Have you ever argued with anyone on mylot?

@Aja103654 (5658)
I think i have, but only mildly which I'm quite thankful for. With discussions, especially those that had to do with matters like religion and gender bias, attract many responders which have opinions that may either agree with or oppose with each others ideas. When I see people argue or get into a heated discussion over something, it intrigues me. Forgive me for this, but i think those discussions are the most fun to join. I have experienced a few light arguments, none of them got real serious mostly because i avoid getting angry with the other person or forgot to reply. I found one entertaining discussion yesterday, it was about religion. In mylot, there are members who are neutral. Some agree with what was in the discussion and some don't. Arguments arise when there are conflicts in opinion and neither of the two parties would be willing to accept the others opinion and instead they try to 'correct' that person or say something like 'you are wrong'. This leads the other to feel hurt for being judged for his own opinion of which he is fully entitled to and he answers back(in a way not all too friendly at that) Share your experiences if you have any. Have those arguments been dissolved? How do we feel when you are in an argument with someone?
@mysdianait (64058)
When does a discussion become an argument? I don't enjoying reading others throwing abuse at each other, telling people that their opinions are wrong and that there is only one that is correct, their own An opinion is just that, an opinion and I admire those who have one and manage to keep it without resorting to abuse, bad language and name calling. I have never argued with someone here but others have argued with me
@Aja103654 (5658)
Haha, there are some people who like arguments. There are times that i find it frustrating and other times entertaining. The entertaining ones are those that argue over something and no one can tell who is really correct, like on topics related to religion. We have different religions and therefore different beliefs, it's not proper to force your beliefs on others. You can share your beliefs but never force them on to others. Some Trolls on the internet have very limited vocabulary, because they only know how to curse. They are not good at presenting their opinions on a certain matter, they just go ahead and attack anyone who oppose them or make fun and insult someone who they don't agree with.
Say it isn't so! Who would dare to have the audacity to argue with you, MysD?
@stary1 (6622)
Aja103654 ..I don't think arguments are very productive. I prefer discussing over arguing. That of course means that all parties must respect the others opinions even if they totally disagree with them. I find I usually learn much more from people who disagree with me and I value their imput, even if I don't always agree with it or even like it.
@Aja103654 (5658)
Well arguments are not as productive as a good discussion(which don't involve mean remarks and angry oppositions), certainly. At times I find them entertaining, of course, not everyone finds entertainment in it. It's just me. It's bad, I know, the funny thing about the whole situation is that they are making a fool of themselves.
@stary1 (6622)
Aja103654 ...I too sometime see humor in the arguing...but unfortunately I am then laughing at them, not with them...
@mantis36 (4238)
and while you're watching the time at your wrist watch, you'll notice that the time passed more speedier than ever because we enjoy here in the internet hehehehe
@umabharti (3976)
yes i like argument,as if we start an argument then so many things come across and we try to know the other person views and opinions very fast with the arguments
@mysdianait (64058)
Surely it is possible to know the other person without resprting to arguing?
@mantis36 (4238)
very true @umabharti but arguing for the purpose of learning, and nothing else....
@umabharti (3976)
@ mantis sometimes arguing makes us away from our friends,and many times it keeps us away from making frineship with new ones. Good way of arguing is good,but should not argue when there is no valid reason or statement for arguing with the other person.Then it becomes just a headache to both the parties.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I have been in arguements before on here, I have also been the victim of people who've assumed things about me and been rather rude. The good thing is we have enough people on here that share our interets and beliefs, or if they don't, have enough common decency to stick up for us when we're being attacked. This is just a website, well honestly either way I don't see why people get so riled up about their own beliefs, trying to force them on others.
@stary1 (6622)
SomeCowgirl I am sorry that happened to you. I have seen some rude remarks but I have also seen some remarks that due to a language barrier could be taken as rude but not necessarily meant to be rude. That doesn't happen a lot because for the most part everyone's English is good enough to understand the meaning. I agree with you getting riled up is not good for anyone...
@Aja103654 (5658)
I wonder that too. Some people love to be right, even if they really are not. Even when there are already evidences that prove them wrong, they still put up a fight. Why can someone be like that? Is it pride? Aren't we supposed to respect others beliefs?
Yes, i have experienced being insulted for my opinion. I felt offended and i told that Mylot user and his friend. He didn't answer back after that, not even the friend. Now, i avoid that person and his friend . No matter how interesting his discussion is , i don't ever respond. I avoid rude and arrogant persons. They ruin my day .
