When the World Comes Crashing In

It looks like we are going back to court again. This town has not been good for my daughter and I have filed charges against three adult men, one of whom is 41, for messing with my daughter. This has totally blown up in our faces as she has been sneaking out and living the wild life while Mom was lied to and kept in the dark for months. The current plan it to put her into an intensive program that is very structured which means she will be living there at the school, receive counseling and support to regain her self-esteem and help her to overcome the damage to her. The only obstacle right now is funding. This is going to cost around $55k! I might make a tenth of that in a year. So...I guess I'm looking for suggestions for fund-raisers. I will work my tail off to see that this happens for her. I know there are online fundraiser sites that are free to set up. I've seen ads for them but can't recall any right now. Any suggestions? Have you had to fund raise? What has worked best for you? Thank you to my friends in advance for all your support in this troubled time for me.
@sid556 (31005)
Hi Alaskanray, First of all, I'm sorry to hear about all that you and your girl are going through. How old is your daughter? I went through a lot of trouble with one of my girls and I can very much sympathize with this. On the bright side...mine is now grown and has come a long way so there is hope. I do think you ought to ask for reimbursement for your costs from at least the older guy. He may not have much money and reimbursement may come slow but still... Fund raisers: Look local. When I needed money to send one of my girls on a trip, I found a woman local that sold candles. Normally her candles sold for 8.00. She sold them to me for 5.00 ea. and my daughter sold them for her fund raiser for 8.00. They were big candles and comparible in quality to Yankee Candles. We had no trouble selling a ton of them. Being near Christmas, you could do good with something like that. I make and sell incense burners and if local kids need help raising money or anyone for that matter that needs the extra cash..I'll sell them to them for 5.00 ea. and they can sell them for whateve they feel they can bring in. One lady lived out of state and was marking them up over 50% and seling them! I think the key is to stay local. Good luck with your daughter.
Thanks, Sid. It looks like my daughter won't be going to the academy, after all. I am looking into moving to Pendleton and think that we will go that route. I hate to leave my friends here but my daughter has to come first. Local fundraising is difficult at best as I live in a very small isolated town with limited people to buy anything from me. Even yard sales generally only yield maybe $20 per weekend...and I hold them two days each weekend. Pendleton is about eight times larger than John Day (Our population is about 1900, Pendleton's is 16000) so I think I will be better able to make some money there than here. I plan to rent a storage unit and haul all my yard sale items up there to sell out of the storage unit. Frankly, I don't even want to have anything from that man! My daughter, by the way, is only 17. She will be going back to high school in Pendleton as a Junior and will then finish up and graduate when she is 19 so she will be my dependent an extra year, which is not a bad thing. Frankly, I love my daughter so much I have wanted to keep her a little girl forever. lol...but I know that can't happen. Still, I think the extra Mom time will do her some good and the foster care will be good for her, too. My bishop said he would make some calls and get her into a family up there while I tie up loose ends down here. I will be able to rent my trailer out while I'm gone and that will be a good thing, too. The Lord will take care of us and I'm sure we will make it just fine. I am so grateful to have the resources that my church provides! Please do keep us in your prayers, though. That always helps. Take care and God bless you, my friend.
P.S. If I have my way, that 41 year old will be doing hard time! He's just lucky the law doesn't allow me to exact what I deem as just or he would be a eunuch for the rest of his life!
@sid556 (31005)
WHAT??!!?? 41 YEARS OLD??!! Ok now that is just sick. I hope you get him locked away or worse!! I would make his name well known to everyone. You know he is just going to move on to some other young girl. My youngest is 17 and I do know how you feel about keeping them your little girl. I felt that way about all my girls. You definitly will be in my thoughts and prayers, Alaskanray! I hope the change will do your daughter some good which in turn will automatically do you some good. Your an awesome mom. This will work out..it has to.
@WakeUpKitty (8707)
• Netherlands
I never had a fundraiser did not even know that was possible, always payed my a.. of :-( How old is your daughter? Is she willing to work on herself? And what about these men? Shouldn't they pay for the bill? Go to court if necessary and fight them all no matter what otherwise this will never stop.
My daughter is a minor, obviously, and these men are adults. The old one will be doing hard time if I have any say in the matter, and he will have multiple charges levied on him. The other two we will see about. As far as getting any money from them, the two younger ones were working at McDonalds so they don't really have any money and the living conditions the old guy was in tells me he doesn't have any money, either. It is up to me to find funding resources. As far as my daughter straightening herself out, that is a lot for a teen who is already depressed and feeling pressure to deal with. No. If I am unable to get the funding for this school, we will have to move and that means I will have to move again and with my disabilities, that is a little too much for even me to deal with.
I know avon does fund raisers I could ask about it for you and see what I can do from here. I know your pain because my 17 year old was out with her 23 year old boyfriend. I pretty much gave it to god now and won't fight with her anymore. she snuck and hid for months. When I found out it was almost a year they were together. Now it is over that. so,I will be praying for you. Let me know about avon and I will ask for you. take care.
At this point in time I am desperate enough to take anything from just about anywhere. email me and we can talk more about it. Thanks.