Isn't It A Little Too Early For The Stores To Decorate For Xmas?

I live next door to a small, but nice, shopping center. The stores already have Xmas decorations up. Today, I passed other stores on the bus and I have noticed that other businesses are already decorated for Xmas. I know that the economy is bad and that businesses are hoping for a green Xmas. The predictions are that consumers will be spending more this year. But, I think that it is way too soon for these businesses to be decorating for Xmas. It takes away from the significance of the holiday. I think that it is even a little tacky. Thanksgiving is over a week away. It kind of seems that the business community can think of nothing but $$$$. I know that they need the money and they are hoping but three weeks is plenty of time for Xmas Capitalism.
• Marion, Kansas
I can understand craft and hobby stores going up early because if you are doing handmade stuff you have to start early, on the other hand, all of them have been at it since July it seems. Not so fun. I do my main celebrating at Thanksgiving. Christmas just is not special anymore.
Why is Christmas not special for you anymore? I love Thanksgiving. It is one of my favorite holidays. I do not have a problem with any business having a Xmas room or department all year long. My problem is with the decorations being put up way too early outside the stores. I live next door to a very nice small shopping center. The organic grocery store which is next to my apartment complex has green wreath running along its front from one end to the other. I can see Thanksgiving decorations for the present. After Thanksgiving, then Xmas decorations. Everyone who celebrates Xmas knows it is coming. No one needs to rush it.
I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and a Merry Xmas. I am glad to read that your life has improved so that you are looking forward to celebrating Xmas this years.
No it is the custom to think about Halloween in August , Thanksgiving in September and Christmas in October! So having decorations up in mid November is the new normal.
When did this new normal begin? I do not know where I have been all these years but I just noticed this year that Xmas decorations have gone up very early. I am talking about retail stores.
@bestboy19 (5482)
What is Xmas?
Xmas is short for Christmas. Have you never seen the word Xmas? I assume that that is what you were asking. Or am I wrong?
@bestboy19 (5482)
Isn't X the unknown? Are you saying you don't know Christ?
@ferbjohn69 (1129)
That isn't too surprising to me.:) Here in philippines people decorate early for christmas.Actually my neighbors have already prepared for christmas and have decorated their houses.Christmas lights are already shining in the dark. But I don't celebrate christmas.
I am not a Christian so I do not celebrate Xmas in a religious or spiritual way. But I celebrate in a non-secretarian manner. I celebrate everyone's holiday. Give me a holiday and I will celebrate it! I love Xmas lights shining in the dark. I live in a senior citizen housing community and residents go all out decorating their apartments, the community room and our courtyard. I work and come home at night. it is so nice to come home to the Xmas lights.
I don't get that bothered by it but I do think that it might be a little too early for it, but it still is a month away and some people shop earlier than December for Christmas items. I think the main reason that I wouldn't want it up so soon is because like you said, Thanksgiving hasn't even come yet. Because one of the other biggest holidays is soon before it and people are planning for that right now. I don't think the businesses are worrying about ruining the significance of Christmas but just making money. But as I said, I'm really not that bothered at it because its only a month away and you could look at it like it's building you up to the big holiday and getting you a head start on buying things for Christmas.
I am bothered by it. Apparently, others are not. I just feel that retailers could put off decorating for Xmas until just before Black Friday. It feels very greedy and tacky to me that they put up decorations so soon. Most persons buy food for Thanksgiving and not gifts so I guess that might have something to do with retailers playing down Thanksgiving.
@jambi462 (4598)
You would think so but christmas is obviously the biggest money grossing holiday we celebrate and I'm sure that they are just waiting for people to start pumping money back into the economy. I would agree on it being tacky, it makes you feel that the holiday is more about spending money and buying people gifts than actually being happy to have time with your friends and family for a little bit. In the end though it does feel great to get the people that mean a lot to you nice things. But like you I just wish I didn't have to hear the same old christmas music or see all the tacky little christmas decorations and things like that a month before December. In stores in my town they had Christmas things for sale the day after Halloween. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion
You think like me. It does feel tacky as well as greedy for retail stores to put up decorations too early. It feels like it is all about money rather than what should be the spirit of the season. For these businesses, maybe it is all about money but couldn't they be a little more discreet about it. Other mylotters feel differently. That is among the reasons that I like mylot so much.
