Stop website Censorship ( Important info)

@swats89 (1731)
Hi. I use to visit free website for chat. But when i login today i saw on the logo of the website, "stop censorship" is written. So i clicked to check out and landed on this page www.americancensorship.org . It is written that today the bill will be passed by american congress to stop the free speech. So it will have direct effect on websites like facebook and tumblr, which may even shut down this site. Please visit the website and read the full info. Waht u think, is it a havoc or truth. Cheers.
@topffer (34634)
• France
Maybe I have not found it, but I am surprised to not find a link to the bill projected. I am also surprised to read "The government can order service providers to block websites for infringing links posted by any users." It can be ordered only by a judge in Europe and I am surprised to see this possibility offered to the executive power in a democracy. Where can I read this bill ?
@owlwings (39404)
• Cambridge, England
The link was not too easy to find. Even now, I'm not sure this is the best: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/show
@owlwings (39404)
• Cambridge, England
And this one: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s968/show
@topffer (34634)
• France
Thank you owlwings. I understand more what this bill is about. Piracy is a crime, but it may be dangerous that "In some cases, action could be taken to block sites without first allowing the alleged infringer to defend themselves in court." This should be used to block a site with no valid reason until a court decision. Except this, I would personally tend to support every law defending author's rights.
@owlwings (39404)
• Cambridge, England
It is something of a misinformation. The summary of the actual bill under discussion is: "This bill would establish a system for taking down websites that the Justice Department determines to be dedicated to copyright infringment. The DoJ or the copyright owner would be able to commence a legal action against any site they deem to have "only limited purpose or use other than infringement," and the DoJ would be allowed to demand that search engines, social networking sites and domain name services block access to the targeted site. It would also make unauthorized web streaming of copyrighted content a felony with a possible penalty up to five years in prison. This bill combines two separate Senate bills -- S.968 and S.978 -- into one big House bill." In other words, if a site were to exist purely or mainly for the purpose of copyright infringement, it would give the law the power to have it removed. Such laws already exist to deal with other kinds of copyright infringement (for example, the publishing of bootleg CDs and DVDs) and this bill would merely extend the powers to the Internet. Copyright infringement is a crime. The only sites and individuals that need to be worried about this bill are those which are already breaking the law.
@inedible (769)
But part of the problem, I think, is in the potential for abuse. Or in the possibility that such a bill would set a precedent for other, harsher laws in the future. Even if the letter of the law doesn't actually give certain interests the power to do as they please... Well, it seems rather likely that they are going to try.
@Rosa26 (2620)
Internet censorship poses a large and growing challenge to online freedom of expression around the world. Numerous countries filter online content to hinder the ability of their citizens to access and share information. In the face of this challenge, censorship circumvention tools are critical in bypassing restrictions on the internet, thereby protecting free expression online. I hope this law don't pass because it means that will be like dumb without own thoughts and personal points of view, it will means no liberty at all for us.
@ebuscat (5949)
For me yes to the one who love in that ay in me nothing to change in me that way.
There's no possible way this will pass because there are millions, yet alone billions of Internet users and there is no way they will be able to monitor each of us! This would cost so much money to enforce and quite frankly I think the amount is not in our budget. This is not a trending conflict so why would this new bill be implemented? It is in no way helpful to the online community and taking away any part of the freedom of speech we are guaranteed is going to stir a lot of trouble up!
@apples99 (6564)
Yeah I just opened up my Mozilla and it said stop censorship, I thought WHAT the! what does this mean should I be concerned will I still be able to enjoy the net and feel free or will the government make the internet too stricked to enjoy, omg I hope that this new bill won't effect my online activity too much kind of creeping me out I'm usually very respectful online when it comes to posting on websites anyway, but now I fear that one slip up of words could ban me on a website with this new law sign! I think this new law is the product of cyber bullying, because a lot of today's youth do and say whatever they like to other people online, and as a result people are getting hurt emotionally and mentally now the government feels the need to police the web aw this is not good news because what else will be policed online personally I don't like this new law with all do respect to my government.