@Aja103654 (5658)
It's probably better that way. Maybe those people didn't respond because they are also mad at you? or maybe they were ashamed of what they have said.
@swirlz (3138)
Or maybe they just wanted to avoid the conflict.
Whatever their reasons are for not answering back when i told them that they have insulted me , is immaterial already. What i just want is for them to know i was insulted. In my opinion, they realized their arrogance and decided to just let go of that.
Yup, I have gotten into arguments/disagreements/debates with people on here. Most of them were polite, even when we strongly disagreed with each other. Some of them got a little "heated", but when I knew the other person and knew that neither of us were being rude or offensive, then it was not really a problem. There have been a couple of times, though, when I have told people that they were not really being nice when responding, and those interactions did not always turn out very friendly.
@Aja103654 (5658)
It gets awkward when you encounter this person again in another discussion. LOL, maybe reading each others post won't be a good idea, especially when you are not in agreement. sometimes, no matter how nice we try to be to others, it just doesn't work out. -sigh- I've had similar experiences, but not here on mylot. In college I meant.
For the most part I do not feel awkward interacting with people again, even if we have not agreed in certain instances. I tend to speak my mind, so we could disagree on one issue and be in total agreement on another issue. Of course, there are some people that it seems we can never agree with, and I do tend to not interact with them very often, but fortunately there are not many on here. I can see how it would be even more awkward to have something like that happen in college than on here. On myLot, we can read whatever we want, and if we do not comment, then there really is not an issue. Offline, such as college, it is not the same, because we have to face the other person, so it makes it more difficult to avoid him or her, especially if you are in a class with that person.
@Aja103654 (5658)
I see. well, it really depends on how heated your discussions were in the past, it might affect your future interactions. Right, it's easier to keep our calm online and say something cool to the one who we disagree with rather than doing it in real life when you say something bad to a person online, you can simply vanish from cyberworld, get a new name, sign in somewhere else... in real life, NO. hahaha
@swirlz (3138)
Yes, I have been in arguments here in mylot. If it's a light argument, it's still okay since I understand that there are differences in beliefs and differences in the intensity people feel with their beliefs. But somehow when arguments get serious, I would avoid it because I believe then that it isn't beneficial anymore to anyone.
@Aja103654 (5658)
I use the words 'some', 'we', 'others', 'us' in a discussion as a way of sympathizing with the other members. By using the word 'we' it doesn't sound selfish, it sounds like we are sharing something with the other members. 'Some' is a good word, because in discussions, we can't often generalize about certain facts, this can easily avoid conflict. They are like 'neutral' words.
@swirlz (3138)
Yes, it's also helpful if we don't generalize in our posts too much. Sometimes it also helps if one puts "In my humble opinion" or "Just my opinion" after his post to say that he is just stating his mind and not forcing it on others.
@Aja103654 (5658)
yep, swirlz. those are few but powerful words. It will ease the tension, if there is any, in a discussion.
@bingskee (5237)
i think i had but i try to be very careful in disagreeing. a discussion is not a discussion if everyone just agrees with it.
@Aja103654 (5658)
yep, it would be boring if everyone agrees!
@ramonah (213)
It's true, discussions based on arguments are more intriguing than agreeing, agreeing is simple. You agree, you get a reply back like "oh, you agree with me. thanks. so fun. ha ha." then you forget about it. arguing is challenging and you don't forget about it as easily. also you can either argue and give up at some point if the other convinces you or you can be firm in your beliefs and not agree to the end, or endlessly :) Religion is easy to argue about because one can 100% blindly believe in it but some can still search with their eyes open. it's not math so it's easy to argue upon it as it has no really clear answer, like philosophy too.. To be honest I don't know how others are but I never get angry over an argument. I just calmly and reasonably present the facts i believe are right. I might let mysef be convinced by plausible arguments, and i'm not that kind of person that knows they're wrong but keep on arguing blindly, i hate that in some people really :)
@Aja103654 (5658)
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks somewhere along those same lines. You did better at explaining it than i did. There's always a limit to entertainment which comes from arguments like that. You would make a good lawyer, ramonah, with that attitude, you could really use that in court.
I didn't make any arguments on mylot yet. According to me mylot is a place to share our views on different topics and there may be a chance for argues but yet now I did not argued to anyone on any thing because friendship can be broken on this single reason.