@Triple0 (1907)
hey! I was thinking the same exact thing. In all the catalogs now, I just see all this Christmas stuff everywhere! It was just Halloween not so long ago and right after it finished. All the stores started selling Christmas things already! Why are stores selling these things so early? Maybe because they don't have anything better to sell? I reckon it's way to early. The shops here started just the end of October. Even my school has started celebrating Christmas! In the library, there's a huge Christmas tree on the table with presents. I prefer for the shops to start selling just a few weeks before Christmas, selling the stuff now is pretty early and no one is really in the Christmas mood just yet. No one is going to buy either because it's just too early to start celebrating just yet. For my country, I don't think anyone wants to spend more, we are all in a pretty tight budget here. So stores have been pretty desperate.
It seems to me that the push to do Xmas shopping began earlier than usual this year. The economy has been bad and maybe it still is but I have read and heard that consumers plan to spend more this Xmas. So maybe retail is getting overly excited about the upcoming season. But they are coming across as pushy and greedy to me. Not in keeping with what is supposed to be the spirit of the season.
@jazel_juan (15767)
Its Business my friend and in business its all about the MONEY and what is the purpose of having a business if you wont concentrate on earning moolah? Decorating early for xmas is part of marketing strategy, telling people they could start shopping for Christmas gifts and then the stores will now start having different discount sales which is all part of their scheme.
You are right. I never quite saw it like that. I like that you use scheme at the end of your response.
@besweet (7245)
• Greece
Businesses are trying to extend the Christmas period as much as they can because it's their time for earning. I think that if consumers start to feel that christmas holidays are approaching, they will get in the mood for shopping and preparing for xmas. So yes, $$$ is all they think about. I don't like how stores and media have commercialised every calebration just for money.
I am with you. I love celebrations. I celebrate everything. I do not mind people or businesses making money off of a holiday. They need to earn a living and then some. But the exploitation of holidays bothers me. There is plenty of time to put up Xmas decorations outside of the businesses. The day after Thanksgiving, perhaps.
@asyria51 (2870)
The halloween stuff was not even down before the Christmas stuff started making its way into the stores. The local radio stations are already playing Christmas music. I love the holidays, but this is much to early to be worrying about it.
I am not worrying about Xmas. I love the holiday season -- all the holidays -- . I think that it takes away from the specialness that should be Xmas when businesses begin to celebrate too early. Consumers are not celebrating early. Businesses are.
@lacieice (2065)
I'm sorry, but where have you been for the last several years? This Christmas preparations by reetailers is nothing new. Come on, now, think about it. In a few days, Black Friday will be here. Retailers have to be ready, since they count on that day to make or break the Christmas shopping season. Its only about 6 weeks till Christmas. You really don't expect the stores, as well as the shoppers, to wait any longer, do you? Have you done your shopping yet? I'm finished. No need to fight the crowds now. Happy Holidays.
Black Friday is not for another week and a half. The stores in the shopping center next to me have had their Xmas decorations up over a week. I think that it is too early for businesses to decorate. That's my opinion. I think that it cheapens the meaning of the holiday. Consumers can do their Xmas shopping without decorations. I know some persons who buy all year. They do not need Xmas decorations hanging up to tell them to buy. I am not Christian so I do not buy very much for Xmas but many of my Christian friends are appalled by the commercialization of Xmas. I do not know where I have been for the last several years but it seems like the decorations have gone up sooner this year.
@lilaclady (28270)
I guess they have to have decorations and such available for customers but I really think there should be a set date, maybe December 1st before decorations actually go up in the stores, I think it takes the thrill of Christmas away, as everyone gets a bit tired of it by the time Christmas actually comes...
I think that all holidays should be special. I think that it takes away from the specialness of the Xmas holidays when businesses put up decorations way too early. You know that it is all about the $$$$.
