baby name and I just thought to myself I don't like it at all because of the person with that name that I really don't like. Have you ever done that? Or met someone with a name you don't like and wonder if you will really get along with them because you had problems with others that has their name?
@jillhill (37354)
The last two guys I dated were named Gary...no more Gary's for me. LOL....I am liking the name Bruce lately....alot! LOL
Are you dreaming abou the Incredible Hulk again? (Bruce Banner)
@jillhill (37354)
NOpe.....this is a real one! Woo Hoo!
Lol, I needed a laugh. Thanks ladies! =)
Though my likes are not strong my dislikes, even if few are very strong. Especially towards people whose behavior has gotten on my nerves. So, I would never ever fancy having to keep calling such distasteful name often. . NO.
Thanks for your response. I understand, I think more people do this than I thought!
No! Because I Live George Harrison but I loathe George Clooney.
Well thats good that you don't do it. Sometimes I wish I could turn it off! Lol.
Oops. I forgot. My least favorite names are Eggbert and Gertrude.
Here, Here Here! I love George Clooney! He can put his shoes under my bed any day! I cried when he went down with his ship in The Perfect Storm. I cried and cried and cried. I was watching it with my brother, and he was laughing at me for crying so hard... I love that man! I first fell in love with him on Chicago Hope.
@lilaclady (28270)
Oh yes I think this is a normal reaction, because you have peeve so to speak about the person the name becomes like a swear word, this has happened to me a few times...
Thank goodness I'm not alone =). I always feel bad about it after I do it but at the time I seem to always do that!
I agree with lila. While I can't think of any specific name that bothers me I know there are some that do so because of a past experience with someone by that name. Shakespeare once said "What's in a name?" but I think viscerally sometimes the association of a name with a bad experience can cloud our judgment. It takes some strength and conscious effort to work past that and learn a new person to attach to that name. I think, too, that this reaction is more common in younger people and as we age and our experiences expand we are less prone to it.
@thatgirl13 (7307)
• South Korea
Actually i have had this problem before but it was the other way around. I was really fond of this name and thought everyone with the same name would be as good too. But I was wrong and so these days I don't think that way :)
The other way around is terrible too! You think that and then that person hurts you and your devastated, that is awful!
@veejay19 (3592)
A rose by any name still smells sweet.However a person having a particular name whom one dislikes does not mean that another person with the same name is equally unlikeable.The name has nothing to do with it,its the character of the person that matters.No, i haven`t come across such a situation as yet.
Logically I know they have nothing to do with each other. I seem to do it automatically at first and then I have to stop and think to myself don't be so silly you don't even know this person.
hi lovingmybabies oh yes I h ave and I know its silly but the first was a kid in grade school whom I hated, his name was Isacc so as I grew up I wou ld really cringe whenever I met a man named Isacc and found out my great grandfather name was Isacc so I decided I must get away from this silly idea. my abusive dad was named Oscar and to this day I dislike p eople named Oscar until I get to really know them.Odd how we associate names with traits.
I think we all have! It's so bad. It is weird how we do that. Sometimes I will meet someone with the name Tammy and I have never gotten along with 2 Tammy's that I know so now whenever I meet someone with that name I cringe and say okay maybe you will be surprised with this person... Lol.
I probably have done that, but I can't remember doing it. My first thought would be not to like the name "Wayne" because that is my ex husband's name.. but I can't do that because my middle grandchild bears that name as his middle name.. so I can't say I don't like that name.
Yeah I think we all have at one time or another, Lol. I don't do it a lot but every so often when I hear a certain name I kind of cringe for a second. It's terrible!
@veronizm (909)
When we picked out a name for our baby both my husband and I would also say no to names that would remind us of people we don't like. It's just so weird naming your child after someone that would remind you of something not good. But so far I have no problems with people who have the same name as those that I don't like. It doesn't really bother me if they have the same names. I even have more than a couple of friends who have the same name as a certain person that I really really don't like. So far they don't remind me of her because they have totally different personalities. But I don't know....There is another person that I don't only unlike but I really really really really really really really (multiply that 1000000 more) despise and I haven't met another person with the same name yet, so I'm crossing my fingers I think I'd probably feel very weird when that time comes.
@bounce58 (17550)
Although I don't particularly voice this out to people trying to decide on baby names, there is one particular name that I also hate. And the reason is that I've encountered 3 people in my life that had the same name, and their characters are not to be desired. Of course I don't dare write the name here so as not to offend other people that may have the same name and who are actually nice people.
Lol, now your making me curious about what the name is and if it's my name! Don't do that to me bounce! LOL. Hopefully it's not my name because other people with my name that I have met act very different than I do... So I know we shouldn't do that but I know we all do!
@bounce58 (17550)
Oh no not you! It's a guy's name that starts with a K!
Phew thank goodness! At least you gave me that much. Now I can breathe again, lol. =)
who is the person that you dont like with that name? and why do you not like her? thats important!! i've only just noticed that your writing on mylot more again. are you back now? i missed your discussions :)
My sister in law Tammy is so mean and hateful and she is always spreading rumors about people and gossiping. I just cannot stand that name! *I am back! =) Yay! Things were just crazy for a while in my life* I am so glad someone missed my discussions! =) Thank you that made me feel good, you always do that. :)
Yes!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me think of the name Michelle. I love that name. I think it is beautiful. But there is a person from my childhood that spread evil everywhere she went. And I'm only half kidding. And because of that I would never name my child that, and every time I hear that name I think of her.
See, we all do it! Yay! It's not just me. =) LOL. I thought it was but I am so glad it's not! Tammy is the name I hate and it's my sister in laws name who likes to lie and gossip about everyone! Ugh...
@bnsp09 (258)
I do that a lot & I know I shouldn't. I could never meet someone with the name Billy and give them a fair chance because my ex husband had that name and I could never trust them or not think that at some point the person would hurt me. I know it's probably wrong but I could not help it. I think it also depends on how much the person has hurt you as to whether you would feel that way about the name. Do you agree?