@Aja103654 (5658)
Well, wonderboy, we can't really call those real friends if they can be destroyed so easily for very small reasons, ne sou darou?
@neelia_lyn (2004)
You are right. I replied to one discussion yesterday that has to do with religion and I was a bit surprised somebody reacted in such a way that I did not expect. Well, I could have just argued but I might lose my cool and say something I shouldn't have. I just laughed it off and hoped he will be enlightened.
@Aja103654 (5658)
Good move, neelia! Keeping our cool is very important! You thought ahead and avoided problems for yourself. I had a similar experience before, so instead of arguing I replied the person with a thank you. Hehe, but I'm not as kind as you are. You want the person to be enlightened, me, i want the other person to confused, angry, frustrated first until he gets the idea. Well, it's still the same as enlightened, i guess...
@boyuancy (1709)
I wanted to start an argument with this person. I had written an article and I gave its link. While other comments were constructively criticising, his comment seemed to be too over the top and arrogant. I wanted to report abuse but thought against it. And guess what, the next time I logged in, the discussion was taken off. LOL
@Aja103654 (5658)
We have got to be more careful when we want to start arguments, though. It would risk our membership and our earnings here, it's better not to start any conflict. LOL, mylot sure is quick when taking off risky discussions.
@nijolechu (1845)
No, I have never had an argument with another Mylot member here on Mylot. I am the kind of person that tries to steer away from conflict and don't much like to make troubles with anyone. There are many members here on Mylot and they have been very nice and welcoming to me. I think if you make trouble here on Mylot you will just wind up getting in trouble with the admin of Mylot and get your account removed.
@Aja103654 (5658)
Conflict is natural when it comes to people. It's our nature to be different from one another, we can't be all in sync with each other. That's what makes this world more interesting to live in, though at times, it becomes too overwhelming for us to handle. There are risks, of course, like you said. Our accounts and earning may be jeopardized because of silly arguments.
@stuckonu (726)
Arguing in real life doesn't solve anything and is going nowhere. How much more so in a forum like this? There was an instance where someone posts a rude remark on a discussion that I've created. I stand my ground, telling him/her that it was my own opinion and that we are all entitled to that. But I also am careful not to trigger further arguement. Thankfully, he didn't replied. So, there will always be some people who would argue but it's up to you if you'll argue back.
Yes, last night I experienced a minor argument with a another myLot member. I think I handled it very well because I held my ground and didn't affirm myself to far because I don't want to be banned and risk all of the earnings I have accumulated. Needless to say, he was very arrogant and I felt I put him in his place, and then respectfully, I stopped replying to his childish posts! In the future, when conflict is created, I will try my best to avoid getting really involved because I don't want to jeopardize my earnings!
@Aja103654 (5658)
Sometimes it's better to ignore them, because the more you try to talk to them the more they want to get their points noticed. There are many arrogant people in the world, some time in our lives, we will be able to encounter them.
@mr_pearl (5037)
Hi there... I don't recall having any argument on myLot.i always avoid arguing, even in real life. It gets my temper high and it makes me lose control over myself. It does no good to anyone, I know. So I avoid arguing anywhere and everywhere...
@Aja103654 (5658)
If there were more people like you pearl, the world would have been less chaotic!
@stanley777 (7177)
No, I think I have not.But I guess I have offended a member in one of my topics for discussion. Not really an argument though, but I think he/she don't like the way I put the specific word in that topic. It was not really my intention to offend, because before I post it I proof read it first. So thinking that the thought of my discussion is what I meant it to be I post it but never in my mind that others may perceived it differently. I have apologized to that member and I think all is straightened out.
@aprilsong (1886)
Up until now, no. But you know, i do have seen some discussions with the opinion i am against, therefore i wrote my opinions. But i don't think it can be called argument. Yes,you are right, it is fun to see the different views upon one topic. We are from different cultures and countries and there are females and males. Therefore there are different opinions. Thank mylot give us a place to exchange our views and learn from each other.
@lijoos (346)
one time......and it takes to the collapse. i dont need no more arguements,,,,just go as i am.
@Woody7189 (247)
No, I have never got into an arguement with anyone here on mylot. I try to use my interactions on the internet as a positive thing and therefore will avoid getting into arguements. Its one thing to disagree with someone, but argueing really seems to serve no purpose. Besides, what fun is an arguement? At least that is my opinion.