@mariahhh (1328)
• United Arab Emirates
I think it is okay for some stores to have Christmas decorations this time of the month. I have been to other countries and saw that they are putting Christmas decorations from the first Ber month (September). For me, it's actually a good thing. I can feel the Christmas atmosphere so early, and it gets me so excited for Christmas
I see that you are from The United Arab Emirates. Where is that? I have heard of it but I can not place it. Are you a Christian or a Muslim? And is Xmas celebrated in your country?
@mariahhh (1328)
• United Arab Emirates
Yes, I'm from Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It's in the Middle East. I am a christian and I celebrate Christmas, but most people here are Muslims. There are very limited Christmas decorations that can be bought here. I saw some stores with good Christmas decorations in a place where there are lots of Americans and British. That's the place where I bought a pine tree. Christmas are not celebrated here in Dubai, that is why there is no holiday. Good thing my company allows me to take a day of during the Christmas.
Nothing is too early for stores to put up Christmas. Here in the Philippines, after the Halloween, the store will already be putting up Christmas decors already. It gives everyone who passes by a reminder to shop at them for their Christmas preparations.
In the Philippines, you do not have Thanksgiving in between Halloween and Xmas. We do in the United States. And that is a major holiday for most. I think that it would be more appropriate to put up Thanksgiving decorations before Xmas decorations. But consumers do not buy for Thanksgiving like they do for Xmas. Do you think that consumers need a reminder to shop for Xmas?
@enelym001 (8333)
I don't why this was even something for you to think about. Even when I was a kid Christmas decorations have been put up early on. Some shops even started decorating for Christmas right after the Halloween. So there's no questions about it.
For some reason, I became very aware that the stores seem to be decorating outside very early. Maybe it has always been done and I never noticed before or maybe the stores have begun earlier this year.
@salonga (28061)
My Christmas Tree - Greens and Glitters
Well business is business so businessmen always take advantage of every occasion to make money. Christmas is one of those occasions when make them real good money so they want to start selling Christmas stuffs as early as they could. The earlier the more chances of getting more sales and more sales means more profits. I just hope they don't think of money first and foremost but rather of Christ who is the center of this occasion. Now with regard to their marketing strategy of decorating and selling Christmas decors and stuff this early, it is up to the consumers to use their wisdom so that they won't really spend beyond reasons. As for me I don't buy Christmas decors in those shopping centers because the prices are unreasonably high. I do buy mine in one big and popular big market place here in the Philippines where the same Christmas decorations found in shopping centers are priced half or even 70% lower. I just love the wonderful feeling those Christmas decors bring because they are to me a celebration of the day the Lord was born. They are signs that Christmas is just around the corner. I need not really buy those decorations because I already have mine which I use every year. I am just happy to see them for they really add some gladness in my heart. Christmas decoration are effective in bringing up Christmas spirit in me. Nevertheless each Christmas need not be costly. For as long as the real meaning of Christmas is in me my Christmas is always complete. I need not change decorations every year for that is not practical. I only would buy new ones when the old ones are already worn out and I buy them from the cheaper marketplace. I myself have already put up a Christmas tree and Christmas lights along with other glittering decors in my home. In fact I did it a month earlier because I really am excited about Christmas and would want to make the season as long as possible so I started it as early October nevertheless I did not spend that much. I just added few new flowers, balls and glitters and it did not even cost me more than 5 dollars. As for me I do love seeing Christmas decors in shopping malls because to me Christmas is all about Christ my Savior. Christ Himself is the source of my joy so whenever Christmas comes I feel so delighted as I see the world celebrating this significant even. This is the reason why I never miss writing in full the word Christ in Christmas even if it takes longer. Never do I shorten it to Xmas (no offense meant) because in my personal opinion, X can never be a worthy substitute to the holiness of the name Christ. Have a blessed Christmas everyone!
I have no problem with individuals decorating early. I have no problem with businesses selling Xmas decorations and other Xmas items all year. There are some retail stores that only sell Xmas items and they do that all year long. I am bothered by retail businesses already decorating outside their stores even before he American Thanksgiving. If they want to decorate now, put up some Thanksgiving decorations and then add Xmas decorations. And then New Year decorations.