You LOST my child?!

Ok this really made me angry. My 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son are attending street dance lessons after school, in the school hall. There are about 20 kids in the class and 2 teachers. Last week when I went to collect my kids, I turned up a few minutes before the class ended, and looked around for my kids. I saw my daughter, but not my son. I was still scanning the hall, wondering where he could be hiding, when another mother asked me, are you looking for a little boy? I told her yes, and she said he had just run out of the side door before I arrived. She came with me and we went halfway across the school grounds looking for him, then found him being brought back by a teacher who had stayed late and seen him go into a classroom. He had needed the toilet so he had gone all the way to his classroom. What shocked me was that neither of the teachers had seen him leave, or even noticed he was missing, and when I brought it to their attention they told me "well, there are a lot of kids, we can't always keep track of them all..."!!!!! I think I am going to put in formal complaints to both the school and the dance academy. I find this completely unacceptable.
@stary1 (6622)
marianne87 Good grief..you bet this is unacceptable. Your child is only 4 and even a little older needs supervision to go to the restroom. These teachers or adults in charge need to be told in no uncertain terms this is not to ever happen again.
I was really shocked. The other mum who helped me out complained too but we got no decent response. I have paid for the whole course and the kids are enjoying it so I can't just pull them out of it, but I've spoken to them and we have agreed if one needs the toilet they will go together and tell the teacher... its terrible that my kids can be more responsible than their so-called carers
@stary1 (6622)
marianne87 The adults need to be more responsible...no excuses for them. They need to speak to the group and set some rules...I am so glad erything turned out ok for you
Without a doubt that is something that is unacceptible, especially considering the fact that your son is only four years old. When my daughter was in kindergarten and first grade, I volunteered with their after school Girl Scout program and there was only two adults and as many as 30 girls involved. None of the kids that were under third grade were even allowed to go across the hall to the bathroom without an adult taking them to the bathroom. They should do something like that with the dance program as well.
They told me they had spoken to a 6 year old who said she could go to the toilet alone, and after that they just "assumed" the kids could go out and come back by themselves and didn't really need watching. Hello?! 4 year old boy! I'm his mother and I can tell you he isn't mature enough to go anywhere alone, he is very trusting and sees no threat in the world. He knows now that he has to tell his 6 year old sister if he needs to leave, because she is mature for her age and I trust her a thousand times more than those so called "adults"
@enelym001 (8333)
Well even if there's a lot of kids, it's their responsibility to look after them. Or at least check someone if they have seen the kid and check if his alright or has been picked up with the parents. What if some stranger picked up the kid, will they just say the same thing? Oh my this is really unacceptable!
Its not like 20 kids is a lot for 2 women to keep an eye on in a small hall. I mean every damn teacher in the school has 30 kids each day and they don't lose any!
@AishaBR (345)
Oh my I don't know what I would have done if I was in that situation! I would have gone crazy! I would have been lookng to fight someone! That is just crazy!
@SydneyJ (903)
I agree with you on this Aishabr!
@bounce58 (17550)
I think that teacher should have checked her brain first before she uttered her words. But if that was her real feelings, then she should get all the complaints! Having many kids in one place is not an excuse for losing one. Specially if it's not yours and you've been entrusted to keep them. I hope that you've already filed your complaint.
@WakeUpKitty (8711)
• Netherlands
I had exactly the same at the former kids my youngest two were staying. A lot happend the teachers never noticed. The little ones even went out of the gate and we found them everywhere on the street so we parents had to catch them. We complained many times. The teachers said they were watching the kids. Well I can tell you they did not. Me and some other parents decide to pass by the school at different times to see what is going on. No supervising, teachers even not in the classrooms already 20 min after school started. Boys kicking girls between the legs etc. We started writing the government, school inspection every week, the schooldocter anyone we could think out. Since the school was not willing to change we took our kids out of that school. It was the best thing to do. 20 Kids is not much with 2 teachers. It has to do with your own attitude, the way you pay attentions, the rules you make going to the toilet (where/when) etc that makes it work or not. I agree with you this is unacceptable if they are not able to watch your kid, if your kid is not safe there they only should accept 5 or 6 kids not 20.
@stanley777 (7175)
That is very unacceptable, they were really negligent about it, the class was just 20 kids and they were 2, so just 10 kids to look after. I think you should push through this so teachers like them would learn their lesson. Good thing he wasn't lost that long.
@Aja103654 (5663)
If it were my child, of course, I would be angry. Since the child is under their care at the place, they are responsible for the child's safety. From their reply, it sounded more like an excuse for their inability to care and monitor your child. It would help, i think, if you befriend someone in that school. This person you will appoint specifically to look after your child.
@SydneyJ (903)
Wow I would be very mad if that happened to me! How can you just let kids disapear like that and not notitce it?!? I work in a preschool with up to about 5 kids sometimes and I know where they all are at all times. I would definatly file a complaint if I was you!
I would if I were you. I had to call the police to my childs day care one day. Gabriel was 1 year old. I had to drop him off at day care every day a little before 7 a.m. so I always took him into the front door to where they were eating breakfast. The teacher there would take his stuff and sit him down for breakfast. So he had been at the day care for exactly a week and I got of work early. When I got up to daycare there were 30-40 kids in the back room (it was after school now) with 2 teachers. The lights were off and the kids were running around playing and watching tv. I yelled out Gabriel and didn't see him. I went back to the front to make sure my in laws hadnt picked him up and nope they hadnt. So I went back and yelled for him again. The "teacher" there asked me who I was looking for and I stated my son and I asked for her to turn on the light. She got all pissed and me and stated well I guess so. He wasn't there. I went outside and called my in laws just to make sure and then called my grandparents and NO no one had picked him up. I went back in adn the lady at the front counter told me that he wasnt brought in that day adn I told her YES I brought him in. SHe informed me that I was supposed to be signing him in on the sheet IN THE BACK office. I was like WTH Why dont you have the form in the FRONT office lady. So I finally found him. He had wondered through 2 doors and was inside a classroom all by himself playing. Needless to say I took him out of daycare that day.
@bnsp09 (258)
I agree with you! Not only was it horrible that they lost track of him but the rude response and lack of caring it terrible! I would raise hell if I were you! I could not imagine having to go through that. I think I would get arrested for beating the crap out of the two teachers! Good luck with everything!