I forgot to tell you my daughter passed her drug test..

I also have a question about her class. She went there for registered nurse and found out she has to start with a cna.. Now she told me after she gets her cna training she will be leaving the school. I told her to stick it out for the registered nurse. she said,she can't it is too hard to live there. So,can you tell me what this cna balls down to be like. My moms said,it is just like a home health aide. I don't want that for my daughter. she will not be able to make it on her own with that little bit of money. Plus here home health aides only get 20 hours a week work at best. I don't know one home health aide how lives on their own other than the ones living in low income housing..
CNA is certified nursing assistant. What they can do and how much they make varies from state to state and location to location. Here you have to be a CNA before you can become a HHA. CNA's often work in nursing homes, or hospitals. Some even work in correctional facility. It is a valid first step towards nursing and when I worked as a CNA I often worked fifty to fifty five hours a week. Everything over forty is time and a half. So for forty hours I made $9.75, and the other hours I made almost fifteen dollars an hour. Many people start as CNA then add other things like Certified Medication Aid to that. Then go to Licensed Practical Nurse or Vocational Nurse, whatever it is called where you live, and then some of them go to Registered Nurse. My niece started as CNA, she is LPN right now and will be starting more classes to move up to RN. CNA gives her a good job and sometimes different places will scholarship a CNA further up into nursing.
You told me more than I knew already. Thanks very much. I do hope she can live on her own with the income she plans on making with this. I can't stand her boyfriend and would not want him in and out of my place looking for her. I need her to live alone.
@Masihi (4228)
Yeap, I'd tell her to go for her RN as well - and also tell her that you Americans are lucky, us Canadians have to go through 4 years of university - not college, but UNIVERSITY - in order to be an RN. That was put into effect about 15 years ago by the Canadian gov't.
I will talk to her about it soon and hope it works out. She can't take all the drama and the getting up and staying up late to do chores.
Oh gosh! Please show her that she has made it this far...that she can make it all the way. A CNA is a certified nursing assistant. She will do all the work while the nurses get all the pay. She will work her buns off emptying bed pans, wiping behinds, and making beds for near minimum wage. She is looking at about $7 an hour or less, depending on what the minimum wage is. As an RN she van start at about $25 an hour. I started out as a nursing assistant and then got my LPN. When I retired I was making $14 an hour. I started working as a new graduate for $6.81 an hour. Really low pay for a nurse back then. She can stick it out. Tell her she is NOT a quitter. Tell her just to keep to herself if necessary and not react to anyone who wants to cause problems. Before long she will be making friends. There is a big WEEDING out phase. The ones who make it will be serious. The quitters and trouble makers will be weeded out in time. The longer she sticks it out the better it will be.
This is what I am afraid of with her. I need her to be able to work and pay her own rent. I can't have her living with me while dating her boyfriend. I just don't want him in and out of my place. I can't see hurting her with this anymore we have come far with her being gone. thanks.
I thought the loser was going to jail, at least for a while. I thought he said she was too immature for him. She needs him gone.
Well, it's better than having no training at all and having to be totally dependent on the state. If she's smart she'll stick it out and become a nurse. She's got to learn to stick it out during the tough times. She's already been through so much it would be a shame for her to quit now. She has so much potential.
@sid556 (31005)
Hi Gifts, Yes, it is the same type of work as home health aides and I believe the same qualifications. I think if she got a job within the hospital then she might get more hours but still, it is the bottom of the line. The are the ones that will change the bed pans and adult diapers as well as administer meds, etc. I don't see KK doing this job for long. I hope she listens and sticks it out and moves further up while she still has the opportunity.
@carolscash (9500)
She will be better if she can stick it out and get her RN or LPN. Some places here will help CNA's go back to school and get their LPN degree but not many anynore. She will do okay as a CNA, but she will do much better if she can hang in there to get her LPN or RN. I think that Kay Kay is just unsure of what she wants and she is going to have to get up to go to work and stay up late to do other things- clean house, etc once she is working. She might as well learn now to juggle responsibilities as it only gets harder now that she is almost an adult. I am a stay at home mom who works online and runs an indoor flea market booth and I must say that I am busy. I home school my daughter and there are many days that I get up at 6 a.m. and I am still finishing laundry at midnight. I would love to sleep more, but face reality that I can't if I want a nice home and to keep my daughter home with me. There are days that I can sleep until 7 or 8 a.m. and that is sleeping in. As for the drama, she will just have to stay away from it. She will have to learn who the ones are causing it and not be with them. There will be bullies in the workforce and drama in the work force, she might learn better now to deal with it than to lose a great job.
@winterose (39918)
well maybe she can come home and do the training somewhere else
higifts I wor ked for years as a nurses aide and here in California the wages are much higher now. but still if she can stick it out as a registered nurse she has a real career. she will make much more and it will be really fulfilling. I have no idea what Cnas make in New York might be good to find out how much they are paid the c stand for being able to do CPr on someone who is not breathing. she will learn all this. I would hope she would want to be the best so stick it out for an RN.If she does opt for CNA its still not that horrible a job I did it for m any years and loved it.she has got to toughen up a bit really.